RedWirez Big Box Far Fields: Game is ON!

redwire said:
Aleksi said:
I've been using one of the TC30 Mesa IR's (cap edge 0in) you posted on the forum a while ago and I just compared it to the one in the actual update, and the new one sounds quite a bit different to the one I've been using. The new one sounds noticeably "fizzier." I also tried cap 0in with the same results. Do you have any idea why they sound so different?

Uh... Houston we have a problem. The length is a little different. But, biggest difference is the SRC. We switched to iZotope's SRC because it looks good on paper and in our testing the results were excellent and it's integrated in some nice batch processing tools. Anyway, that looks like the problem. It effects the high-end in the 48KHz sampling rate IRs only. Which of course are the ones everyone cares about. It's a pretty significant boost. The other's are true to the 96KHz source. It has to be the implementation in our batch tool because I can't imagine the izotope algorithm itself could munge it up so significantly.

So, I guess that's what I get for rushing it out the door with virtually no beta testing. I'm going to have to reprocess them all with a different SRC, just to be safe. I'm really sorry guys. Especially, all you guys who have cranked out mixes already. Maybe these "sparkly" IRs will become collectors items :)

I'm just trying to do too many things at once. Mea culpa :oops:

So I wasn't just imagining things! :) It sounded a bit weird to me, so I decided to compare them and noticed a very prominent buzz in the high end. I guess it's back to the old Mesa for a while. On the plus side, I got some great clean tones with the Fender and Vox IR's.

Scott Peterson said:
I'll say that even from what I have right now, the ability to 'hear' the cabinet when listening in stereo over studio monitors is incredible. It's coming from a cab; you can see it and hear it when you close your eyes. The soundsource with the stock cabs and all other close mic'd cabs is that the sound source sounds like a flat 'soundboard' with speakers; the FF really allows the character of the actual cabs and speakers to 'breathe'. The 3D aspect is immediately apparent and obvious. I laughed out loud when I heard it.

Yepp you can feel the "air" between you and the cab.

Everybody should try this.
Amp + Cab with the 2m IR, no reverb or anything else,
close your eyes and listen.... the cab is in the room.

;)

I should release them tonight. But, I'm not going to rush it this time. You guys who've downloaded the current IRs and liked the added high end might want to keep them.

AndrewSimon said:
Scott Peterson said:
I'll say that even from what I have right now, the ability to 'hear' the cabinet when listening in stereo over studio monitors is incredible. It's coming from a cab; you can see it and hear it when you close your eyes. The soundsource with the stock cabs and all other close mic'd cabs is that the sound source sounds like a flat 'soundboard' with speakers; the FF really allows the character of the actual cabs and speakers to 'breathe'. The 3D aspect is immediately apparent and obvious. I laughed out loud when I heard it.

Yepp you can feel the "air" between you and the cab.

Everybody should try this.
Amp + Cab with the 2m IR, no reverb or anything else,
close your eyes and listen.... the cab is in the room.

;)

Sounds great, I'll have to go and setup my Axe ;) Clip?

Scott Peterson said:
I've done like 60 cab mixes now using the new IR's.... so I'll stop, wait for the new processing and then simply have to run the IR Mixer and AlbertA's converter and commence auditioning again. I have like 15 Marshall cabs, 18 Bogner cabs, 12 Vox cabs and 12 Fender cabs. I stopped at 3 or 4 Mesa cabs; the high end was not working for me... so it is a relief that it's simply 'not me' here. Whew.

You are a madman

how do these new farfield IR's sound by themselves? is it necessary to mix them with other IR's to make them useable? danke schon.

jb

Here's what I did:

- Drop the new FF IR's into your Axe-FX one at a time (appropriate preset, i.e. Marshall cab/Marshall preset); turning everything else in the preset to 'bypass'. Just amp/cab.

- Listen.

- Take notes.

- Make guess, type up a spec mix that makes sense and run the mixer, then convert it with Albert's converter.

- Drop it in the Axe-FX as above.

- Listen.

- Take notes.

- Adjust as you go.

Once you 'get' one mix working for a given amp/cab, then drop your reverb/delay/whatever you usually use back in and listen.

Then move onto the next amp model block and do it again.

I base everything around what's available in the Red Wires BigBox right now. So I have a Marshall Cab, Bogner Cab (I am preferring the Marshall V30 IR's, though I have the Mesa and Orange in some of the mixed IR's too), Vox/Matchless Cab and Fender (preferring, at this point the Blues over the Jensens). I also started a Mesa Recto type of cab with those IR's, but stopped because the high end was out of whack.

So really, I have a Marshall, Bogner(V30), Vox/Matchless, Fender and Mesa cab 'collection'. As Mike releases more speaker/cab IR's (dying for the new stuff; I don't usually even like Greenback cabs for Marshalls for instance in the analog world), I'll redo my preferred cabs.

I view this as nothing more than akin to what I used to do in the analog domain having THD 212, Bogner 212, 412; Rivera 212's; Tone Tools 112, 212; and my trusty 70's Vintage Carvin 412 on hand. Now, they are 'in the black box' is all. And sound perfect every time. :D

What will be interesting IMO, since the original Axe Cab Ir's were captured with a TC30, is a RW reference cab with an Axe mic assignment. Cool stuff.

Mike Snider said:
[quote="Scott Peterson":102xvdc9]
I've done like 60 cab mixes now using the new IR's.... so I'll stop, wait for the new processing and then simply have to run the IR Mixer and AlbertA's converter and commence auditioning again. I have like 15 Marshall cabs, 18 Bogner cabs, 12 Vox cabs and 12 Fender cabs. I stopped at 3 or 4 Mesa cabs; the high end was not working for me... so it is a relief that it's simply 'not me' here. Whew.

You are a madman[/quote:102xvdc9]

Lots of REDBULL,Scott? :lol:

Axisman5150 said:
Mike Snider said:
[quote="Scott Peterson":1nnvw696]

You are a madman

Lots of REDBULL,Scott? :lol:[/quote:1nnvw696]

Nah. The tone keeps me rolling. :D

Who needs sleep anyway? ;) :D

Axisman5150 said:
Mike Snider said:
[quote="Scott Peterson":20vc6125]

You are a madman

Lots of REDBULL,Scott? :lol:[/quote:20vc6125]
He's drinkin REDWirez!

solo-act said:
REDwirez

Now that's funny

I need to set aside some time in December to check out these IRs

Put your helmet on; your head is gonna explode. And I mean that sincerely.

Scott Peterson said:
[quote="solo-act":203428k5]REDwirez

Now that's funny

Put your helmet on; your head is gonna explode. And I mean that sincerely.[/quote:203428k5] Ahhh, my words from so long ago come back to visit me again.

So are you guys who have the big box set having to buy the new set or is it a free addition, and also if I buy the bigbox now will I get the entire old set including the new ones?? Bye the way, I love all of you guy's enthusiasm, especially you Scott, its fantastic! :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol:

solo-act said:
[quote="Scott Peterson":2xm7eh8n][quote="solo-act":2xm7eh8n]REDwirez

Now that's funny

Put your helmet on; your head is gonna explode. And I mean that sincerely.[/quote:2xm7eh8n] Ahhh, my words from so long ago come back to visit me again.[/quote:2xm7eh8n]

That's where I was coming from. Sincerely meant too. This is the key to the entire experience, and we are just at the beginning of it. As the IR thing matures and we get more choices (speakers, cabs) from Red Wire.... oh, this is gonna be fun.

jhuggins said:
So are you guys who have the big box set having to buy the new set or is it a free addition, and also if I buy the bigbox now will I get the entire old set including the new ones?? Bye the way, I love all of you guy's enthusiasm, especially you Scott, its fantastic! :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol:

If you currently own them, then it's a free update. If you buy them now, it's included to the best of my knowledge. (*Note I do not work for, nor do I have any connection to Red Wire).

Hey, this stuff is fun. Tone is like beer, the more the better... and the better, the better. :D

Scott Peterson said:
(*Note I do not work for, nor do I have any connection to Red Wire).
I know you don't, :lol: :lol: but they sure owe you a RED Bull or two! I wouldn't 've bought them if it weren't for you.

They should give you a set of every new speaker they bring out. You're so good at singing their praises they will hardly have to market them anymore.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dutch said:
Scott Peterson said:
(*Note I do not work for, nor do I have any connection to Red Wire).
I know you don't, :lol: :lol: but they sure owe you a RED Bull or two! I wouldn't 've bought them if it weren't for you.

They should give you a set of every new speaker they bring out. You're so good at singing their praises they will hardly have to market them anymore.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Meh, I'm just a guy that paid full price and really see the value of their product. I don't want nor look for any special favors; just dig gear (and algorithms and IR's) that work. These work - damn well, so I have no qualms opening my big trap about them. :D

Ok. I've updated all the packages with the corrected SRC. I resampled everything again. This time I used r8Brain Pro, which is what I used on the current crop of cabinets, as the new SRC tool we used is suspect. Sorry for the hassle. Thank you Aleksi for catching it early... before Scott broke the 100 cab mark, at least!

Hopefully, there won't be any more snafus like this one. :?

Back
Top Bottom