Review on my first modeler, the AX8.

maddnotez

If it isn't obvious already from all of the basic questions I ask here, I am brand new to modeling. I got my first modeler and first Fractal product (the AX8) about a month ago. I kept going back and forth on weather I was going to keep it or not but after spending a fair amount of time with it and learning how to use it I can confidently say that I made the right choice and I will be using this for the unforeseeable future.

It has simply passed every test with flying colors. Yes, it may take some time and patience, lots of research and playing around with it but the results are great. The AX8 immediately made my recordings sound better (I used amp sims before and do not have a decent room to mic my cab), It sounds great at band practice as well. I was worried that I would be drowned out by the other guitarist who is using a tube half stack but that is not the case at all. The AX8 keeps up and holds its own. It sounds really damn good and this is all through a cheap/crappy PA system. I can only imagine how this is going to sound FOH and I guess that is the only test I have left to try with the AX8.

In short, not only does it sound great and compete with a tube amp, it records amazingly well and the convenience factor absolutely can not be beaten. To anyone who may get an AXE and is not immediately sold ob it, I would say you have to really learn the unit, give it time and a fair chance. It is almost like you have to earn the awesomeness of the product. :D

Once I get a nice and true FRFR I think it is going to be even better.

I just wanted to post my feedback on my first Fractal product. They have some amazing gear and the people behind Fractal know their stuff. You have won me over and I can confidently support and recommend Fractal to other musicians.

Thanks,

If it isn't obvious already from all of the basic questions I ask here, I am brand new to modeling. I got my first modeler and first Fractal product (the AX8) about a month ago. I kept going back and forth on weather I was going to keep it or not but after spending a fair amount of time with it and learning how to use it I can confidently say that I made the right choice and I will be using this for the unforeseeable future.

It has simply passed every test with flying colors. Yes, it may take some time and patience, lots of research and playing around with it but the results are great. The AX8 immediately made my recordings sound better (I used amp sims before and do not have a decent room to mic my cab), It sounds great at band practice as well. I was worried that I would be drowned out by the other guitarist who is using a tube half stack but that is not the case at all. The AX8 keeps up and holds its own. It sounds really damn good and this is all through a cheap/crappy PA system. I can only imagine how this is going to sound FOH and I guess that is the only test I have left to try with the AX8.

In short, not only does it sound great and compete with a tube amp, it records amazingly well and the convenience factor absolutely can not be beaten. To anyone who may get an AXE and is not immediately sold ob it, I would say you have to really learn the unit, give it time and a fair chance. It is almost like you have to earn the awesomeness of the product. :D

Once I get a nice and true FRFR I think it is going to be even better.

I just wanted to post my feedback on my first Fractal product. They have some amazing gear and the people behind Fractal know their stuff. You have won me over and I can confidently support and recommend Fractal to other musicians.

Thanks,
Yes the fractal team gave us alot of switches and knobs... but I like it like that...cause I can tweak and change stuff around the way I like it ...instead of being stuck with whatever sound an amp or cab maker decides there product should sound like................................freedom of choice..for me.....and I can experiment without worrying about blowing the amp up........................................................

Stick with it and have fun - remember to be sure and spend time with the interface and don't rely on the AX8-Edit - could save your butt during a gig someday... :)

Stick with it and have fun - remember to be sure and spend time with the interface and don't rely on the AX8-Edit - could save your butt during a gig someday... :)

This is excellent advice!

...and I don't follow it. :-(

I literally only use Axe Edit because it's so handy. I have yet to build a patch on the unit itself. It's bound to bite me in the butt at some point.

I would say you have to really learn the unit, give it time and a fair chance. It is almost like you have to earn the awesomeness of the product.

Way to go madnotes! Sounds like you earned it for sure.

I think most gear has a learning curve. Just that instead of one new amp that we need to learn with a handful of adjustments, the FAS gear could be like trying to learn a warehouse full of new amps, effects, speaker choices, etc. all st once. I think the best advice to anybody new to these amazing products is to start by building a single preset from scratch and just work with the basic amp controls for a while (sort of like we did when we got our first combo amp and it was all we had or could afford).

Way to go madnotes! Sounds like you earned it for sure.

I think most gear has a learning curve. Just that instead of one new amp that we need to learn with a handful of adjustments, the FAS gear could be like trying to learn a warehouse full of new amps, effects, speaker choices, etc. all st once. I think the best advice to anybody new to these amazing products is to start by building a single preset from scratch and just work with the basic amp controls for a while (sort of like we did when we got our first combo amp and it was all we had or could afford).

Yeah but when I imply I've learned how to use the AX8, I'm talking the basics and essentials.

I'm assuming I've barely hit the tip of the ice berg and that's pretty cool too :)

Back
Top Bottom