Right channel hotter than left on my AX8

REDD

Fractal Fanatic
Right channel is louder than the left channel. Its on output 1 and also output 2 with different cables. Everything is set straight up on my balances. I even tried the factory presets to make sure it wasn't anything to do with mine. I am running output 1 to our house mixer and output 2 to my in ear mixer and both are lighting up and slightly clipping on the right side. I'm running stereo. The I/O settings are just as I received them from Fractal. Output 1 and 2 set to stereo. Normal?

I think I may have the same issue. I ran both feeds to the board during the last show and was told by the other guitarist (who runs the sound) that one signal was louder than the other. I assumed it was the cables I was using. Still could be. I will confirm on the next gig.

Are you running multiple IRs? I use a stereo UR Cab block on my Axe Fx and had to adjust the level on one side by about 1.3 dB.

Also, try swapping cables... I saw differences connecting a bandmates HD500x, when gain staging in our mixer and it was cables.

Are you running multiple IRs? I use a stereo UR Cab block on my Axe Fx and had to adjust the level on one side by about 1.3 dB.

Also, try swapping cables... I saw differences connecting a bandmates HD500x, when gain staging in our mixer and it was cables.
I used different cables and tried one cab and then two cabs and also factory presets, still the same

I have noticed when using the VU meter that one side is a bit hotter. It's pretty close and I only ever go mono to FOH so I haven't really bothered about it. Could it be a global mixer setting. If you just have no modules (IE just shunts) is it still unbalanced ? Perhaps it is worth building the preset again and watching for which effect / amp / cab causes it to happen ?

Right channel is louder than the left channel. Its on output 1 and also output 2 with different cables. Everything is set straight up on my balances. I even tried the factory presets to make sure it wasn't anything to do with mine. I am running output 1 to our house mixer and output 2 to my in ear mixer and both are lighting up and slightly clipping on the right side. I'm running stereo. The I/O settings are just as I received them from Fractal. Output 1 and 2 set to stereo. Normal?
Can you post a preset?

I had this problem a while ago and for me it turned out that one of my cables was wired opposite the other.

I've had that problem since day one with my AX8. Luckily I only run Mono when playing out. The only time I run stereo is when I record. It bothers me, and I have shared presets with others who have told me that they are both equal on their end. Mine is the opposite of yours though, my left signal is hotter than the right. Another weird thing I've noticed, and I could just be dumb and never known this, but if I do run stereo the combined output signal that hits the board is about 5-6dB louder than if I just run mono out of the left or right output.

Just to be sure, perform a system reset.
Then load the most simple preset: Amp + Cab only. Reset both blocks. Make sure it's a mono cab.
In the Output block, check the Balance settings.
Now check the VU meters and In/Out meters in Utility.

I've spent a little time looking at this today, and I can not reproduce it. All levels are the same.
I figured it out Joe. Sorry to put you through checking on this for me. Strange fluke and user error combined. My in ear board has a hotter channel than the others so one down. The house board is running off the link out on my CLR's and I had the switch set to channel one out on one and channel out 2 on the other so one was getting a hot signal and one wasn't. Thank you again for checking and sorry to bother you with it.

I figured it out Joe. Sorry to put you through checking on this for me. Strange fluke and user error combined. My in ear board has a hotter channel than the others so one down. The house board is running off the link out on my CLR's and I had the switch set to channel one out on one and channel out 2 on the other so one was getting a hot signal and one wasn't. Thank you again for checking and sorry to bother you with it.

That's good to know because I was about to give the technicians an earful. One of the functional tests is to test the absolute level out and make sure it's within +/- 1 dB of spec.

Back
Top Bottom