Requesting help to recreate this auto-wah sound

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I'm struggling to recreate the autowah settings for Stevie Salas - Tell Your Story Walkin':

Can anyone suggest settings for this? Right now I'm using a Wah block attached to Env, set to the following:
Type: Funk
Res: 10
Taper: Log 30A
Drive: 0
(Global Envelope settings are all set to min values.)

Been messing with Scale and Offset in the controller settings but I can't get that tight chirpy quality. Instead it sounds loose and scrappy, like kicking a wah pedal back and forth. I guess that's due to the unevenness of the Envelope.

The preset is here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0Walkin'.syx

Last edited by a moderator:
Video sounds similar to the Env.Filter preset in my preset. See sig.

Yek, I tried your wah and control settings in my own preset but it didn't get me any closer to the tone above. Had to change your LFO1A to Env in the Wah block controller settings also.

Are you using the bank file, or the zipped presets?

There's no LFO used in preset 11 in scene 1. It's the Filter, with ENV tied to Freq and Q.
The VOL block is just to differentiate between scenes.
The WAH blocks (and LFO) are used only in scenes 3 and 4 and are n/a here.

Are you using the bank file, or the zipped presets?

There's no LFO used in preset 11 in scene 1. It's the Filter, with ENV tied to Freq and Q.
The VOL block is just to differentiate between scenes.
The WAH blocks (and LFO) are used only in scenes 3 and 4 and are n/a here.
Thanks Yek. I copied your Filter block to my preset and tried it out instead of the wah. It is quite a similar effect but still doesn't get me there; in fact I prefer the Wah solution right now. In both cases the fundamental tone of each note seems to be too present in the mix. On the recording the effect seems to be "wetter" (if that makes sense).

It doesn't sound like auto-wah to me.

I think there are 2 effects going on here. A manual wah and something like a phaser or a mutron type effect, with the wah doing a slower sweep and quicker peaks from another effect in between. The waves seem to be crossing each other so you won't get close with a single effect.

That said you might be able to do something with one of Simeon's sequenced filter patches. Watch his video on controllers on you-tube. Very inspiring.

Last edited:
I adjusted a couple of settings and this is the result:

In the Envelope settings (from my original preset): Threshold at -100.
In the Filter's Q modifier: Min at 10.00.

The more aggressive tone of the original is probably the amp used.
Or: in the Filter's FREQ modifier menu: increase Max from 16.529 to 20.000.

Last edited:
that's pretty close. i think the original has a slightly more aggressive Q setting. you can hear at the very top of the sweep how sharp it is. i also think the sweep goes a little higher too. nice autowah sound though!

Yes, I recorded that without the increased Max Freq.
Increasing the sweep gets it nearer the original.

Meh, still not making it. Can't get the high end to sound chirpy enough. Does anyone get what I mean about the tone in the original being "wetter"? Seems to have more low end and tightness than what I'm getting also. The amp is a 5153 Red.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom