Relay amp switch lag

sarruffat

Hi guys. Using the relay TRS switches to control channels on my Mark V (Mesa Boogie). There is about a 1/10 to 1/4 second lag or "delay" when the switch is engaged to the channel switching. I have high quality TRS cables and I did troubleshooting, all of which leads to the same result. I have another competitor switcher (shall remain nameless) that is spot on when engaged. The proprietary foot switch for the amp is also spot on. This is becoming an issue when playing. Not sure I want to use it live. Anyone having this issue? Thoughts? Admin? Thank you kindly.

I am using relays to control my Mark V and there is a lag when FX8-EDIT is connected. However, I haven't noticed a lag when the FX8 is running standalone. I've used it live a few times now with no issues.

not using the FX8-EDIT. Using it alone. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm off to a gig right now. I'll keep an eye on it tonight while I'm playing. I don't think I will notice any lag. In any event, I'll go through my config tomorrow and post anything that I think might help.

Using the 1st block as Relay 1 (so that I can use the foot switch 1 for channel 2 on Mark V) and block 5 as Relay 2 (to control channel 3). They work for sure. But the lag is noticeable. Its basically switch - momentary pause or lag (stays on previous channel for a very brief moment) - engage. I have them both set to Pre. Also using the effects loop as post and that is working well. Also note a slight lag when engaging the effects loop as well. It seems to be a universal function. I feel that I must be doing wrong

If you quickly tap the switch, does it improve? The switches are set to engage on Release, not the initial tap.

So if you smack the switch real fast so it releases quickly (and don't hold the switch at all), is it better?

if I tap it quickly and release it quickly, it still lags. in truth the lag is minimal but noticeable. certainly not instantaneous like the proprietary switch. so when I press it and release it, it still has that same lag. I did download the update, would that have anything to do with it. Should I do a reset. Change anything in global settings or I/O settings? It is in stock settings for now except for putting in the Pre section.

I just tried this on my FX8.

I use the Relay block to switch channels on my Rockmaster preamp. Channel switching is immediate when I release the footswitch, whether I'm using tip or ring. There is a slight lag if I use FX8-edit to bypass the Relay block, but that's to be expected. Footswitch response is instantaneous.

I have not used FX8 edit at all, at least not yet. Its strange why it isnt instantaneous. Is there a different mode you have it in? It seems no matter what I do I can't seem to shake the lag

There shouldn't be any modes to worry about. It would help if you could try switching a different piece of gear, and see whether you still get the lag.

If you disable X/Y in settings, switching is immediate when footswitch is engaged...
That was the one of the first things I did when I first played the FX8.

Are you sure ? I mean Relay block switching, not Relay switching via scenes. I thought if you disable "Press/Hold for X/Y" it made the switches in stompbox mode react on "press" instead of "release". I'm not at home right now so I can't verify...

You're right: disabling "Press/Hold for X/Y" makes the stomp switches act on the downpress instead the release, but in either case, the relay switches immediately on the chosen switch direction.

Back
Top Bottom