Room's reverb measurement

Do you mean taking a long sample like convolution reverb? We know that would require more processing power right?

Right, convolution reverb needs to much power according to cliff.
I mean measuring the reverb of the room with test tones ie time/length, early reflections and a kind of mix should be enough. The color/EQ added by the room is already into the IR. IMO
Then you could just automaticaly set up a reverb algo with these parameters.
IR + Room reverb seen by the mic (rebuild) should give the sound of a classic recording.

OK. I don't claim to understand the plan, but I do agree that room sound makes a huge difference to recorded guitar tones and it would make sense to develop an easier way of simulating the room

I think the request is clarified in post #3.

The request is to have the Axe-FX II automatically select parameters in the Reverb block by measuring the user's actual physical room response

And the post on the Kemper forum is a similar request of the Kemper team. The Kemper does not currently do this either.

But I do dig automatic parameter setting ideas like this.

I think the request is clarified in post #3.

The request is to have the Axe-FX II automatically select parameters in the Reverb block by measuring the user's actual physical room response
Right.
It should be done just after the IR's capture. The Axe could send some test tones in order to get the caracteristics of the room's reverb seen by the microphone.
The IR + Room's reverb should match the classic microphone in front of the cab.
Some people think that a microphone's record is more alive than an IR and i agree. The only difference i see is the room's reverb captured by the microphone.
By the way room's reverb has a an impact on tone and texture. It makes often details more earable for clean or distorsion tones.
I asked to the kemper team to implement this because there is the same room for improvment on the Kemper and i asked to the Two Notes guys too.(they claim that there is already a reverb but i think this is just the part covered by the impulse)

This scenario we have really often discussed here, no? Cliff stated more than once, that Convolution reverb in realtime costs to much CPU. And the influences of the room for NF IRs Frequency response wise (and i also believe, that there are some...) are (also) adressed by UltraRes IRs.

By the way room's reverb has a an impact on tone and texture. It makes often details more earable for clean or distorsion tones.

If you want this for recordings, i recommend to do some "room IRs" with one of the dozens softwares (Altiverb; IR capture tool in studio One; voxengo, etc.....) and place "your room" in the insert chain of your DAW?!

This scenario we have really often discussed here, no? Cliff stated more than once, that Convolution reverb in realtime costs to much CPU. And the influences of the room for NF IRs Frequency response wise (and i also believe, that there are some...) are (also) adressed by UltraRes IRs.

He's not asking for convolution reverb though - but rather automatic setting of the reverb block parameters instead by analyzing the characteristics of a room IR.

This sounds quite tricky.

How would early reflections be measured? Pre-delay could be another problem. Reflection density and the character of the reverb depends on the frequencies being tested and the delays before they individually hit the mic.....

I would guess that the processing power to get a viable accurate result that could fool the ears (and not meld into some form of generic sonic mousse) for an RT60 would be huge, but I know nothing about signal processing. Not sure if an RT30 extrapolation would do the trick as most reverb measurements I've seen were an approximation of the actual reverberant response of the room in question, which tends to be a wee bit more 'wavy'. Not sure if the ear could tell the difference.

Also, how many people would actually like the reverb generated by their practise space? Gigging with this at volume could sound 'roomy'.

And would it ultimately be worth the trouble?

It sure is interesting though.

Back
Top Bottom