Red Wirez IR Mixer

MKeditor

Experienced
I am intrigued about how some of you are combining IRs to create better cab sims.....but I am getting a headache just trying get the mixer to work. I downloaded the zip file, unzipped it to my folder where I keep Axe-FX stuff and have been trying to launch the program....with no joy. I have read the read me txt file and have endeavored to follow the instructions....but it tries to launch some DOS app that fails.....telling me to "press any key to continue". Nothing continues at all it just kills the app.

Is there any reason why this should be so hard?

What am I doing wrong?

I wish that all the planets and stars didn't have to be in alignment with my left foot pointed North while reciting the first hundred pages of Iliad from memory just use a cab sim.

There must be an easier way.

I am going to take some aspirin now.

First, let me start by saying that the IR mixer is a piece of carp (and I do mean the fish). There I said it. ;) I hacked it up (like a hairball) in a couple of hours, against my better judgment, to help a few people out and it has been nothing but headaches since. The hours I've spent answering emails and screwing around with it to get it to work (poorly) on OSX, Vista, Windows 7, etc. have cost me time that I could have used to sample at least 2 cabinets. I should have taken the time originally to do it right, or I shouldn't have done it at all.

EDIT: OK. OK. You guys convinced me. It was worth the time. Now and in the future. And apparently it's not a piece of carp... halibut, maybe, but not carp :)

Secondly, if you missed the critical piece in the readme about putting the IRmixer folder in your Red Wire Impulses folder, then it won't work.

Seeing as I'm stuck with this infernal app, there is a new version that I've been working on that will hopefully prove easier to use and support. At this point it's only slightly more friendly than the original version. You can get it here:

Windows: http://www.redwirez.com/ir/mixIR-win.zip
Mac OSX (intel only): http://www.redwirez.com/ir/mixIR-osx.zip

On OSX there's two icons. The pretty blueish one is the one you need to click on. The other one is a power pc binary for older macs. If you have a power PC mac, you are welcome to try it, but, I'm 99% sure it won't work. If you can find a power PC version of sox and drop it in the bin folder then it may just work. I don't have an older mac to test with otherwise I would try to get it working myself. Maybe, after we finish with the new cabs, I will focus more on it.

You can put the new one anywhere, but you still have to tell it where to get the IR files, so you really should just drop the mixIR folder in your Red Wire Impulses folder and save yourself the trouble of telling it where to find the files every time you run it. There's a file called "ir-location.txt" in the "conf" folder where you can plug-in a path to your IRs if you insist on putting the app somewhere other than in your Red Wire Impulses folder.

I will eventually add some more bells and whistles that won't rely on editing text files, but right now I would like to focus on sampling cabinets. Hopefully, y'all won't have too many problems with it.

Now, that I have completely ruined my reputation for quality products and good customer service, I will be signing off.

I didn't know you created the mixer. Sorry about that.

I am still missing the boat somehow. I downloaded the file, put it my Red Wirez folder, unzipped the folder and this is what I get when trying to launch:

redwirez_screenshot.jpg

Any clues as to what I am doing wrong will be greatly appreciated.

redwire said:
Now, that I have completely ruined my reputation for quality products and good customer service, I will be signing off.

One of my main reason purchasing your IRs was the IRmixer. So did some local the recording studios after showing them the results with it. None has issues using it. Keep up the good work!
Sometimes crap turns to gold.

aftec said:
redwire said:

One of my main reason purchasing your IRs was the IRmixer. So did some local the recording studios after showing them the results with it. None has issues using it. Keep up the good work!
Sometimes crap turns to gold.

You sir, just made my day.

Also, I think I just remembered that there's an old G4 being used as a doorstop at the studio.

MKeditor said:

I am still missing the boat somehow. I downloaded the file, put it my Red Wirez folder, unzipped the folder and this is what I get when trying to launch:

You have an IR Base Path path problem and that the Redwirez .wavs are not installed where the mixer is looking.

Your base path is "C:\Pics\music\Axe-fx\New Folder\Red wirez"

The mixer is then looking for the subfolders "\BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\Marshall1960A-G12Ms\....." under that base path which are not there.

I think if you unzipped the Redwirez .wav package to "C:\Pics\music\Axe-fx\New Folder" that will fix things, or you can change your base path to point correctly to where you've installed the .wav files. Like redwire said, you can't use the .syx files to mix (and it looks like you have the Axe-FX .syx files in the folder "Marshall1960A-G12Ms Axe-Fx" and are trying to use those).

The easiest fix is to just correct the IR Base Path to point to the place where you installed the full Redwirez IR package.

redwire said:

Noooooo the IRMixer is a very useful, interesting tool and I got it to work the first time I tried it...I really appreciate this app and your great service!!

Stratoblaster said:
MKeditor said:

You have an IR Base Path path problem and that the Redwirez .wavs are not installed where the mixer is looking.

The mixer is then looking for the subfolders "\BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\Marshall1960A-G12Ms\....." under that base path which are not there.

I think if you unzipped the Redwirez .wav package to "C:\Pics\music\Axe-fx\New Folder" that will fix things, or you can change your base path to point correctly to where you've installed the .wav files. Like redwire said, you can't use the .syx files to mix (and it looks like you have the Axe-FX .syx files in the folder "Marshall1960A-G12Ms Axe-Fx" and are trying to use those).

The easiest fix is to take Scott's suggestion and unzip the IR mixer into wherever you have the Redwires IR's installed...I'd suspect you'd have to clear your IR Base Path then so it's working with the 'default' relative paths, not 100% sure though...

I don't have a Redwirez .wav folder. :?

MKeditor said:

Hmmmm perhaps search your entire drive for a file like "Marshall1960A-G12Ms-R121-ConeEdge-6in.wav" and that will tell you where you've unzipped the full BIGBox package. If that file isn't found you've installed the IR's incorrectly and need to try installing the full package again.

Maybe you just downloaded the separate Axe-Fx package. If that's the case, then you need to go back and download the whole enchilada and make sure the mixIR knows where to find them by setting the IR Base Path.

MKeditor said:
Stratoblaster said:
MKeditor said:

The easiest fix is to take Scott's suggestion and unzip the IR mixer into wherever you have the Redwires IR's installed...I'd suspect you'd have to clear your IR Base Path then so it's working with the 'default' relative paths, not 100% sure though...

D'oh! Well, that explains that then. :D :D :D :D

redwire said:
First, let me start by saying that the IR mixer is a piece of carp (and I do mean the fish). There I said it. ;) I hacked it up (like a hairball) in a couple of hours, against my better judgment, to help a few people out and it has been nothing but headaches since. The hours I've spent answering emails and screwing around with it to get it to work (poorly) on OSX, Vista, Windows 7, etc. have cost me time that I could have used to sample at least 2 cabinets. I should have taken the time originally to do it right, or I shouldn't have done it at all.

Secondly, if you missed the critical piece in the readme about putting the IRmixer folder in your Red Wire Impulses folder, then it won't work.

Seeing as I'm stuck with this infernal app, there is a new version that I've been working on that will hopefully prove easier to use and support. At this point it's only slightly more friendly than the original version. You can get it here:

Windows: http://www.redwirez.com/ir/mixIR-win.zip
Mac OSX (intel only): http://www.redwirez.com/ir/mixIR-osx.zip

On OSX there's two icons. The pretty blueish one is the one you need to click on. The other one is a power pc binary for older macs. If you have a power PC mac, you are welcome to try it, but, I'm 99% sure it won't work. If you can find a power PC version of sox and drop it in the bin folder then it may just work. I don't have an older mac to test with otherwise I would try to get it working myself. Maybe, after we finish with the new cabs, I will focus more on it.

You can put the new one anywhere, but you still have to tell it where to get the IR files, so you really should just drop the mixIR folder in your Red Wire Impulses folder and save yourself the trouble of telling it where to find the files every time you run it. There's a file called "ir-location.txt" in the "conf" folder where you can plug-in a path to your IRs if you insist on putting the app somewhere other than in your Red Wire Impulses folder.

I will eventually add some more bells and whistles that won't rely on editing text files, but right now I would like to focus on sampling cabinets. Hopefully, y'all won't have too many problems with it.

Whoa man.

Your IR mixer (which is FREE) and AlbertA's app (also FREE) totally gave me the tools (with your IR's... of course!) to create what I've dreamed about for a LONG time.

I can't thank you enough for it. And I mean it too; no sarcasm. Straight up.

redwire said:
I will eventually add some more bells and whistles that won't rely on editing text files, but right now I would like to focus on sampling cabinets.

The latest version works like a charm on my Vista system. I don't know what is more exciting, waiting for the next Firmware update by Cliff or the updated cab IR's from Redwire. LOL! :lol:

Thanks again for the GREAT customer service!

Mike, I just tried you latest OS X stand-alone and it worked perfectly for me man. Nice work. And a very big THANK YOU!

I thought the only folder needed was the axe-fx folder. I still have much to learn.

I am envious of all of you who are able to mix all these IRs. I hope to get past this bump in the road so I can play with these new toys too. I have been holding off on buying the complete set until I can do something with them. I will invest more time solving this challenge tomorrow.

Rogue said:
This IR mixer....can you audition the mixed IRs before saving the files?
Nope.
But mixing takes seconds and you can make a lot of test IR mix configs even in Excel (Of course you need to feed those to separate config text files) and you can iterate from them.

Back
Top Bottom