Rick Beato interviews Ian Thornley from Big Wreck

MattBowman

FAS Social Media Advocate
I've said it before, Big Wreck is my favorite band, and Ian is just incredible. IMO he's got the best voice in rock, and they're just criminally unknown outside of Canada. I first saw them opening for Dream Theater back in 1997 and was blown away back then! They were using Axe-Fx III's for their last tour here in the states, so he's a Fractal guy as well!

I've said it before, Big Wreck is my favorite band, and Ian is just incredible. IMO he's got the best voice in rock, and they're just criminally unknown outside of Canada. I first saw them opening for Dream Theater back in 1997 and was blown away back then! They were using Axe-Fx III's for their last tour here in the states, so he's a Fractal guy as well!

I'll definitely be watching. I only learned of them since being a forum member and I'm so glad I did! What a great voice and amazing player.

Big who? JK! ;)
Like unix-guy, I've only heard of them via the forum.
Give me a top ten song list to get started on.

Big who? JK! ;)
Like unix-guy, I've only heard of them via the forum.
Give me a top ten song list to get started on.
That's tough...here's some of my favorite songs off the top of my head:
Albatross
A Million Days (killer solo)
Ghosts
Voices
Too Far Gone
Under The Lighthouse
In Fair Light

There's honestly so many! The only album I never cared for was "The Passion and the Greed," I just never took to that one. Ian is a master at layering just gorgeous vocals, and it seems like every song has some killer, anthemic chorus and just beautiful songwriting. He can shred but that's not something he does all the time. Monster slide player too!

Albatross
Ghosts
Voices
Too Far Gone
Under The Lighthouse
In Fair Light

There's honestly so many! The only album I never cared for was "The Passion and the Greed," I just never took to that one. Ian is a master at layering just gorgeous vocals, and it seems like every song has some killer, anthemic chorus and just beautiful songwriting. He can shred but that's not something he does all the time. Monster slide player too!
I'll check 'em out. Thanks!

Interesting that you didn't mention "The Oaf" b/c that's what YT pushes to the front. I listened to it and I like it.

I started listening to them when they first came out. I'm in Canada so it was on the radar here. Pleasure and the Greed kinda lost me a bit then later with Ghosts, Albatross albums I was a fan more than ever. They seem to just get better. I love the latest EP "Pages" . Saw them in concert few months ago and it was stellar.

Great interview. I found out about Big Wreck and Ian during the Suhr factory show a number of years back at NAMM. Watched the video and went down a rabbit hole.... LOL.... Just saw them live in Phoenix recently. Definitely a live show highlight for me.

Albatross
Ghosts
Voices
Too Far Gone
Under The Lighthouse
In Fair Light

TP&TG is my fav album from them.... I think the unknown wait was one of the big reasons. It isn’t as immediate as ILMO.

That album is probably their peak with layers, alt tunings & style.

Inhale (one of their heaviest songs)
Undersold (zed lep with actual balls!)
No fault
West Virgina
Breakthrough (probably my favorite song of theirs)
and many more! Mistake really seems to hit some people as well.

Was even worse coupled with the hiatus right after :(

I've been checking out many of their tunes the past few days. Can't say they click with me in general but definitely some bright spots in there. Interesting comment above about him being a good fit for Soundgarden; gotta say I can see that. I also watched two other interviews with Ian and he's a really likeable fellow.

No matter what, the guy is a monster on the guitar. Here's an incredible solo he did in Austin (I presume with a side project).

• Love
Reactions: JTI
I've been checking out many of their tunes the past few days. Can't say they click with me in general but definitely some bright spots in there. Interesting comment above about him being a good fit for Soundgarden; gotta say I can see that. I also watched two other interviews with Ian and he's a really likeable fellow.

No matter what, the guy is a monster on the guitar. Here's an incredible solo he did in Austin (I presume with a side project).

That's the current line-up of Big Wreck from their last tour - He's running through an AXFXIII

That's the current line-up of Big Wreck from their last tour - He's running through an AXFXIII
I just got up to speed via Wikipedia. Looks like Ian is the only original member of the group after breaking up in '03. Hate it when that happens. Seems like there was some certain mojo going on with the original four at Berkeley.

Back
Top Bottom