Input Clipping Thread

I just tested the 22.00 beta 6 and had the same issue. I have Suhr Doug Aldrich bridge pickup in a 2008 USA Charvel SoCal and Seymour Duncan JB in and ESP Eclipse. I have the I/O input at 50%. Have never received the clipping warning until testing the new dyna cab firmware. The pickup height for both is 5mm from low E string.
I dont think the update change clipping behavior, it just brought it to light. I was digitally distorting since I got the unit :oops:

That's because the clipping warning was never there until now. You've probably been slightly clipping the input this whole time and just didn't realize it.
I'm not sure what is going on, but I just reverted back to 21.04 played the exact same guitar/riff and same preset and no clipping warning.

I'm not sure what is going on, but I just reverted back to 21.04 played the exact same guitar/riff and same preset and no clipping warning.

umm-wait.gif

i used the same preset saturday night with no clipping, 4 different guitars, shure wireless with no clipping. updated to 22 and i am getting clipping with the same setup. i notice no digital clipping or artifacts, sounds great. I am down to 2% and lighting it up with all passive pickups that i was running at 23% previously

I think people might be misled by the OP into thinking any clipping they're seeing is new to the version 22 beta firmware. That's not what he's saying. He's just saying now that there is a clipping warning light (this light is new to version 22), he has just now learned that he's always been clipping the input.

In other words, he's expressing surprise that he's clipping...he's not saying the clipping is new to version 22. I have a feeling now that there is a clipping indicator for the first time on the Axe-FX, many people will be surprised to learn they've always been clipping the input and should turn down the input sensitivity.

I think people might be misled by the OP into thinking any clipping they're seeing is new to the version 22 beta firmware. That's not what he's saying. He's just saying now that there is a clipping warning light (this light is new to version 22), he has just now learned that he's always been clipping the input.

In other words, he's expressing surprise that he's clipping...he's not saying the clipping is new to version 22. I have a feeling now that there is a clipping indicator for the first time on the Axe-FX, many people will be surprised to learn they've always been clipping the input and should turn down the input sensitivity.
Thank you. So ... no "tickling" the red ... I've turned down the input sensitivity and I'll reload the beta (in order) and re-test.

From the Wiki:

"The red light turns on BEFORE the instrument input clips. It means "Warning, you're APPROACHING clipping" as opposed to "Warning, you ARE clipping". The red light turns on at -6dB from the point where the signal clips. While the word "clipping" is used here, in reality the input signal never clips, because of a limiter will kick in before that."

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Connections_and_levels#Main_input_level

What I'm taking from this is Cliff has done everyone a service by implementing this warning, seems a lot of people could have been clipping their input without realising.

This ↑. I have a feeling a lot of people have been slightly clipping for quite some time without knowing it. Cliff stated that there were zero changes to the input processing. If it's clipping in the 22.00 Beta, it's been clipping all along at that same input sensitivity setting.

Very small amounts of harmonic distortion are surprisingly difficult to hear, and you'd likely never notice it going into an overdriven amp or drive model.

From the Wiki:

"The red light turns on BEFORE the instrument input clips. It means "Warning, you're APPROACHING clipping" as opposed to "Warning, you ARE clipping". The red light turns on at -6dB from the point where the signal clips. While the word "clipping" is used here, in reality the input signal never clips, because of a limiter will kick in before that."

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Connections_and_levels#Main_input_level
I don't know where that quote in the wiki came from, but it's at best a semantic issue. A hard limiter, if it really exists in front of the A/D, is functionally equivalent to clipping.

My gripe is that I can’t turn it off.

I know I’ve been clipping. I don’t care.

But the damn warning message is crazy annoying and bothers the shit outta me while I’m jamming away and the screen start flashing a big red warning message that I don’t care about and don’t want.

I've seen that line quoted multiple times, but it is incorrect or out of context. The input will ABSOLUTELY clip. Turn up the Input Sensitivity, record a DI track, zoom in and look at the waveform and see for yourself.

View attachment 118389
You are correct, with the Input Sensitivity all the way up, the signal will clip. Perhaps further clarification that when the Input Sensitivity is set as suggested, the signal will not clip when the red light is lit would help reduce confusion.

The phrase "the input signal never clips" is not entirely accurate unless put in the context of the ideal Input Sensitivity setting. There is a wide range on the parameter where the signal can hit red before clipping occurs. With Bare Knuckle Black Dogs, it is @ 30-60% from when the red light is 'tickled' to when any audible clipping occurred.

Two recorded DI's with my Schecter Apocalypse. The first is with Input Sensitivity set to 30%. No clipping warning came on and you can see it is not clipping. The second one set to 60% and I would say it is "tickling the red", so I might think it's set correctly. However, the Input Clip warning message came on, telling me that it's clipping, even though I followed the "tickling the red" instructions. As you can see, the warning is correct...it really is clipping. Whether this matters to each person is an individual judgement, but digital clipping is rarely good.

DI30.jpgDI60.jpg

In my case at 15% I “tickle the reds occasionally/ rarely and with 22 and the indicator at 5% I light it up the warning regularly. I have a mk1 at 15% on fw21 and almost no red light, on my mk2 which is 2 weeks old i loaded 22 and at 5% the display tells me I’m clipping, so I can see it real time in front of me. So yes we may have been hitting it too hard previously but I really can’t go below 5%. This is with suhr , arcane, wofgang and a custom custom pickups

I was playing the Beta w my N4 with the Bill Lawrance L500XL which is probably one of the hottest pickups I have. I had input at around 50% and never touched it, till the beta lol, I have a pretty heavy right hand esp. when palm muting and I ended up turning it down to around 7.5 before it stopped clipping. ill have to check some of my other guitars tomorrow, I have Mules, Aldrich's and Various Duncan's in my other guitars. Ill be curious to see how they fair.

Back
Top Bottom