Rookie Question: CPU reading too high...

cojoguitar

Hey Guys...

I know I've seen someone else ask about this but my searches render nothing.

Yeah...

Win 7 x64
Axe II (double duty as sound card)
FW 10
Axe Edit 1.9 Beta

CPU reads high (78%-79%) although the needle doesn't move more than a point or two whether it's a light' patch or a 'heavy' patch with tons of effects.

Ignore it? Is there a fix?

Respectfully...

Cojo

What CPU meter are you looking at? On axe edit or on the utility screen on the axe?

What exactly is the thing that needs to be fixed?

Many suggest not going over 90%. Anything less should be fine.

What CPU meter are you looking at? On axe edit or on the utility screen on the axe?

What exactly is the thing that needs to be fixed?

Many suggest not going over 90%. Anything less should be fine.

Both the Utility-> Status page and Axe Edit.

I asked, "Is there a fix?" because I just don't believe that this amazing device could be max'd out simply by using it as a sound card. I've been using modelers since the '90s...Never heard of such a thing and refuse to believe it. There's just some information I'm not privy to is all. lol :)

90% is high. 70% is not :)

You can change the cab block Mode to Lo Res, which isn't "low" at all. It's the normal resolution, and many can't discern between hi and low except when under a microscope.

There is a thread with many other CPU saving tips floating around here.

OK... Please excuse me for this blasphemous post...

Soo... I'd been using a POD HD500 as my interface for the last couple of years. Using it as an interface had ZERO effect on processing or functionality. Soo... Are you guys telling me that I've got to run my state of the art, mega-powerful Axe Fx II through my POD HD500?! Not exactly the rig I had in mind. lol I'll do it if I have to but what I've heard of the interface being a CPU hog thus far is unbelievable.

Regards,

Cojo

Most of the CPU is being used by whatever preset you've got dialed up. Preset CPU is based on blocks in the chain, including bypassed blocks.

The actual USB interface function uses only a few percent of the CPU's power. Your POD also took a CPU hit when used as an interface, even if the software didn't report it.

Most of the CPU is being used by whatever preset you've got dialed up. Preset CPU is based on blocks in the chain, including bypassed blocks.

The actual USB interface function uses only a few percent of the CPU's power. Your POD also took a CPU hit when used as an interface, even if the software didn't report it.

Roger that. Thank you, Mr. Rex. Yessir... The statement I made about 'zero effect' on the POD wasn't the point I was trying to get across. My apologies, Dear sir. What I meant to say was... Whatever load was on the 'usb interface'... It didn't effect any of the functionality, tone, signal clarity, etc... I never ram out of space on any of my presets. Thank you for your time and for clearing things up for me. :)

Warm Regards,

Cojo

Last edited:
Hehe I'm still not sure what the issue was here.

Sorry, Mr. Chris. I was baffled for a moment about the CPU reading so high while it was serving as audio interface but there was no load from playing. Mr. Rex brought to my attention the fact that the CPU monitor reads the CPU usage for the patch AND the interface. So... Of the total CPU usage... Only a small fraction of the usage is for the interface and the bulk of it is the patch. I poked around the Ax and found that the load varies widely from patch to patch. I get it now. Rex RAWKS! :)

Ahh I see. Yeah it's like 5% or so for USB, just the USB alone didn't make it 75% hah! (Which I know you know now).

Glad to help.

My apologies, Dear sir. What I meant to say was... Whatever load was on the 'usb interface'... It didn't effect any of the functionality, tone, signal clarity, etc... I never ram out of space on any of my presets.
Understood. It is possible for the USB interface to push CPU usage over the top, but only when the preset already has heavy CPU usage.

Back
Top Bottom