Ronnie James Dio

The bassist on "Mask of the Great Deceiver" was Paul Goddard from Atlanta Rhythm Section. The bassist on "To Live for the King" was Gary Gilbert and the album was recorded in Kerry's home studio. Sorry for geeking out on the details. Kerry used to live nearby and we became good friends during that time. He had a lot of great stories!
Very cool!

So I just finished watching a live recording of Heaven and Hell performing. Ronnie James Dio was a legendary vocalist. I had the honor of seeing him live on the Last In Line tour with Viv Campbell. What a pairing. I saw the movie Heavy Metal in a theater and that was the first time I heard Mob Rules and Ronnie’s vocals. His opening scream/growl on that song would make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. The greatest thing about Ronnie was that he was real. What he did in the studio, he could also pull off live. I would put him in the same league as Freddie Mercury. He did not have the range that Freddie had, no one did, but he was just as an accomplished vocalist. Any other Dio fans out there?
While Ronnie is/was a great singer, don't forget that Freddie was also a great composer/writer of some of the most iconic rock oriented music ever, which puts Freddie in a class of his own IMO (singer, writer, composer, front man, producer, Freddie did it all for Queen).

While Ronnie is/was a great singer, don't forget that Freddie was also a great composer/writer of some of the most iconic rock oriented music ever, which puts Freddie in a class of his own IMO (singer, writer, composer, front man, producer, Freddie did it all for Queen).
So you really don’t know much about Dio I would assume 🤷🏻

FYI, Ronnie also did all of those things... And Freddie also had plenty of help from the rest of the guys in Queen.

FYI, Ronnie also did all of those things... And Freddie also had plenty of help from the rest of the guys in Queen.
Performing, most lyrics and the classical oriented stuff was pure Freddie.

None of Ronnie's stuff has knocked it out of the park like Queen's classical oriented stuff, which is much more popular today than it when it was new.

Not disparaging Ronnie, one of rock's greatest singers ever without a doubt, but not the force of nature that Freddie was, and still is through his compositions.

Last edited:
It’s a shame that Ronnie let his wife/manager get into his head, which led to his screwing over the guys in the band. Once they left, his career lost momentum. He will always be an icon, but he could have gone much further with the guys that contributed to his first albums.

It’s a shame that Ronnie let his wife/manager get into his head, which led to his screwing over the guys in the band. Once they left, his career lost momentum. He will always be an icon, but he could have gone much further with the guys that contributed to his first albums.
It's quite ironic that he got similarly screwed over by Blackmore and then Iommi... And the movie points this out. Whether or not that was because of Wendy I couldn't say...

Although his career was still going pretty strong even after that... Mostly he was done in my "grunge death", I think.

Even as I fan during those days I definitely stopped following him after Lock Up The Wolves.

I liked the first album with Craig Goldy as much as anything with Vivian.

It's all opinions, man... ;)
Of course, though I profer the following in Freddie's defense...

a) Who's songs are still being played frequently on AOR radio?
b) Who's songs are being covered currently by large stadium acts such as Pink?
c) Who had a full length movie made about him?
d) Who's song is the most streamed?
e) Who's song is still widely played at major sporting events?

Freddie was a classically trained pianist who wanted to rock and break out of a rigid family/religious structure, and when he combined the two styles of music history was made in 1975! Queen's straight up rock was awesome with the contributions of Roger, Brian, and John, though it was Freddie's classically oriented rock music with classical dynamics, harmonic and rhythmic complexity, along with it's incredible production considering the time period and available technology of the day, that changed rock music forever!

Freddie's work has stood the test of time like no other excepting the Beatles with George Martin IMO.

I was lucky enough to see a press only audition by Freddie and Queen for BGP (Bill Graham Presents) back in the early 70's, back when Queen was just starting out with straight up rockin' tunes, before their collective genius was exposed a few years later, and I'll never forget everyone walking out of the Fillmore West with the same thought, that Queen was going to be HUGE!

Saw Ronnie and Deep Purple a couple of times back then too, just another really good rock band with a great singer. After the first two LP's, Deep Purple was for the most part Blackmore and Lord, and Blackmore was notoriusly difficult to deal with at the time, though a friend played with him later in life in a more acoustic setting and said Richie was cool then (I've never met him).

The defense rests...

Of course, though I profer the following in Freddie's defense...

a) Who's songs are still being played frequently on AOR radio?
b) Who's songs are being covered currently by large stadium acts such as Pink?
c) Who had a full length movie made about him?
d) Who's song is the most streamed?
e) Who's song is still widely played at major sporting events?

Freddie was a classically trained pianist who wanted to rock and break out of a rigid family/religious structure, and when he combined the two styles of music history was made in 1975! Queen's straight up rock was awesome with the contributions of Roger, Brian, and John, though it was Freddie's classically oriented rock music with classical dynamics, harmonic and rhythmic complexity, along with it's incredible production considering the time period and available technology of the day!

Freddie's work has stood the test of time like no other excepting the Beatles with George Martin IMO.

I was lucky enough to see a press only audition by Freddie and Queen for BGP (Bill Graham Presents) back in the early 70's, back when Queen was just starting out with straight up rockin' tunes, before their collective genius was exposed a few years later, and I'll never forget everyone walking out of the Fillmore West with the same thought, that Queen was going to be HUGE!

Saw Ronnie and Deep Purple a couple of times back then too, just another really good rock band with a great singer. After the first two LP's, Deep Purple was for the most part Blackmore and Lord, and Blackmore was notoriusly difficult to deal with at the time, though a friend played with him later in life in a more acoustic setting and said Richie was cool then (I've never met him).

The defense rests...
Dude... Read the room.

Someone posted of their joy for an artist (and in fact praised Freddie at the same time), others responded in kind and you feel the need to assert your preference like there's a competition in art?

Nobody has said negative things here about Freddie but you have repeatedly tried to tell us why he's better than someone we love...

Dude... Read the room.

Someone posted of their joy for an artist (and in fact praised Freddie at the same time), others responded in kind and you feel the need to assert your preference like there's a competition in art?

Nobody has said negative things here about Freddie but you have repeatedly tried to tell us why he's better than someone we love...
deakle said: I would put him in the same league as Freddie Mercury. He did not have the range that Freddie had, no one did, but he was just as an accomplished vocalist. Any other Dio fans out there?
Don't care about "the room" Dude, and was responding to "I would put him in the same league as Freddie Mercury".

It's because they are simply incomparable based on their published works. Note that I've never said anything disparaging about Ronnie, loved his voice and still do, one of the all time great rock singers no doubt, though their contributions to rock music history are simply in different leagues.

Last edited:
Performing, most lyrics and the classical oriented stuff was pure Freddie.

None of Ronnie's stuff has knocked it out of the park like Queen's classical oriented stuff, which is much more popular today than it when it was new.

Not disparaging Ronnie, one of rock's greatest singers ever without a doubt, but not the force of nature that Freddie was, and still is through his compositions.
Don't care about "the room" Dude, and was responding to "I would put him in the same league as Freddie Mercury".

It's because they are simply incomparable based on their published works. Note that I've never said anything disparaging about Ronnie, loved his voice and still do, one of the all time great rock singers no doubt, though their contributions to rock music history are simply in different leagues.
I thought you were joking first, but I think this is serious :)

I think a lot of people including myself would indeed put Dio in the same league as Freddy. Surprised you don't. In my opinion, I don't think they are comparable, both legendary and tie up for top 2 on my list...

Dio was a huge influence on me. I was first picking up a guitar when Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules came out. Then his solo stuff and digging back into Rainbow. I might have heard of Blackmore by then, but I really dug into with Rainbow first, then Purple. Listening to RJD with any of those bands helped get me through my teenage years, taught me a lot of really cool music, not just his, but through stuff like Hear'N'Aid, other bands like Rough Cutt (now there was a great band that hardly anyone knew about). So much more I could say... Such a great talent, dearly loved, and sorely missed

Back
Top Bottom