Rhoads vs Rhoads

The Rhoads Chrome, or Pinstriped

• Total voters

gigawatt

Experienced
Ok I promise this will be the last one, or two (guitars). I am trying to decide between these two Indonesian (whom I've developed a newfound faith for with my Jem 77P) Randy Rhoads V's, up first is the Jackson Pro Series Rhoads RR, black with chrome appointments ;)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Some pics from the listing:
f99yt6gijsajxja9pd07.jpg

r3v9tj64hcrmt8ja1rqs.jpg

jpa5ai7lahfzf1yvtjvq.jpg

svaygozmrpzqhevcfleh.jpg

From Jackson:

The fearsome, the terrible, crocostimpy! Pro Series RR Rhoads features a mahogany body, (yeah right, I'm 99% sure it's Nato, I mean, do you know of any guitars made of Honduras mahogany in Indonesia?) through-body maple neck with graphite reinforcement and hand-rubbed oil finish, compound-radius (12"-16") ebony fingerboard with 22 jumbo frets and alumiloid shark fin inlays, Seymour Duncan® Distortion Mayhem (bridge) and (neck) humbucking pickups and 3-way toggle switching, Floyd Rose® bridge, Chrome hardware and Dunlop® strap locks. Available in Gloss Black.

Jackson's website:
https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/all/pro-series-rhoads-rr/2914444503
Reverb listing $450 + $45 shipping. Retail about $950. no case
https://reverb.com/item/12961279-jackson-pro-series-rr-black-chrome

Funny, they say this (in blue) and show the picture below...

The Duncan Distortion Mayhem humbucking pickups incorporate a massive ceramic magnet and hot coil windings to deliver well-balanced rock and metal tones that have rich upper midrange harmonic content. These high-output pickups deliver searing lead tone and crunchy rhythms, and also clean up well for smooth, fluid solos under high gain. The pickups are mounted to the body for increased resonance and vibration transfer, adding more punch and sustain to your sound. The Reverb listing says Duncan JB bridge and '59 neck, I msgd. about that.

jksn_highlight_2914444576_PICKUP.jpg

It comes in different colors, please don't try to vote for the white one.

Features:
Model Name:pro Series Rhoads RR, Ebony Fingerboard, Gloss Black
Model Number:2914444503
Series:pro Series
MSRP:$1328.66
Color:Gloss Black
BODY
Body Material:Mahogany
Body Finish:Gloss Polyester
Body Shape:Rhoads
NECK
Neck Material:Maple
Neck Finish:Hand-Rubbed Oil
Neck Binding:White
Scale Length:25.5" (64.8 cm)
Fingerboard:Ebony
Fingerboard Radius:12" to 16" Compound Radius (304.8 mm to 406.4 mm)
Number of Frets:22
Fret Size:Jumbo
String Nut:Floyd Rose® Locking
Nut Width:1.6875" (42.8 mm)
Position Inlays:Alumiloid Shark Fin
Head Stock Binding:White
Headstock:Jackson® Pointed 6-In-Line
ELECTRONICS
Bridge Pickup:Direct Mount Seymour Duncan® Distortion Mayhem Humbucking
Neck Pickup:Direct Mount Seymour Duncan® Distortion Mayhem Humbucking
Controls:Master Volume, Master Tone
Pickup Switching:3-Position Toggle: Up: Neck Pickup, Middle: Bridge and Neck Pickups, Down: Bridge Pickup
Pickup Configuration:HH
HARDWARE
Bridge:Floyd Rose® FRT-O1000 Double-Locking Tremolo (Recessed)
Hardware Finish:Chrome
Tuning Machines:Jackson® Sealed Die-Cast
Pickguard:Chrome
Control Knobs:Dome Style
Switch Tips:Black
MISCELLANEOUS
Strings:NPS, .009-.042 Gauges

Up next is the Jackson Rhoads RRXMG black with white pinstripes:

The Jackson Rhoads RRXMG has a basswood body, through-body maple neck and active EMG® 85 (neck possibly an 89) and 81 (bridge) humbucking pickups that deliver well-balanced tone with tight bass, glassy mids and crunching highs. Its bound compound-radius rosewood fingerboard curves more dramatically at the nut for easy chording and flattens out as it approaches the neck joint for low-action bends without fretting out. Other features include Floyd Rose® Special double-locking two-point tremolo, 24 jumbo frets and three-way pickup switching. Available in several finishes.

71482_hr1.jpg

Actual listing pics below:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

See the nick in the finish below?
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I has two volumes and a tone.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I guess there's a bit of an unfair advantage for this one with better pictures, although not necessarily an advantage when it shows a chunk taken out of the finish right where your forearm goes :eek:. I'll see if there are any more pics I can find for the Pro RR.

Features:
This Jackson Rhoads RRXMG features a basswood body with a white/black pinstriped finish. The maple neck features neck-thru construction, which provides great sustain and an extremely cozy neck heel that doesn't limit upper register access at all. With the 12" - 16" compound radius, you'll never have trouble bending high notes or playing faster riffs down low. The fretboard is rosewood and it features 24 frets and pearloid sharkfin inlays. For pickups, this axe sports the tried and true metal pairing of an EMG 81 in the bridge and an EMG 85 in the neck. You'll find this exact setup in the rigs of many of metal's top players. The Floyd Rose Special Locking bridge means that you can dive bomb to your heart's content and never worry about the guitar going out of tune. At 1.75", the nut width is very comfortable for getting intricate and precise up high. This is a great axe that does justice to the one and only Randy Rhoads.

1.75" nut as opposed to 1.6875, I like that a lot. Sometimes my fat fingertips (they're not really fat, that's just my excuse) hit other strings while playing chords and whatnot so a wider neck helps.

• Body Material: Basswood
  • Body Finish: Gloss
  • Body Shape: Rhoads
  • Neck Material: 3-Piece Maple Neck-Through-Body with Graphite Reinforcement
  • Neck Finish: Gloss / Painted
  • Neck Shape: Speed Neck
  • Neck Binding: 1-Ply White
  • Scale Length: 25.5" (64.8 cm)
  • Fingerboard: Rosewood
  • Fingerboard Radius: 12" to 16" Compound Radius (304.8 mm to 406.4 mm)
  • Number of Frets: 24
  • Fret Size: Jumbo
  • String Nut: Floyd Rose® Special Locking
  • Nut Width: 1.75" (44.45 mm)
  • Position Inlays: Pearloid Sharkfin
  • Truss Rods: Dual-Action
  • Head Stock Binding: 1-Ply White
  • Headstock: Jackson® Pointed 6-In-Line
  • Bridge Pickup: EMG® 81 Humbucking
  • Neck Pickup: EMG® 85 Humbucking
  • Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
  • Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
  • Pickup Configuration: HH
  • Bridge: Floyd Rose® Special Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo
  • Hardware Finish: Black
  • Tuning Machines: Jackson® Sealed Die-Cast
  • Control Knobs: Knurled Dome
  • Switch Tips: Black
  • Strings: NPS, .009-.042 Gauges
  • Unique Features: White Binding on Neck and Headstock, Black Painted Headstock with White Jackson® Logo, Knurled Dome Control Knobs

$430 + $35 shipping Retail about $950
Reverb listing:
https://reverb.com/item/3353023-jac...ith-white-pinstripes-6-string-electric-guitar

Please take the Poll! :)

Last edited:
Added more pics ^^

So what it comes down to:
Active or passive pickups
Rosewood 24 fret or Ebony 22 fret fingerboard
Basswood or Eastern Mahogany/Nato
Pinstripes or Chrome
Painted neck or Oiled neck
Pearloid or Aluminoid fretboard inlays
1.75' (1 3/4") or 1.6875" (1 11/16") nut width
2 Volume 1 Tone with Slide Switch or 1 volume 1 tone w Toggle Switch
Edit:
2 EMG 81, 85 or 2 Seymour Duncan Distortion pickups

Last edited:
The last one? Yeah right. I believe that when I see it. *cough* post whore *cough* ;)

And +1 for chrome.

Wow! Nobody likes the pinstripes? or is it the EMG's? How about its wider neck, or 24 frets?

The last one? Yeah right. I believe that when I see it. *cough* post whore *cough* ;)

And +1 for chrome.

"Muad'Dib, even your name is a weapon."

He is the king of all the land
In the Kingdom of the sands
Of a time tomorrow
He rules the sand worms and the Fremen
In a land amongst the stars
Of an age tomorrow
He is destined to be a King
He rules over everything
On the land called planet Dune
Body water is your life
And without it you would die
On the desert the planet Dune
Without a still suit you would fry
On the sands so hot and dry
In a world called Arrakis
It is a land that's rich in spice
The sand riders and the "mice"
That they call the "Muad'Dib"
He is the Kwizatz Haderach
He is born of Caladan
And will take the Gom Jabbar
He has the power to foresee
Or to look into the past
He is the ruler of the stars
The time will come for him
To lay claim his crown
And then the foe yes
They'll be cut down
You'll see he'll be the
Best that there's been
Messiah supreme
True leader of men
And when the time
For judgement's at hand
Don't fret he's strong
And he'll make a stand
Against evil and fire
That spreads through the land
He has the power
To make it all end

To Tame A Land
Iron Maiden
Stephen Percy Harris

5 for the Chrome, 0 for the Pinstripes. Why all the dislike for the Pinstriped, I mean, it's like Randy's original Concorde only a negative, 24 frets, and that 1.75" wide nut! I haven't had a nut that wide since 2005 on a Soloist, can't remember if that's R4 or R5. ...and the pearloid inlays you can actually see as opposed to the aluminoid where you can barely see them if you dim the lights a little. Two volume knobs so you can do that fast switch on and off really fast thing. Two EMG's like Zakk Wilde's set as opposed to two Duncan Distortions like, well, nobody o_O.

What is it you like about the Chrome and don't like about the Pinstripes? Thanks for all your replies by the way :). @dr bonkers @1poorplayer @Muad'zin @symphx and @bishop5150 or as we in Chicago call it FiddyoneFiddy ;).

5 for the Chrome, 0 for the Pinstripes. Why all the dislike for the Pinstriped, I mean, it's like Randy's original Concorde only a negative, 24 frets, and that 1.75" wide nut! I haven't had a nut that wide since 2005 on a Soloist, can't remember if that's R4 or R5. ...and the pearloid inlays you can actually see as opposed to the aluminoid where you can barely see them if you dim the lights a little. Two volume knobs so you can do that fast switch on and off really fast thing. Two EMG's like Zakk Wilde's set as opposed to two Duncan Distortions like, well, nobody o_O.

What is it you like about the Chrome and don't like about the Pinstripes? Thanks for all your replies by the way :). @dr bonkers @1poorplayer @Muad'zin @symphx and @bishop5150 or as we in Chicago call it FiddyoneFiddy ;).
The only thing that could make the chrome version look more amazing is if the pickguard and control plates wer made highly chromed diamond plate.

The pinstripes may have been Randy's thing, but it just doesn't float my boat.

Nope! Lefty fugly ugly, righty chromy goodness.

But if you're that dead set on the pin stripes, then why bother with the poll result? The whole point was to help you determine which one you wanted. Even though the poll result may be different it would seem that it helped you determine a favorite.

Damn! I had just written a response and literally 1 second b4 i could click "Post Reply" the page disappeared and refreshed itself and my post was gone! :( I'm sure your heart bleeds for me Muad'dib...;)

@Muad'zin Nah, the only thing I'm dead set on is living ;). I'm still on the fence mainly because the Pinstripe has a wider nut (1 3/4") and I like that, if they were the same I'd go with the chrome. Now if the pinstripes, pickguard, and all the hardware were gold and it had a brass truss rod cover with the letters RR engraved on it this post wouldn't exist. :cool:

The chrome rings and guard create an entirely different vibe than the pin stripe...chrome is an easy win.

Seems like you've got an obsession for the Rhodes v's....I appreciate a good guitar obsession. Keep shopping until you can't count how many you have.
So my vote is....buy them both!

I have a small obsession with 80s Aria Pro guitars that were zebra or tiger stripped. The music store I took lessons at when I was a kid had them on the wall, and I always wanted one.
I just finished the collection last week, I have the V, the Explorer and the strat....all in zebra.

I have a variation of both myself. I have the white pinstripe and originally an all black version of the other that I changed out the black plate and pup rings for gold. Still need to change out the black Jackson trem for a gold Floyd. The Pinstripe plays fantastic. Love that freakin guitar. It’s plays like butter. I changed out the pups to EMG’s which is what I use for all my gigging guitars in my Ozzy tribute and had it rewired to do the staccato trick you mentioned above. There’s just something really sharp looking about the chrome one. I would get that one.
510D6B45-0D39-45CF-822C-F35E50663A32.jpeg

The chrome rings and guard create an entirely different vibe than the pin stripe...chrome is an easy win.

Seems like you've got an obsession for the Rhodes v's....I appreciate a good guitar obsession. Keep shopping until you can't count how many you have.
So my vote is....buy them both!

I have a small obsession with 80s Aria Pro guitars that were zebra or tiger stripped. The music store I took lessons at when I was a kid had them on the wall, and I always wanted one.
I just finished the collection last week, I have the V, the Explorer and the strat....all in zebra.

Dude it's like you're inside my noggin! Got any pictures? I had an Aria Pro back in the day, it was white though. It had a scalloped fretboard (the whole fretboard, not just a few). It was a hack job that looked like it was done with a carving knife but it played awesome! Once you got used to it. God I wish I still had that guitar, I don't know whatever happened to it. o_O They were MIJ right?

Yeah I love V's, been a V player since I was 18, that was a black Gibson Flying V. Later friends got me into Jackson's and then it was over, love at first sight! I prefer King V's but the Rhoads have many more options, and one of my best playing and sounding guitars was a USA RR1 Lightning Sky graphic. But my all time favorite is a MIJ Grover Jackson KV2 that was silver sparkle that I soon got sick of and painted white, except the headstock so you can still see the name:

4H White KV2.jpg
It was made to be on a stage, it cut through like nobody's business!

Then had a custom job done so now it looks like this:
Jackson Grover KV2 EXTERMINATE!.jpg
It's the only pic I have of it until I get it back from my friend's house.

Ok I'll show ya the latest addition :):
IMG_2272.JPG
Silver Sparkle :p Green Sparkle :D

"So my vote is....buy them both!" @BBN I just might do that! I've been waiting on a guitar off eBay to be shipped for over a week. I already asked to cancel and get a refund but then the seller offered free shipping, $40 off, and like an idiot I said OK. Haven't heard from him since, and he has 100% feedback with over 1000 transactions since 2001! Uggh, why me. Anyway this is the guitar:
s-l1600.jpg

It was kind of an impulse buy but the guy did the custom paint job himself, having done a few of my own I can appreciate that, and he was very communicative before the sale, then once last Saturday came around he became unreachable. I sent out a cancel order msg, still no re until I had eBay get a hold of him, that's when he said he'd either send a refund or take $40 off for shipping. the guitar only cost $325 so I was like - ok. Jesus. ...but hey I still got the
Green Sparkle! :D <= It even matches this guy!

Back
Top Bottom