RedWirez Big Box Far Fields: Game is ON!

Wow! Redwirez seems to have the same great idea about customer support that Fractal Audio has:

Free updates.
Very fast bugfixes.

Simply great!!!

Thanks Mike. I downloaded the new ones and re-did my mix for a few cabs I did last night and these are definitely smoother. I'm just bumming because I have plans to meet up with some friends for dinner in a little while. I guess I can always stay up late and annoy my neighbors when I get home. Somehow they don't appreciate these IRs the way I do.

redwire said:
This time I used r8Brain Pro, which is what I used on the current crop of cabinets, as the new SRC tool we used is suspect. :?

From my own tests "r8Brain Pro" is the best there is.

;)

I bought and downloaded the BigBox pack a few days ago and couldn't be happier. Talk about value, and the Tech support over there is the best, as I was having issues downloading and uploading into my Axe, and received very workable step by step problem solving advice. Whatever they put out, I'm getting.

How and where do you get this "RefFarField" update and other future updates? I did sign up for updates, do they just send them to you, or there a page on the site I'm missing? Do I need to update all the cab/mics or just certain ones (just downloaded BigBox a few days ago)?

Are there any other IR's for sale out there worth checking out?

Thanks for posting your ideas. I will do the same once I get the ball rolling on multiple mic/cab settings.

rcd

ang said:
im missing something here.
i got the email about the new IR fixes but i dont see a download link at all. even on the webpage. where do i get the IRs?

rcd said:
I bought and downloaded the BigBox pack a few days ago and couldn't be happier. Talk about value, and the Tech support over there is the best, as I was having issues downloading and uploading into my Axe, and received very workable step by step problem solving advice. Whatever they put out, I'm getting.

How and where do you get this "RefFarField" update and other future updates? I did sign up for updates, do they just send them to you, or there a page on the site I'm missing? Do I need to update all the cab/mics or just certain ones (just downloaded BigBox a few days ago)?

Thanks for posting your ideas. I will do the same once I get the ball rolling on multiple mic/cab settings.

rcd

If you got back to your original sales email, it has a link to DL the BIGBOX. Download again and the updates are there. I downloaded the updates through the email link from yesterday.
I double check my original link and downloaded the 500MB file again and the updates are there.

GuitarDojo said:
rcd said:

http://recabi.net/site/products/recabinet-complete-20/
Their entire IR library is on sale for $14.99 - Worth a try for that price.

I think they are going to be coming out with some new stuff soon. Competition "betters" the product. ;)

+ the Celestion Alnico Blue from Redwirez - "Speaker Box" should be in your collection. $9.95

GuitarDojo said:
GuitarDojo said:
rcd said:

http://recabi.net/site/products/recabinet-complete-20/
Their entire IR library is on sale for $14.99 - Worth a try for that price.

I think they are going to be coming out with some new stuff soon. Competition "betters" the product. ;)

+ the Celestion Alnico Blue from Redwirez - "Speaker Box" should be in your collection. $9.95

Not clear to me yet why the Speaker Box is needed, if one already owns the Big Box. Een after scanning the info on the RW site. Can you explain?

yek said:
Not clear to me yet why the Speaker Box is needed, if one already owns the Big Box. Een after scanning the info on the RW site. Can you explain?
Its just the speaker itself not the cabinet.

For folks wondering where to download the updates, there's a "Get updates here" link at the top of the home page now. You can send yourself the updates link via email. Everyone has there own link that only lists updates relevant to their products.

We're implementing a login function for the site, but for now this is the only way to do it.

I am very glad Scott is taking the lead with the mixing. I can definately hear a marked improvement in my tone since using his mixed cabs. I don't have an ear (or the patience) required to come up with superior ir's but since Scott is eagerly sharing, I will continue to "borrow" from his expertise!!

Thanks Scott!!!

mitch236 said:
BTW, I think Tom should send Scott an Atomic so he can design ir's especially for the Fractal system.

Thanks for the kind words and the thought, but he won't and I would not accept it anyway. If I can't pay for it, I don't deserve it. :)

Scott Peterson said:
If I can't pay for it, I don't deserve it. :)

While I accept your sentiment, I don't agree. Just because you don't pay with money doesn't mean you aren't reimbursing the company for their product. As an example, I decided to use your ir mix from your latest Marshall preset and even though I already bought the Big Box series I needed to buy the speakerbox series to complete the cocktail. I would have never bought that package otherwise so you are resposible for the sale to me. If Tom gives you a demo Atomic and you build a set of the most awesome presets with it and 50 people here all buy an Atomic to take advantage of your awesome presets, then Tom will be very happy!! You are an accidental salesman for many products, including the Axe and you should recieve some commission.

mitch236 said:
Scott Peterson said:
If I can't pay for it, I don't deserve it. :)

While I accept your sentiment, I don't agree. Just because you don't pay with money doesn't mean you aren't reimbursing the company for their product. As an example, I decided to use your ir mix from your latest Marshall preset and even though I already bought the Big Box series I needed to buy the speakerbox series to complete the cocktail. I would have never bought that package otherwise so you are resposible for the sale to me. If Tom gives you a demo Atomic and you build a set of the most awesome presets with it and 50 people here all buy an Atomic to take advantage of your awesome presets, then Tom will be very happy!! You are an accidental salesman for many products, including the Axe and you should recieve some commission.

I get cha'; but that's really not my game. On Rig Talk I had a guy tear me a new one implying that is exactly what I 'am doing' when it isn't. His perspective and opinion was that I am shilling gear for freebies and favors. It cuts two ways; do you start giving glowing reviews and flip it to make a profit (which is the 'pump and dump' certain guys sully TGP and other forums with) or just bring it real with what you use?

Taylor sent me 3 solid body guitars and all the pickups to review and discuss; but they are not mine to keep. I was up front about that from the first post.

It's a sticky wicket; because the moment you start posting anything, someone somewhere thinks you are on the take or scamming in some way. That's really just not my game. I just like to hang out and talk gear; either in person or online. I've always been a gear hound and just enjoy it.

I'll stick to my 'no freebies' rule to keep my personal integrity in the right place.

Sorry for the tangent....

I think that Mike from RW might consider giving Cliff a couple of the IR's for the next Axe firmware update. What a great marketing tool IMO for Red Wire. You could call them BigBox1 etc. If you are an Axe user and you like them then you might want to buy the BigBox or SpeakerBox set.

Scott Peterson said:
Here's what I did:

- Drop the new FF IR's into your Axe-FX one at a time (appropriate preset, i.e. Marshall cab/Marshall preset); turning everything else in the preset to 'bypass'. Just amp/cab.

- Listen.

- Take notes.

- Make guess, type up a spec mix that makes sense and run the mixer, then convert it with Albert's converter.

- Drop it in the Axe-FX as above.

- Listen.

- Take notes.

- Adjust as you go.

Ah, the post I was looking for. Actually Scott, why don't you do this process by recording a pass with just the amp block in Reaper and then audition your cabs with Kefir or something similar? Wouldn't it be faster that way?

MSS said:
I think that Mike from RW might consider giving Cliff a couple of the IR's for the next Axe firmware update. What a great marketing tool IMO for Red Wire. You could call them BigBox1 etc. If you are an Axe user and you like them then you might want to buy the BigBox or SpeakerBox set.

If Cliff would consider something like that, I only hope it is not at the expense of eliminating some of the Excellent close-mic'd cabs that come with the Axe-Fx. Cliff already dumped one of my favorites (think it was a 4x 12 30W). While I am having fun with the RedWirez close and far-field IRs and mixes (Big Box set) I still mostly use Cliff's original cabs. Of course we are all different, and marketing along with Cliff's judgment will prevail. In any event, a couple might please most users?

Strange that I would actually prefer sitting in the room with my QSC HPR 122i using close-mic's IRs, but I do... There's no doubt about the fact that the far-fields more closely emulate my amps and cabs, but I've grown to prefer the different tones I've developed from the close-mic'd IRs. Ultimately that's what it's all about: more tools and something for everyone!

enjoy

Back
Top Bottom