Returning from the Kemper swamp - back to the Axe!

it's really hard to describe, basically because i can not get the tone i am looking for but also because of technical things.

i do not know why but in earlier FW versions it was much easier to dial in extremely transparent and tight hi gain tones
but with every new FW it gets harder. i know this sounds funny as 99,9% of all users see this exactly the other way around,
can't help it.

as for the technical part, the AXE has way too many options but basically, at the end, most of them either make the tone darker or brighter
but something crucial is missing.

i have a very solid point of view on IR's and why IR's are "not there yet" but it seems like there is no workaround.

i am also having problems with getting good gain staging, often the axe is too quiet in the output but clips internally and
i can not see why. i have the input at 50%, the amp block at -12db and the cab block at -6db and it stil clips.

it's an endless fiddle and as soon as i get a KILLER tone, the next day i do not like it anymore.
as for the tone, i am talking about recordings, my "jam" tones are pretty solid and i like them but getting the axe to sit in a mix
seems almost impossible, which i blame on the IR's again.

the KEMPER is not IR based so i might give it a try...

it's really hard to describe, basically because i can not get the tone i am looking for but also because of technical things.

i do not know why but in earlier FW versions it was much easier to dial in extremely transparent and tight hi gain tones
but with every new FW it gets harder. i know this sounds funny as 99,9% of all users see this exactly the other way around,
can't help it.

as for the technical part, the AXE has way too many options but basically, at the end, most of them either make the tone darker or brighter

i have a very solid point of view on IR's and why IR's are "not there yet" but it seems like there is no workaround.

i am also having problems with getting good gain staging, often the axe is too quiet in the output but clips internally and
i can not see why. i have the input at 50%, the amp block at -12db and the cab block at -6db and it stil clips.

it's an endless fiddle and as soon as i get a KILLER tone, the next day i do not like it anymore.
as for the tone, i am talking about recordings, my "jam" tones are pretty solid and i like them but getting the axe to sit in a mix

The Kemper is IR based. Anyone who tries to tell you differently doesn't know what they are talking about.

i have no clue about the technical intricacies maybe the KEMPER does use IR's but it makes something different,
most hi gain tones i've heard so far totally slay.

the AXE FX II has something to it that makes it very hard to place in a mix.
adding some room does help but it automatically clouds up everything.

i am not here to talk the AXE bad, hell no i've had so much fun with my unit but at the end it's
getting more and more into fiddling tones than playing and creating some music.

as for the parameters, i think you could remove at least 50% and it would make no difference.

Buy a tube amp, guitar cabinet, an SM57 and go to town. ;)
dude, you can not imagine how i'd love to do this. i could order a tube head and a 4x12 instantly but unfortunately i have no money.
well, fortunately i do have plenty of money to buy several tube heads but unfortunately i have no money for a place to crank them up :D

can't help it.

Post a preset.

Post a preset.
i can gladly do that, i am only not sure how to handle external IR's as i can not post them right?
i will try to create a preset with stock cabs and post it, ok?

Fractal's load box or the Suhr one?
well, that's what i am currently looking at but cliff made me iffy stating that all the load boxes on the marked are "wrong"
and waiting for the fractal box is vague as there is no solid info on this thing.

then again if i use a tube head with a load box i am still bound to IR's which seems like the big problem for me,
especially knowing that i am probably the only person here thinking that IR's don't bring it.

well, that's what i am currently looking at but cliff made me iffy stating that all the load boxes on the marked are "wrong"
and waiting for the fractal box is vague as there is no solid info on this thing.

then again if i use a tube head with a load box i am still bound to IR's which seems like the big problem for me,
especially knowing that i am probably the only person here thinking that IR's don't bring it.
Well, if guys like Ola Englund can record in an apartment complex (or whatever you call them over there), then I would think that you'd be able to record a traditional amp and cab. Just don't push it to 11!

Well, if guys like Ola Englund can record in an apartment complex (or whatever you call them over there), then I would think that you'd be able to record a traditional amp and cab. Just don't push it to 11!

yeah but even if my neighbours would tolerate it, i work in a fucked up shift system so i am rarely at home at daytime.
i might go for it though, just not sure where to start exactly, i think a 2x12 Mesa cab and a5150 III mini or something similar
should do it for the beginning.

You are not the only one, I prefer to shoot IRs of the Kemper and use them in the Axe.
dbeece4cfc072e5b417fddcaa90eabf0_wait-what-meme-face-wut-meme-face_400-400.gif

I don't understand. Kemper makes IR's? Like OwnHammer?

No. When you profile an amplifier / cabinet with the KPA, it stores the cabinet portion of the rig in its own format within the profile. That cabinet portion is simply referred to as a cab even though it's basically an IR in a proprietary format.

No. When you profile an amplifier / cabinet with the KPA, it stores the cabinet portion of the rig in its own format within the profile. That cabinet portion is simply referred to as a cab even though it's basically an IR in a proprietary format.
So, what makes the Kemper's capture format better than the Axe-Fx's capture format?

Back
Top Bottom