Replace Axe Fx II with Ax8?

mcmanaway.8

As the title would suggest, I'm considering replacing my current set up (Axe Fx II & MFC-101) with an Ax8 and I'm looking for you guys to talk me through the decision. I love my Axe Fx... but if I can replicate what I do now in a more simple solution and hopefully pocket a few bucks -- why not?

So you guys have some context: I usually play in a live setting 3-4 times a month, going direct-in (XLR). I also record via USB into Logic on my own.

My initial reasons against it are lack of USB recording (which can be alleviated by purchasing an interface and recording via XLR) and the lower CPU.

I'm sure there are plenty of Ax8 users in here who transitioned from the Axe Fx, so I'm looking for any and all input here -- reasons for and against. Thanks, guys!

Do you need an expression pedal, wireless rx or other gear besides the AX8? If not, the AX8 and a few cables easily slips into a backpack. Add a gig bag for your guitar and you are set (assuming you don't have to carry a monitor). I love traveling light. If you need an exp pedal, wireless, or other devices, then you are mounting the AX8 to a pedal board and it isn't going to fit in a backpack anymore - but still smaller and lighter than an amp. Add a powered monitor and now your load is about what it was when you had a tube amp and pedal board.

I can't really speak to capabilities of one vs the other (really depends on how you use it and what you need), but the AX8 by itself and relying on the PA is gigging musicians dream for load in/out.

I use a fairly basic setup. comp->drive->amp->delay->reverb->eq->modulation->pitch. I have no issues with CPU. If you don't do very ethereal type sounds that require lots of reverb and other types of effects and have similar requirements then the AX8 would be fine for your needs.

I have both an Axe FX and AX8. I use the AX8 for live gigs. Personally, I think if you are going to choose, you should consider how you will mostly use it. If you mostly record, then the Axe really shines. If you are going to use it mostly for gigging, then the AX8 is a winner. The AX8 is a little bit less with regard to presets (no 2 amp rigs) but excels in the ease of use arena. I have no idea where you are located, but perhaps you can reach out to someone in your area for a "hands on" trial. That might help you decide. Personally, I do not find the AX8 limiting at all, but my preset use is pretty simple. I just use a few clean amps, a few rhythm amps, and a few lead tones. The AX8 takes me about 5 minutes to set up. I carry it in a rolling laptop bag.

My initial reasons against it are lack of USB recording (which can be alleviated by purchasing an interface and recording via XLR) and the lower CPU.

I see there is a USB connect on the back of the AX8, but are you saying you cannot connect this to the computer and record in a DAW?

I see there is a USB connect on the back of the AX8, but are you saying you cannot connect this to the computer and record in a DAW?
Partly correct. Yes, you can connect it to your computer. No, it won't pass audio. MIDI only.

Ok. So if you want to record with the Axe FX in a studio you have to use AXE FX II, etc? AX8 could only be used if it would be mic'ed?

Ok. So if you want to record with the Axe FX in a studio you have to use AXE FX II, etc? AX8 could only be used if it would be mic'ed?
You can record the AX8 by plugging directly into your mixing desk. No mic needed.

The AX8 is NOT an AxeFX+MFC on the floor.

If you switch to the AX8 expecting to use it just like you used your AxeFX, chances are you will be disappointed to the point of frustration. You will constantly run into problems with the CPU limit and lack of footswitches.

However, if you look at the AX8 with fresh eyes and an open mind on how to use it, chances are that you will be very happy with your choice, as the AX8 is much more portable and setting it up with footswitches changing per preset is much more streamlined. Expect to use more presets than you did on the AxeFX as each preset on the AX8 can do less. Expect to have to make qualified decisions on whether you really need HQ reverb and Ultra-res stereo cabs.

i think that the Ax8 is much better suited to playing preset per song because of the increased flexibility with having footswitches assigned per preset. Playing a whole show on a few different presets would be more difficult on the Ax8.
Thats aside from the obvious convenience factor.
I just sold my Axe FX II after owning both for about a year.

The AX8 can be used for recording, you just need an audio interface and connect the XLR/jack/spdif outputs of the AX8 to inputs on the interface.

AX8 will not transfer audio over USB.

Hello,

I'm also considering to replace my loved Axe-FX II by a AX8 for practical reasons (weight, built-in footswitch etc..) and I'm quite afraid of the lack of CPU power of the unit, versus the Axe II. I don't really care of the dual amp as I never use it, however, I sometimes use a lot of effects. Is it possible to get a rough idea of how an Axe preset will translate on a AX8 in terms of CPU ? I mean, can we say a maximum % of CPU power for an Axe preset to be ported to the AX8 ? For exemple is it correct to estimate that an Axe preset using 85% of the CPU won't be usable on the AX8 ? But what's the threshold, 80% ?

And one question for Fractal, why don't you allow to use the dedicated amp modeling CPU for effects when there is actually no amp in the chain ?

Thanks !

Hello,

I'm also considering to replace my loved Axe-FX II by a AX8 for practical reasons (weight, built-in footswitch etc..) and I'm quite afraid of the lack of CPU power of the unit, versus the Axe II. I don't really care of the dual amp as I never use it, however, I sometimes use a lot of effects. Is it possible to get a rough idea of how an Axe preset will translate on a AX8 in terms of CPU ? I mean, can we say a maximum % of CPU power for an Axe preset to be ported to the AX8 ? For exemple is it correct to estimate that an Axe preset using 85% of the CPU won't be usable on the AX8 ? But what's the threshold, 80% ?

And one question for Fractal, why don't you allow to use the dedicated amp modeling CPU for effects when there is actually no amp in the chain ?

Thanks !
Probably more like 50%.
Here is a link to the CPU usage.
I play a lot of PW music which requires shimmer verb, big delays, big verbs and very effect heavy stuff, using one preset per song I never run out of CPU but I often can't use one preset to cover everything even for just a 5 song set.

Back
Top Bottom