RJM GT-22 plus Axe-Fx III — How do you handle 8-scenes?

Daveis

Inspired
I’ve got an RJM GT-22 and Axe III. I frequently accept the default settings that get imported from the “Get All Presets” function. This works alright for presets with 6 scenes or less. But many presets use all 8 scenes. How do handle this? The device only has the 6 buttons on the bottom row.

Also how do you place looper functionality? For my use I’d like a separate page that globally always has the looper controls. I don’t want the looper functions cluttering the first page though.

I use buttons on other rows.

Actually I only have six scene buttons configured on the bottom row. Forgot I changed it up. But I can access all scenes with a two-tap movement. I have switch set to pull up scene selection on short press and preset selection on long press.

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 10.10.25 AM.png

Last edited:
I have 5 named scene buttons on the bottom row. That's the most I use in my gig presets. See pic 1.

To reach the others, I programmed the Scene Menu function as the 6th switch's HOLD function. When I press it, pic 2 appears.

I've got a separate page with Looper controls, but frankly, I don't use these much.

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0578.jpeg

Last edited:
I have 4 scenes on the first page, third row up, which serves as my main page for most of my live playing. Additional scenes, some channel controls, and lesser used presets/blocks are on page 2. I think I am going to add a third page and move all looper controls there, as I don't use them live but would like to have them available for practice and songwriting. Remember that any button can be most anything you want, so don't be held down by default programming. It's a great starting place, but the possibilities are pretty much up to your need or imagination.

I think I am going to add a third page and move all looper controls there, as I don't use them live but would like to have them available for practice and songwriting.

Post a pic if/when you get that working. I know there's no right or wrong way, but seeing some options is helpful. The idea that every button can do anything blows the mind.

For reference this is what the stock default "Get Presets with Scenes" gives you.

select_a_preset.jpg
Here, I select the excellant Mark Day preset on bottom row button 6.

after_selecting_preset.jpg
After selecting the preset I get the first 6 scenes on the bottom row. I like where the Tuner is located. Additional navigation is the upper right "IA Mode" and "Page IA Store" buttons. I'd be happy losing the "Delay 1" and "Delay 2" and replacing them with Scenes on this page.
after_page_ia_store.jpg
Interesting that when you hit "Page IA Store" it takes you to this page where there really is room for all 8 scenes.

Edit: If I add the new scene buttons as globals it works but I then have 8 presets on all pages.

If I add two new non global scene buttons on only page two it acts flaky on Page 1 with IA enabled. But works ok on Page 2 with IA enabled.

Last edited:
I’m not looking at mine right now, but keep in mind that in addition to any button being anything, every button can also be more than one thing depending on how long you hold it down. The Page/IA Store is one of those. Tap and you get the next page, which is Page 2 in the default setup but you can have up to 16 pages to scroll through if you want. The IA Store is another function activated by a longer hold, I believe. I haven’t gotten to that one yet!

Also, a single press can activate/deactivate a range of actions on multiple pages. It’s a little mind-boggling, I know. A lot like the Axe Fx itself.

Another function you should look into is grouping. It helps with buttons of similar use, like scenes, that you only want one on at a time.

I suggest you get on the RJM forum, under GT Discussion, and you’ll get detailed help from the main man, Ron, as well as other users. Again, a lot like the Axe Fx!

I have an email thread open with Ron. I was reading the user manual last night. The unit is probably the most powerful and configurable of its kind. But with power comes complexity and learning curve.

Yeah each button can be tap, hold, grouped with other buttons, and react differently depending on IA mode.

I’ll do a writeup with what I discover from Ron.

I have an email thread open with Ron. I was reading the user manual last night. The unit is probably the most powerful and configurable of its kind. But with power comes complexity and learning curve.

Yeah each button can be tap, hold, grouped with other buttons, and react differently depending on IA mode.

I’ll do a writeup with what I discover from Ron.
Why not start with someone else's configuration and go from there? I think @yek maybe posted his. I can post mine if you like. Mine is setup around 2 pages. Page 1 is everything I normally use. And Page 2 is the stuff I kind of use very rarely. And then there's a page for looper control and utilities and that's it. There's a scene/preset select button for navigating that's global.

Yeah this is real good. It covers everything I’d want to do. Thank you so much.

Select a Preset page lets me pick from 18 presets at a time.

Main page gives 6 scenes and Instant Access to block effects. One button navigation to scenes or presets.

Navigation page that acts like a main menu to everything including utilities and looper. I didn’t realize buttons can pull up other pages.

I’d recommend anyone new to the GT series foot controller grab a well thought out preset like this. You can back up your current settings and view in the MMGTEditor before you write them to the device.

As a newbie to the RJM MMGT22, I can't thank you enough for posting this. It's a brilliant layout and valuable lesson all in one. Cheers.
I learn so much from your videos and presets. I'm happy to be able to send some knowledge back your way!

Back
Top Bottom