Request: Can we turn off the "in1 clip" warning? It's ALWAYS there regardless of how the input level is set

I have a sneaking suspicion this feature is bugged, having a majesty with a built in +20dB boost on the output jack and this dude is at 24%

I have a BKP nailbomb which is a hot ceramic pickup and Im on 7.5%

So many of peoples settings just dont line up
Just reading this thread made me think the same thing but I don’t know enough about how it actually works to know if that is correct or not. Like do cables and such also play a role in how the signal hits the front? Batteries, or weaker batteries than some others? Definitely some variables that could come into play. i have some Dimarzio’s in a guitar (Dreamcatcher and Rainmaker) and my level is pretty low. Interesting thread and I’ll be curious to see if anything comes from it.

Last edited:
I have a sneaking suspicion this feature is bugged, having a majesty with a built in +20dB boost on the output jack and this dude is at 24%

I have a BKP nailbomb which is a hot ceramic pickup and Im on 7.5%

So many of peoples settings just dont line up
Yeah but with the boost on, I have to set it at 4.3%.

I was wondering why mine would light up fairy often on some days and not others using the same guitar. Then I realized the apartment complex I live in was built in 1933. Who know what the wiring looks like inside those walls.

Anyone have any I idea why my experience is different?
You aren't alone... Mine is set very high (I think about 75%).

I tried to "force" it to happen with various guitars and below 80% it's pretty much impossible for me.

Based on my experimenting, I think it has a lot to do with how you play, your guitar/pickup setup, strings, picks, etc.

When trying to make it happen, I had to attack the strings in a certain way and at a certain point along the string. I believe it's most induced by pick attack transients.

Judging from perusing all the other threads on this subject, I don’t think there‘s a bug, I just think there’s that many different
”recipes” when it comes to what pickups in which guitar with what cable using which pickup wiring an on and on and on.

Something I picked up on in one of those other threads that hasn’t been mentioned here yet, (I don’t think), is that ohm reading alone does not indicate whether or not a pickup is “hot”…..there are other factors at play.

You aren't alone... Mine is set very high (I think about 75%).

I tried to "force" it to happen with various guitars and below 80% it's pretty much impossible for me.

Based on my experimenting, I think it has a lot to do with how you play, your guitar/pickup setup, strings, picks, etc.

When trying to make it happen, I had to attack the strings in a certain way and at a certain point along the string. I believe it's most induced by pick attack transients.
Thank you for your response. In my case, I am just happy that the warning alarm does not come on for me and coverup the tuning indicator. I absolutely love my Axe Fx and the great tones I am able to obtain just as it works for me. So, I am convinced that my input settings are fine as they are for my guitars and the way I play. Have a great day and happy music making!

What's preventing the OP from turning it down to '0'? It doesn't affect the tone or the actual volume of your guitar entering the grid for processing.

Your playing style, your pickups, how your pickups are mounted, your pickup height, your pick, etc.. will affect your actual output. I have a feeling that you are putting out more output than you think. This modeler and the new firmware are just giving you a tool to measure it.

I play very hard. I break strings at most shows. I have had mine set at 7.5%, before and after the addition of the input clip indication. I have a stock EBMM 'Axis', and 'Axis Sport', an EVH 'Wolfgang Special', an EMG equipped Kramer 'Imperial', and a Fender Strat. My EBMM and EVH guitars peak more than my EMG equipped Kramer. Maybe the active pickups are compressed a bit, taming the transients? Even my Strat will clip at around 40% in my hands.

Last edited:
Ignore it. If you level your presets with the levelling tool and you don’t hit the red in the unit it is fine, like if what fine for years before this warning message. I don’t care anymore of that thing. It bother me the first days and now I really don’t care.

If he's clipping while tuning, his input sensitivity is definitely not adjusted correctly and that should be fixed before worrying about whether he's in tune :).
It's for checking tuning stability at-a-glance while playing. Not actively tuning. And if you read above you'd see that for many of us, we're at or below 5% and there isn't a ton of wiggle room left in the input sensitivity.

This is the kind of crap that gives guitar forums a bad name. I've done it myself in the past, and reading this makes me embarrassed all over again.
It certainly makes me less likely to post questions in the future. Most of us are on this forum to help and support one another, and dismissive posts like that certainly aren't helpful or supportive, nor are they flattering for the poster.

It's for checking tuning stability at-a-glance while playing. Not actively tuning. And if you read above you'd see that for many of us, we're at or below 5% and there isn't a ton of wiggle room left in the input sensitivity.
Have you tried it at '0%'? Does it still clip when set there?

Are you going through anything between your guitar and the Fractal input?

I get what you're saying, but I think your comment about wiggle room identifies the real issue here.

The fact is people are often uncomfortable setting any parameter to a very low or very high value. There's some comfort in seeing a knob set to a value around 50%, or as you put it, a value where there is plenty of wiggle room.

According to your OP, the problem goes away if you turn the sensitivity down to "almost zero". That simply means "almost zero" is the correct value for your situation. As you mentioned, that's the correct value for other people as well.

I get what you're saying, but I think your comment about wiggle room identifies the real issue here.

The fact is people are often uncomfortable setting any parameter to a very low or very high value. There's some comfort in seeing a knob set to a value around 50%, or as you put it, a value where there is plenty of wiggle room.

According to your OP, the problem goes away if you turn the sensitivity down to "almost zero". That simply means "almost zero" is the correct value for your situation. As you mentioned, that's the correct value for other people as well.
I understand that and I currently have it set at 5%. What's challenging, though, is there isn't any "real world" impact listed anywhere in the manual or the wiki, or even Yek's write up about it. Yek's write up states:

Setting it right makes sure that minimal undesirable noise will enter the processor (aka signal-to-noise ratio or SNR)
But what is "setting it right"? Higher % = better SNR or worse? At what point does the limiter kick in (see my experiment a bit further down)?

In practice I hear no huge tonal or noise difference between 5% and 100%, so it becomes challenging to find a "right" value. Right now my "right" value is the one that doesn't get an In1 Clip message over the tuner.

I would love it if at some point Cliff added the definitive "this is what is correct as a best practice and here are the consequences if you don't follow it" for the Input Level, but I have yet to see it on the forum or in the wiki or in the user manual (and if I missed it, please point it out). While I generally trust what Yek wrote in his comprehensive write up, he doesn't cite his source for his info, nor does he list what the real-world impact is of a particular setting beyond "noise floor," which is a bit vague. And even Leon Todd's YouTube video from four years ago is effectively incorrect based on what has been said in this thread since the way he sets it will absolutely trigger the In1 Clip message, as I have found. Not a criticism of Yek or Leon, btw, as I know they're both sharing what they know.

The manual states this, without stating why you would set it a certain way:

The Input page of the I/O menu contains four parameters that scale the input to the A/D converters: Input 1/Instrument Level, Input 2 Level, Input 3 Level, Input 4 Level.
Remember that, except at very low settings (5% or less), input level adjustments do not affect gain levels or what you hear. This is because as you adjust the level to the input of the A/D converter, the output of the converter compensates accordingly, so your guitar signal level remains exactly the same when it reaches the grid and any virtual amps or effects.
Note here that the manual itself cautions against input level adjustments <5%, with the implication that it will impact what is heard.

Again, if this was listed somewhere in the forum, let me know. It's a big forum with a lot of churn, though, and I tend to go to the authoritative sources first, and they don't seem to list the actual best practice along with a why.

Thinking on this further, perhaps the AD converters and the limiting algorithm are just so good that the setting doesn't actually matter? I decided to test this. If I take a straight patch with just Input 1 -> Output 1, set the Input Level to 100%, with the same PRS I only ever hear the slightest bit of digital clipping when I really smack the guitar. And that's at 100%. I have to really hunt for an artifact at 50% (and ask my brain if it's trying to insert an artifact since it sees the In1 Clip warning).

Not trusting just my ears, as an experiment, I fired up Logic and recorded a direct signal from my McCarty's bridge pickup through Input 1 to Output 1 with various input level settings, shown in the screenshot below. Output level is set so it doesn't go in the red. Here we do see a change in the wave form, but only once we get to 50% (which shows some minimal soft limiting), and also at 0% where the overall signal seems slightly lower (and my ears confirm this as it sounds "weaker"). 75% to 100% show clear limiting and will also get some very minor digital fizzies in the audio. While I admit this is only semi-scientific since I wasn't looping the signal, I was smacking the guitar pretty hard--much harder than I would with normal playing.

InputLevelWaveforms.jpg
Zoomed a little closer to the first three to see more detail (the last one at 100% doesn't really need zoom IMHO given how compressed it became from the limiter)

InputLevelFirstThree.jpg

InputLevelNextThree.jpg

So, while I do see the In1 Clip warning at 15%, I'm not seeing the limiter show up in the wave form until I get to around 50% Input level.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this and find the right setting, hence all the detail here. Hopefully it helps advance the conversation.

Last edited:
Anyway, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this and find the right setting, hence all the detail here. Hopefully it helps advance the conversation.

I think your gripes about the documentation are justified, but that's often the way it is with a small outfit like FAS. It's just not practical for them to keep the documentation up to date with rapid pace of firmware revisions.

You've got the right idea on the purpose of the sensitivity. You want it as high as possible without clipping in order to achieve the optimal S/N ratio. That's the way it is with all modelers, especially plugin modelers. I think it's safe to say if Cliff could go back in time he'd use a different scaling for the sensitivity controls, but it's too late for that. In any case, the instructions are simply: turn it down until you don't get the clip warning.

The comment in the manual about values below 5% is obsolete and needs to be updated. That was changed a few firmware revisions back. There is no problem with setting it below 5%.

I know the wiki mentions a soft limiter, but there is no such limiter.

P.S. I don't think your waveforms have enough time resolution to establish whether the clip warning is correct. Here's a post that confirms the accuracy of the clip warning:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/input-clipping-thread.193293/page-2#post-2402774

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom