RED SOUND FRFR Speakers now offered through the Fractal Audio online store!

My Elis.8's arrive on Thursday. I'll report back with my (highly subjective, by no means expert) opinion on listening to music through them, as a secondary use. I have no doubt they'll excel with my FM9 -- primary use, of course.

I have the Elis 8 active. I am going to buy the Elis 8 passive soon. When you buy the Elis 8 passive, is the speak on cable included? Also, if the cable gets damaged, where can you buy another one?

I recently bought a pair of Elis8 Pros from Fractal. This isn't really a review... not enough experience with 'em yet. But so far, I've used a stereo pair on smaller jazz room gigs, and I'm diggin' em. As others have previously noted, mids are somewhat enhanced and highs are a bit less glassy and "hi-fi", compared to my CLR Neo. So, not what I'd choose for my steel-string acoustic gtr gigs... but terrific for jazz gtr sound.

Now, for my idiot newbie question...;)

To date, I've simply been running two 1/4", TS unbalanced gtr cables out of my AX8 into each Elis8. No noticeable hum/buzz problems... but I'm a bit puzzled that I have the output vol knobs set at 8-9 on the Elis, and the AX8 out around 11-1PM, depending on the room. I've certainly got enough volume for these gigs... but I'm wondering if using the unbalanced cables (as opposed to BALANCED cables, as has been specified) is causing me to lose not only volume but freq response?
In short... am I missing a better result by not using balanced 1/4" cables?

I recently bought a pair of Elis8 Pros from Fractal. This isn't really a review... not enough experience with 'em yet. But so far, I've used a stereo pair on smaller jazz room gigs, and I'm diggin' em. As others have previously noted, mids are somewhat enhanced and highs are a bit less glassy and "hi-fi", compared to my CLR Neo. So, not what I'd choose for my steel-string acoustic gtr gigs... but terrific for jazz gtr sound.

Now, for my idiot newbie question...;)

To date, I've simply been running two 1/4", TS unbalanced gtr cables out of my AX8 into each Elis8. No noticeable hum/buzz problems... but I'm a bit puzzled that I have the output vol knobs set at 8-9 on the Elis, and the AX8 out around 11-1PM, depending on the room. I've certainly got enough volume for these gigs... but I'm wondering if using the unbalanced cables (as opposed to BALANCED cables, as has been specified) is causing me to lose not only volume but freq response?
In short... am I missing a better result by not using balanced 1/4" cables?
If all other things are equal, the difference between balanced and unbalanced is 6 dB. There is no difference in frequency response.

Note that Fractal’s 1/4” Outputs are unbalanced. If you want balanced out, use the XLR outputs.

If all other things are equal, the difference between balanced and unbalanced is 6 dB. There is no difference in frequency response.

Note that Fractal’s 1/4” Outputs are unbalanced. If you want balanced out, use the XLR outputs.
Thanks, Rex! So, to clarify...

I'm presently running out of Output 2, using the two 1/4" outs. (I prefer doing that consistently, so that when I'm on larger stages, I can use my same backline setup, and run XLR out of Output 1.)

So, for me, if I was to run TRS 1/4" cables out of Out 2, I wouldn't notice any difference in vol or freq response?
But, if I was to run XLRs out of Out 1, then I'd be 4x louder, but no freq response difference?

So, for me, if I was to run TRS 1/4" cables out of Out 2, I wouldn't notice any difference in vol or freq response?
But, if I was to run XLRs out of Out 1, then I'd be 4x louder, but no freq response difference?
Fractal’s 1/4” Outputs are Humbuster, not balanced. You can’t get a balanced signal out of them, no matter what you do. A TRS cable will not help, and may introduce noise because the Humbuster function needs a Humbuster cable.

Switching to XLRs will add 6 dB, which is four times the power, but you won’t hear it as four times louder. It takes about a 10 dB increase to be perceived as twice as loud. And there will be no difference in frequency response, other than what Fletcher-Munson fools your ears into hearing.

where are going to use them (rehearsal room, bedroom, studio)? As already said Elis.8 has a lot of power and can be the right solution if you have to fight with your neighbors 😉
I tried MF.10 and then switched to Eli’s.8 in my studio since they are more than enough for tracking (FAS unit out1 direct to my SSL board - or digitally directly to my DAW - and Elis.8 right in front of the guitar player for feeling and feedback).
And they only weigh 8.5 kg.

So, for me, if I was to run TRS 1/4" cables out of Out 2
As was said, don’t use the 1/4” outs with TRS, expecting to get a balanced signal, ‘cause that won’t work.

You can use the 1/4” Humbuster outputs with a TS/guitar cable into unbalanced 1/4” inputs on the other units. See the rear panel description (#20) in the manual on p. 23 in the FM3 manual.

IMG_0030.jpeg
The same information is in the FM9 manual.

Back
Top Bottom