Reverb hold

Can the hold function just be setup as 'always on' for a preset, then with reverb spillover on, just change to a similar preset to turn it off?

Thanks all! I didn't save the preset, but it's really simple, I'll redo it on weekend after gigs.

Okay - let me clarify my state of confusion below. I'll assume that the reverb "normal/high" and "Hold" function and associated parameters (early diffusion, early diffusion time and early decay) have not been updated in Axe-Edit 3.1.1?

I've read and reread the release notes from 16.0 through 16.04.1, so call me dense, 'cause I'm having issues even locating the "Hold" function in any of the reverbs ... Also, I'm assuming a switch (or foot controller) on say a Behringer FCB1010 can be assigned to invoke the "hold"? Cannot seem to find that in the "I/O" section of my Axe-FX II Mark II.

Not a "newbie" but this is a first-time stump for me with my unit. Thanks for the help anyone can provide.

I'm feelin' real thick-headed on this 'cause it's probably a "no-duh" solution.

Last edited:
It's not in the Axe edit yet. Plug in a pedal, assign it to something, for example external 2. In reverb settings, assign modifier to the hold parameter, and select external 2.

Thanks for the explanation, aziz ... Eventually, I would imagine being able to assign a foot controller button or controller pedal to the hold parameter in a future FW update (and to be able to modify it through Axe-Edit)? That just makes too much sense - seems it would work much like start/stop for the Looper function.

Eventually, I would imagine being able to assign a foot controller button or controller pedal to the hold parameter in a future FW update (and to be able to modify it through Axe-Edit)?

You can do that now. On the front panel.

Thanks for the explanation, aziz ... Eventually, I would imagine being able to assign a foot controller button or controller pedal to the hold parameter in a future FW update (and to be able to modify it through Axe-Edit)? That just makes too much sense - seems it would work much like start/stop for the Looper function.

Probably not gonna happen. That would require assignment of another Midi CC number, and I think they are almost all used up. Since 12 midi CC's are reserved for use for modifiers 1 thru 12, you could designate the same one every time to be your hold modifier. For instance, I reserve modifier 11 for Amp1/Amp2 bypass (modifier sweep set inversely so while one is on, the other is off), and modifier 12 for Wah wah sweep - always.

Thanks for the reply, Yek ... I tried the front panel approach last night without success, but will dig back into it this evening (kinda' figured I was making this more difficult than necessary).

Thanks, rodzimguitar68 ... Understand the midi CC limitations and appreciate your insight on this. I think the versatility and beauty of the reverb hold is worth taking time to explore and master the function (as demonstrated by aziz here; and Cliff's initial teaser post).

I just use a scene to turn it on, one with the infinite hold reverb block enabled. The other scenes in the same preset have it disabled.

Can this be set up so that you can play a chord, hold it with the pedal, then when you release the pedal it decays? Or does it cut immediately when you release the pedal?

Think of it this way, pressing the hold changes reverb time to a month. (And also blocks reverb input from new sounds.) When you release it, it goes back to what it was before, and therefore decays smoothly if you have a sufficiently long reverb time there.

Last edited:
absolutely amazing!
need to figure out how to tweak a patch to sound like that

Back
Top Bottom