Resistive Load (imp #55)

Hi, I've been keeping the original (FW10 etc) 'Speaker imp. curve' (RESISTIVE LOAD) on my patches. (image 1.)
But when i change to any other and revert back to RESISTIVE LOAD, the curve is completely different. (image 2.)

Any ideas?
image 1.pngimage 2.png

I know originally the "unchanged" setting was called "Null", and the behavior you describe is as expected. I never looked to see if it's still called "Null".

If "Null" is no longer there in the list then I'd suspect it was renamed.

I believe the curve is different because the resonance settings are different. The latest firmware will remember your old preset settings, but only until you change "speaker imp. curve" -- after you change it, you'll need to reload your preset to get back your old settings.

If you don't save the preset and you mediate away from it and then back to it it should read the preset with your old curves as long as you have the option set to no.

Will it be fixed in next update...please?

Doubtful, as it is not a bug per se. Actually it behaves correctly in 11.x (with global parm = YES) because Resistive Load is by definition flat. With parm set to NO you get whatever curve was saved in the preset. If it is a pre-11 curve, yes it is associated with Resistive Load which is confusing.

It might be nice to have the pre-11 curves in there as curve options but this is probably going backwards in FAS's book.

Doubtful, as it is not a bug per se. Actually it behaves correctly in 11.x (with global parm = YES) because Resistive Load is by definition flat. With parm set to NO you get whatever curve was saved in the preset. If it is a pre-11 curve, yes it is associated with Resistive Load which is confusing.

It might be nice to have the pre-11 curves in there as curve options but this is probably going backwards in FAS's book.
Yes, i actually like that curve and prefer it on some patches.
It would be great as an option 56!!!

I keep seeing talk of "pre-11 curves"--to be clear (if I understand) there really isn't anything hidden or mysterious going on here. No legacy curves have been lost: pre-11 there was just a flat resistive load plus whatever resonance values were dialed in. In v11, with the global param to NO, the old curves get loaded by default. With param YES, the old curves can still be dialed in by recreating the resonance settings.

If I'm mistaken, somebody please correct me :)

Last edited:
Yep! Just tried this with settings as per OP & it replicates the curve. Set Resistive Load & dial in your numbers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 10.47.21.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 10.47.21.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Yep. Even if the pre-11 curves are "lost" or overwritten, they can be replicated/restored knowing the settings and dialing them in on Resistive Load (or really any of them).

There is no present curve like the Image 1. (pre FW11.)
I use it. I like it.
Why not have it as a preset. That way i don't have to dial it in for the patches i want it on.
Yes, i get it. Set the Global to 'NO'. But if i want to try other curves, and go back to my fave, it's gone, and i have to dial it back in.
Surely having it as an option is a simple thing? No?
(Maybe i'm making this a 1st world problem).
I still want it as an option.

I use it. I like it.
Why not have it as a preset. That way i don't have to dial it in for the patches i want it on.
Yes, i get it. Set the Global to 'NO'. But if i want to try other curves, and go back to my fave, it's gone, and i have to dial it back in.
As long as you don't save the changes, you can just reload the preset and the original curve will be there. You can always reload it from a backup too.

I use it. I like it.
What if you save the amp block before changing it. That might to preserve the old status. If not, saving the preset before changing the curve should.

Hi Peter,

That's a bugger however in the overall scheme of things iot's now correct. A resistive load will be relatively flat compared to a loaded speaker impedance . So - Save the preset, and all should be good?

Thanks
Pauly

Hi, I've been keeping the original (FW10 etc) 'Speaker imp. curve' (RESISTIVE LOAD) on my patches. (image 1.)
But when i change to any other and revert back to RESISTIVE LOAD, the curve is completely different. (image 2.)

Any ideas?
View attachment 60608View attachment 60609

What if you save the amp block before changing it. That might to preserve the old status. If not, saving the preset before changing the curve should.

This is what I've done for my favorite patches: set param to "NO," load my patch--it sounds the same as it always has. Now, copy to another amp block, play with the impedance curves, and it's easy to A/B back with the original.

The old Impedance curve, was not just one curve.
Each amp had it's own unique curve. which would mean in order to give people the option of using the new curves or the old generic curves, one would have to be added for each of the amp models. Hardly seems worth it.

Back
Top Bottom