RIP Friday Firmware

The number of entitled posters is starting to become a bit overwhelming.
This. Online, offline and everywhere.
There have always been people with entitled personalities but they were rare until about the mid ‘90s. I started noticing it more and more each decade but the percentage has skyrocketed in the last few years.
It all started with participation trophies, increased with cellphone use/internet and ease of getting any need or want quickly with online sales, Spotify etc. Sharply increased with social media (which coincides with when participation trophy recipients were raising their own participation trophy recipients) then skyrocketed during the COVID lockdowns.

:rolleyes: Sorry for the rant. You’d think I was getting old.

Last edited:
Look, people can post whatever they like I guess. Nobody has to read it. In the past there have been good-natured threads asking this very question, a place for idle and harmless speculation. Cliff even announced dynacabs on such a thread!

But yes it does bother me when people get itchy for updates after only a matter of weeks, and it irks me considerably when folks start agitating for a IV because they’re not getting an update fix. That’s more about my grumpiness than anything else. I do worry however that in the past Cliff has said that such carry-on, like the whinge-fest after that OTHER cab update (remember that?), can “suck the joy” out of his job and is “off-putting”. This is a problem, because it has the potential to… er…. stop me getting more updates 😂

Look, people can post whatever they like I guess. Nobody has to read it. In the past there have been good-natured threads asking this very question, a place for idle and harmless speculation. Cliff even announced dynacabs on such a thread!

But yes it does bother me when people get itchy for updates after only a matter of weeks, and it irks me considerably when folks start agitating for a IV because they’re not getting an update fix. That’s more about my grumpiness than anything else. I do worry however that in the past Cliff has said that such carry-on, like the whinge-fest after that OTHER cab update (remember that?), can “suck the joy” out of his job and is “off-putting”. This is a problem, because it has the potential to… er…. stop me getting more updates 😂
It usually starts off good natured and it's funny in its own way. The thing that sucks the fun out of it quickly is "the Axe is going to be obsolete" or "it's reached the end of its life", sky is falling nonsense.

Last edited:
That is a major insult to Cliff in my opinion.
Absolutely. It is a very unfortunate comparison.
Disgusted Jim Carrey GIF

and it irks me considerably when folks start agitating for a IV
irked by peeps pressing hard for more fw updates seems understandable since Fractal does not earn additional revenue directly from it and we just had a major update not long ago, but being irked by peeps pressing for a IV seems puzzling, as it will result in future units sold keeping Fractal viable and healthy as a business, + many look to new gens purely for the added capacity. I would think a user base perpetually jonesing for the next gen product would be a manufacturer's dream and the sign of happy customers, not so much a sign of UA (update addiction).

But even wrt fw updates, the title of this thread seems in bad taste just after a major update, but then again, Fractal has set a precedent of frequent updates at no added charge, and has done this successfully within their business model, so given that, exaggerated panic reactions triggered by a small lull in output is to be expected.

Last edited:
I’m sure we’ll eventually get a IV, but the III is just hitting its stride. I know nothing is “future proof”, but I believe the III is well positioned to last quite a while. Hell, if the Helix can last THIS long, the Axe should be just fine.

It's a "drama queen" post, stomped down by the usual "drama kings".

No insult to forum members intended, gender indications are purely for satirical purposes

I’m sure we’ll eventually get a IV, but the III is just hitting its stride. I know nothing is “future proof”, but I believe the III is well positioned to last quite a while. Hell, if the Helix can last THIS long, the Axe should be just fine.
Many users see it that way. The Ax FX3 does have that much potential. I don't think anyone wants a successor model in the near future. What is it supposed to do so much better?

In the roughly four years I’ve owned the Axe FX III, I’ve performed 75 firmware updates, not including betas, USB, or FC updates. In six and a half years of owning a Helix Floor, I’ve only received 19 firmware updates. Fractal sets the bar for post sales support and satisfaction that others only aspire to.

I don't think anyone wants a successor model in the near future
Well that would be incorrect since I'd upgrade to a 4 from my 3mk1 (I'm prob not the only one). And why would it matter to those who don't want / need to upgrade? - stick with what u have, no-one will be twisting any arms.

What is it supposed to do so much better?
Capacity for one - I can easily red line cpu in my 3-mk1 with a not so kitchen sinky preset. There's also a hefty list of next gen wishes here.

(I'm sure someone will say "just upgrade to a 3T" to which I would answer that I find the best value for myself has been to upgrade to major gen changes (I purchased Ultra in 2009, II in 2012, 3mk1 in 2018).

Back
Top Bottom