Retirement balance with the current market?

You got to be thinking about oil right now.. right?
Long term investment....has to be a winner.
The right companies to invest in is the challenge. They are high leveraged, and some of these big ones are going to get hurt.
I wonder if it's best to invest in the commodity directly, and stick with the heavy hitters.
Another problem is the timing, just because it's a long term investment, in the short to intermediate term timeline....is unknown... going to loose money or have stagnant growth until 2021 and slow recovery until 2023? or do you just slowly accumulate now and follow the lead of the US and other countries... who think it's a good time to buy... fill reserves...etc

I'm currently still on my previous employer's Vanguard 401K (no more contributions or match because I was laid off). It's simple to manage because there is a limited set of funds to choose from but it'smore difficult to diversify.

I'm considering transferring to my own IRA so I can diversify more easily. Any reason why it wouldn't make sense? I know some fees may be different, but ETFs in particular are pretty low expense.

Last edited:
I'm currently still on my previous employer's Vanguard 401K (no more contributions or match because I was laid off). It's simple to manage because there is a limited set of funds to choose from but it'smore difficult to diversify.

I'm considering transferring to my own IRA so I can diversify more easily. Any reason why it wouldn't make sense? I know some fees may be different, but ETFs in particularly are pretty low expense.
My employer was using Vanguard (but has since switched to another firm) and one of my co-workers who retired recently told me when I was "complaining" about the lack of choices (I ran my own company for 20 years and have SEP IRA with Schwab, so used to having a full choice palette) that if you call Vanguard they can open up other choices.

I don't know if that's valid in your case, but you could always check...

I'm considering transferring to my own IRA so I can diversify more easily. Any reason why it wouldn't make sense? I know some fees may be different, but ETFs in particularly are pretty low expense.
My employer was using Vanguard (but has since switched to another firm) and one of my co-workers who retired recently told me when I was "complaining" about the lack of choices (I ran my own company for 20 years and have SEP IRA with Schwab, so used to having a full choice palette) that if you call Vanguard they can open up other choices.

I don't know if that's valid in your case, but you could always check...
If you're no longer employed with the company than it's very easy to do a rollover from the 401k to your own IRA account at Vangaurd. Once you do that all of Vanguard's funds are available for you to purchase from your self-directed IRA account. Call them and they'll walk you through it. If your employer account with Vanguard it's very, very easy. If it's with Fidelity or some other place you have to have the funds mailed to you (I kid you not) and then you mail them on to Vanguard. I've rolled over a few employer 401ks to my Vanguard IRA account now and it's very simple.

I'm considering transferring to my own IRA so I can diversify more easily. Any reason why it wouldn't make sense? I know some fees may be different, but ETFs in particular are pretty low expense.

Yeah I think that's a good idea. The 401k fees are really low, but with mine, if you try to rebalance more than once in a month (or is it a quarter?) they'll send you a nasty letter about banning you from rebalancing for 3 months or a friggin year! Plus with an ETF you don't have to wait until the end of the day to trade, you can just set GTC limit trades and leave it. I'm with Fidelity and they have plenty of low fee ETFs, and they don't charge trading fees anymore. I think they just have a small fee of like 3 cents per $1,000 in a trade.

PLUS if you move to a Trad IRA, then you can start moving those Trad IRA funds to a Roth IRA. Now is a good time get those taxes out of the way.

If it was me I'd split your money between a low fee S&P 500 fund (IVV) and some bond fund (TLT or AGG?), maybe add a little gold when it drops below $1500 (IAU).

I'm cost averaging back into 80% equities and 20% bonds now for the next several months (no gold!), but will be at 90% equities by the end of the year again. Hopefully. Unless there is another flare up, then move back into bonds for awhile, and take that damn money OUT of the 401k!!

Be careful if you move your investments. I did and had advice to move some of my investments to an annuities. It turned our that annuities are basically an insurance policy and my investment agent was getting a annual kickback (under the table). I like what @Randy4Guitars is saying, S&P 500, Bonds, etc. Diversity and long range are the key to investing, IMHO. Over the long term you will be better off. If you look to individual stocks, look for their management, debt to equity ratio and other factors...Take a look at Berkshire-Hathaway Class A stock holdings. Warren Buffet has some great diversity on valued stock ideas...Here's a book I highly recommend reading.

Thanks all... it seems low risk and I debated doing it a few years ago. So I initiated the roll-over. One fund was a direct match for my main balanced fund (no buying/selling) and the rest (cash+bonds) went into a money market for now. I have to wait till it goes through before I can move investments around, BUT I'll probably wait a few months to get into equities or just buy in a little at a time... feels like there is more bear action (recession/depression) going to happen as businesses go under etc. :(

I might put a little into cryptocurrencies but need to do a lot more reading. I'm not looking to make a big score but if the whole monetary system collapses and gets restructured, CCs might fill in the gaps.

I'm not "market savvy" and not able to track everything in these videos, but it sounds like a sober look at what is going on.

If fools like you dont buy stocks, so the shorts can take your money, then how will the shorts make thier money?
The stocks are climbing, without the volumes.

After 2008, I’m never letting it ride again. Took me the better part of a decade to recover. I got out at Dow 26K.

The bulls have their heads up their rears. It’s gonna be years before we are back to normal. Lost small businesses, changes in social behavior, massive unemployment. Many are saying this will ultimately be worse than 2008.

the 4K rebound in the Dow just demonstrates that common sense has gone out the window

After 2008, I’m never letting it ride again. Took me the better part of a decade to recover. I got out at Dow 26K.

The bulls have their heads up their rears. It’s gonna be years before we are back to normal. Lost small businesses, changes in social behavior, massive unemployment. Many are saying this will ultimately be worse than 2008.

the 4K rebound in the Dow just demonstrates that common sense has gone out the window
dont omit trillions in stimulus and fail projections... but consider the second wave and a correction in the future but for now no doubt bullish

This year I created a new challenge for myself this year. Read article on supersavers... so I am doing the super saver challenge.. and it's been a flop so far, and most likely will be.
Saving 30% to my Roth 401k... until that limit maxes out.
And putting 6% in 401k with 3% match in a 401K... and will reconsider what to do when I max out the Roth.
Then I have a individual Fidelity account for myself.
When I start shitting myself over this Corona... because media.. I'll probably at that point... wait for another 15% down... and then pull the trigger on entering into the precious metals section... mining companies, streaming companies...etc.
If there calling a recession, depression... etc.
But I'll look for the Bulls... Tesla... some of the finer things. During the last recession... the well to do... splurged... on the finer things
Tesla up 435% since time of post
Up +150k

Tesla tends to go down when I acquire a large position. I'm thinking of offering racketeering services: "It'd be a shame if I bought some TSLA and your portfolio imploded." :) But fundamentally, there's no rational reason why TSLA could be worth even remotely this much. It's a pump&dump by someone. They'll pump it up, then start shorting like crazy, then pump it up again, fleecing the noobs on both the up and down path of the trajectory.

Tesla tends to go down when I acquire a large position. I'm thinking of offering racketeering services: "It'd be a shame if I bought some TSLA and your portfolio imploded." :) But fundamentally, there's no rational reason why TSLA could be worth even remotely this much. It's a pump&dump by someone. They'll pump it up, then start shorting like crazy, then pump it up again, fleecing the noobs on both the up and down path of the trajectory.

Although I would agree with you, this has been the argument over a year, since it was $170. It's 2300 pre-market at the moment.
It was said ti was overpriced at 250, 350, 420, 600, 800 , 1000, 1200, 1500, 1750, 2000, 2300. That's a lot of time for being wrong (including me).

That's a lot of time for being wrong
It's not "wrong". It's just cyclical and it can remain so for much longer than people who trade on margin can remain solvent. Which is how they get fleeced. Current valuation is nuts IMO from P/E perspective.

Back
Top Bottom