Reducing hum using 4CM?

I have been using the 4CM for well over a year and love it. Make sure you have all your levels and, most importantly, pad settings maximized (or minimized) for your setup. Making most of the dynamic range of the converters!

sometimes best way - just cut the ground on the cable from the amp to axe. For Mesa Mark V it helped a lot (ground loop or something like that)

Humbuster cables. The Axe-Fx was specifically designed to eliminate hum by using these cables without resorting to hum eliminators or lifting grounds (which can be dangerous).

Humbuster cables. The Axe-Fx was specifically designed to eliminate hum by using these cables without resorting to hum eliminators or lifting grounds (which can be dangerous).

What's wrong with transformer coupling in the 4cm scenario ? Is the Axe special if you want to galvanically isolate ???

Nearly all G-system users got great results.

I might add that this refers to using the Axe in a loop and NOT lifting ground.

Last edited:
I need to look into this some more. My amp has less oomph when connected via 4CM. Not so bad just running the Axe in the loop of my amp though.
I have been using the 4CM for well over a year and love it. Make sure you have all your levels and, most importantly, pad settings maximized (or minimized) for your setup. Making most of the dynamic range of the converters!

Use th Ebtech hum-eliminators and forget about the Humbusting. All pro's are using trafo'er to galvanically keep rid of hum-loops, and still keeping the ground-plane intact.

Sorry Phil, but PS Audio had the same "easy way" to try to get rid of ground-loop's. It works sometimes, but the pro's use iron and two indenpent coils to tweak the nastiness out of the eqution. Still kudos.

What's wrong with transformer coupling in the 4cm scenario ? Is the Axe special if you want to galvanically isolate ???

Nearly all G-system users got great results.

I might add that this refers to using the Axe in a loop and NOT lifting ground.

You can use transformer coupling - no problems, it costs much more than a pair of humbuster cables for just a little little less noise ! I'm pretty happy with the "humbuster" result on my 4CM setup with the AxeFx II

on the G-System, there is a simple solution that make all your fancy ebtech iso-boxes useless, it's part of the device since beginning but wrong explained in their user manual and not discovered by anybody else before. Get rid of all hum, noise, hiss whatever....and best: no tone sucking at all.

just put a special TRS to TS cable between G-System Send and Guitar-Amp Input and be happy:

Here is how it's done: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9498358/cable.png or http://www.pacocasanovas.ch/78008.jpg

Not the same as the humbuster method, but very similar..... ;)

Cheers
Paco

Last edited:
Just the other day I tried 4CM with an Elmwood M60 and a humbuster cable. Tweaked the output pads and...
It's a marked improvement over the AxeFX Ultra!! Works perfectly with AC/DC or Van Halen amount of gain.
When using more gain there's a bit of noise but it's still completely useable whereas doing this with the Ultra would not have worked for me.

Having said that - adding the Radial ABY (galvanically isolated output) made things even quieter. But I wouldn't be surprised if that depends on the amp or power or ...

Can someone steer me to setting the correct levels? I'm still struggling with this.

I was using a 4 cable method on my back up guitar system and had a hum issue. It turned out to be cables, I ended up using some short xlr cables as both effects units in the system had both xlr and 1/4 inch. But changing the cables fixed the issue. I would try that first.

I've pinpointed a problem. If I plug into the front of the A2 and run it out of output 2L (as described in the manual) to the input of my amp I have a weak signal. So my tone after the "In Front" FX is weak, like my guitar volume is rolled down half way. I can not get the signal into the front of my amp as strong as just plugging my guitar straight in. Any ideas? Oh the A2 grid in this chain is into a Phaser which is bypassed then into the FXL.

hi guys, I sold my combo and have a 3 cable set of humbuster cables, custom made, high quality. 3m each. For sale in Europe. PM me if you're interested!

Back
Top Bottom