Rex Brown Bass tone!

hjalli

I believe this is what the world needs! Let's get inspired by Rex Brown's bass tone and see what Axe FX II is capable of.

If you can come up with a preset that builds upon Rex's tone, please share it here.

That's very easy to duplicate. It's just a scooped EQ. Just make a preset with a graphic EQ and maybe a drive block to put a little extra drive / grind on it and maybe a low pass filter at 10k and you're done. You should be able to create your own preset with very little difficulty. It's always better to create your own because then you can tune the preset to your particular instrument. Someone else could ball park it for you, but you'll still need to adjust it for your own bass and pickups. My EMGs aren't going to sound the same as Bartolinis for example.

Last edited:
Preset

Well, initially I was a little reluctant to put an overdrive in front of the whole rig so I split the bass in two, put a high pass on the distorted channel to get rid of the fuzzy bottom and put a low pass on the cleaner channel. That is the first sample. The second one is the same setting but scooped. The third sample is just a fat rat before the scooped SVT.

View attachment Rex Brown.syx
View attachment Rex Brown (scooped).syx
View attachment Rex Brown (simple scooped).syx

Clipboard02.gif
Clipboard03.gif

That's very easy to duplicate.

I do not intend to duplicate anything. I wanted to engage in a communication inspired by the sample to see how other people might approach building the sound with axe fx.

Last edited:
I'll work on something when I get the chance. I'll be busy for the next couple of days, but after that I'll have time to work on it and post the results.

Back
Top Bottom