Rethinking My Method for Boosting Leads.

danhazer

Hi,

I have been using the Vol/Pan block to boost my lead tones. It seems to work fairly well, but I've noticed that a lot of people have chosen an EQ block or the output area to accomplish this task. For those of you who prefer an EQ or the output area in the Fractal to do this, can you explain why these methods are more to your liking than the Vol/Pan block? I'm about to tweak all my presets and I've been thinking about redoing the boost and I am interested in people's thoughts on this subject.

Thanks,
-Dan

Drive block (Tubescreamer) Drive at 0 to 0.5 (barely any), output volume at 5 to 6, otherwise default.
Using "Cut" button also in the Amp block itself. Triaxis or IIC+ amps, also the ENGL Energyball amp, or any of the Marshalls.
Ownhammer V30 Mesa 4x12 in the Cab block V70 mic mixed with 121
Motor drive in the cab block at 1 to 2

that's for high gain "modern" metal rhythms that fit well into a mix so far (bottom end is very tight but still prominent when it needs to be).

Boosting mids for leads, really, and using Ownhammer "M+" IR's (they have extra mids, according to the PDF).

I just have a button on my MFC toggle between scene 1 and 5. for my boost ill just bump a few db right on the output page for scene 5. Ill also set scene 5 to activate drive pedal or change delay setting accordingly. If I want a mid boost or eq change then ill use a Graphic eq block for the boost like previously stated.

Thanks. I'll give this a try. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on why this method is preferable.

It just cleanly boosts to what db you want. Doesn't change tone. EQ block would be great if you actually wanted to change tone. If that is the case, then use EQ block.

I use a volume pedal for rhythm/solo as well as swells and so on. I leave some headroom in my patches if I need to use a filter block for +4dB boost for those situations where the drummer thinks that guitar solo means drum solo. This boosts my stage level only, not the signal to FOH.

Filter block - increase gain around 3db.
Turn on by changing scenes.
This. I'll also use that same filter block to tighten up the low end, possibly even roll off a bit of the highs, to make for a very middy, cutting lead tone.

I use a graphic EQ at the end of the chain and turn it and delay on with a scene change. I do a frown shape to cut low and high, and boost mid (not drastic). The 5 band passive works great for this. This makes it a little creamier and cuts over the mix in live situation. I'll also boost the level of the EQ block by a db or 2 to boost volume a bit. For all my presets, I have scene 7 that adds EQ and delay, and scene 8 adds drive, EQ and delay.

I run a filter block at +3 dB in parallel with my reverb and delay blocks. That way the delay stays about the same, but the boost is applied to the dry guitar signal. I find that it's very easy to have your delay sound good at bedroom volume, then at gig volume it doesn't take much delay to muddy things up.

I also add a very mild mid boost to thicken up the tone as well, since the intent is to use this on solos only. This is the main reason I prefer it to using a vol/pan approach.

I do a 4db boost in filter block near end of chain. I used the volume block for my volume pedal. The filter blk I believe doesn't used much CPU so it is a good choice. The people that use Eq block are usually doing a bit of Eqing ie boosting mids or cutting lows and highs a tad. Honestly there is no wrong way as long as you get the boost you want and are happy

I play in a band with another guitar player and we use two clr as pa speakers, for rhythm part I use a volume block with balance at 100% so that I hear my guitar only on the speaker on my side and the other guitar on he opposite side. For solos I disengage the block, this will give 6dB of boost and my guitar coming out from both speakers giving a huge and spacial sound (especially if combined with stereo effects such as enhancer, chorus or stereo delays).
That's what you often hear on records

I use the ouput level per scene because it's a pure volume boost and more importantly uses zero additional cpu. Since I'm using it with scenes it also gives me the option of simultaneously kicking in od blocks, delays, etc.

I distinguish between boosting in front of the amp and just getting louder.

My "Louder" button on my foot controller activates a 5 band passive GEQ block post cab block. I use a "frown" curve to boost the mids. I have a pretty healthy mid boost +5 to +7 db.

This does not affect the amp gain so I can use it to play clean solos too.

I do have drive blocks and filter blocks before the amp block too but I usually set these up so that the apparent loudness of the preset doesn't change much when I activate them.

So I end up with "Drive" and "Louder" being separate foot switches.

I use the ouput level per scene because it's a pure volume boost and more importantly uses zero additional cpu. Since I'm using it with scenes it also gives me the option of simultaneously kicking in od blocks, delays, etc.

Yes this is what I've always used - so simple and on the "boosted" scene you can turn on the drive if you need to wet it up.

Yes this is what I've always used - so simple and on the "boosted" scene you can turn on the drive if you need to wet it up.

I'm also in the output level crowd. I don't adjust any gain although I have a drive block at the ready. I thicken it up with a delay block and have the output set a little higher. I also have a volume up/down switch if I need to adjust on the fly. I'm not sure why you would use a block to boost level unless you're putting it before the amp to try to get some more gain or you have a switch for it so you have the option of turning it off. That would be a cheaper option in terms of cpu than a scene controller or drive block.

Null filter block here. 3.5db, on a scene.
Same idea here, variable on gain depending on need. On a scene on the AX8, on a IA on the MFC101 with the XL+

When I am energetic I will match lead presets with a dB meter, then fine tune by ear to taste. Null filter just makes a louder version of the same sound to step out in front. I have purely lead presets I can go to if I want, so this gives me another lead option on every preset.

Back
Top Bottom