Red Sound Elis8 FRFR Review and MF 10 Comparision

Got a stereo mf10 bundle last week from g66. Looking forward to trying them at rehearsal but I agree with some other comments that at bedroom level they don't sound very frfr at first I thought that the tweater must have been damaged during shipping but after reading comments here it sounds like the apparent rolled off high end might be normal. Anyway, I own a pair of CLRs and grabbed these as I wanted a lighter solution. Fingers crossed that they deliver at band volume 👍

I've had the Elis8 Stereo bundle for about a month now, love them.

Prior to them I was using a single Yamaha DXR-10 - which I was very happy with, didn't really need to change - but fancied trying stereo and the Yamaha was really large (I'm 99% a bedroom player).

When the Elis8 pair arrived and I plugged in, initially I was disappointed seemed slightly flat compared to the DXR, then I switched back to the DXR and realised how hyped the low-mid and low frequencies sounded, yes it sounded impressive but definitely 'hyped'. Super loudness curve sort of thing.

Plugged the Elis8 back in, let my ears adjust and also disabled the filter block I have/had in every preset (small boost in the mids for a more 'in the room sound) and they sounded much, much better. The DXR-10 went straight on eBay.

I'm playing at home, so low but not whisper low - certainly loud enough that you'd need to raise your voice to talk over, but definitely not loud and you'd not need to shout over it.

Absolutely love them, the stereo makes a big difference and I'm loving all the possibilities that opens up - but there's more than that, it's great I don't need the filter block anymore, some presets have been really re-worked, I'm finding the bass is more guitar amp like and that means on some amps (Plexi's etc) I'm dialling the bass back because I can hear the fuzz a bit more, with others the treble can go up - because it feels much more like an amp. For some amps, this was a challenge - but for many presets just got much quicker to build, the Wrecker Liverpool is killing it for me right now, an amp I haven't liked before.

A couple of times I've cranked them, and they do sound absolutely glorious - but if you're an at home player, please don't think they don't also sound good at home levels - thoroughly recommended

I've had the Elis8 Stereo bundle for about a month now, love them.

Prior to them I was using a single Yamaha DXR-10 - which I was very happy with, didn't really need to change - but fancied trying stereo and the Yamaha was really large (I'm 99% a bedroom player).

When the Elis8 pair arrived and I plugged in, initially I was disappointed seemed slightly flat compared to the DXR, then I switched back to the DXR and realised how hyped the low-mid and low frequencies sounded, yes it sounded impressive but definitely 'hyped'. Super loudness curve sort of thing.

Plugged the Elis8 back in, let my ears adjust and also disabled the filter block I have/had in every preset (small boost in the mids for a more 'in the room sound) and they sounded much, much better. The DXR-10 went straight on eBay.

I'm playing at home, so low but not whisper low - certainly loud enough that you'd need to raise your voice to talk over, but definitely not loud and you'd not need to shout over it.

Absolutely love them, the stereo makes a big difference and I'm loving all the possibilities that opens up - but there's more than that, it's great I don't need the filter block anymore, some presets have been really re-worked, I'm finding the bass is more guitar amp like and that means on some amps (Plexi's etc) I'm dialling the bass back because I can hear the fuzz a bit more, with others the treble can go up - because it feels much more like an amp. For some amps, this was a challenge - but for many presets just got much quicker to build, the Wrecker Liverpool is killing it for me right now, an amp I haven't liked before.

A couple of times I've cranked them, and they do sound absolutely glorious - but if you're an at home player, please don't think they don't also sound good at home levels - thoroughly recommended
Thank you for sharing you impressions!
And I absolutely second that, I also disabled every Filter and EQ etc.
I love this speakers.
Cheers
Sash

I sent an ELIS.8 Stereo Bundle request on Feb 21. I sent Sussi an email today just checking how things are going. I mentioned I'm in the states. She forwarded my email to Mirko, so I'm likely starting from the end of the line. :( My fault for not sending the request to the right place to begin with I suppose.
Hello @CipherHost, were you able to complete your transaction? I'm looking to purchase the MF 10 Active Cab. I tried to order through G66.eu but they don't ship to the US. They did forwarded my request to info@redsound.it in regard to my request to purchase. Is that who you went through?

Last edited:
Well reading thru this thread like many others I have read on other speaker/cabs meant more or less for modelers I can come to no conclusions. Furthermore living in the US and with no distributor, that I know of, not very easy just to checkthe Elis.8 or MF.10 out in my own environment. This is a very big problem with acquiring or choosing gear these days. Going to forums and Youtube demos to try and pick thru all of the information is quite challenging. As far as how these powered speakers actually sound I really have not much of a better idea than when I started. Varying opinions really do not help much. As soon as you start thinking well these might actually be for me another thread comes along and says wow mine have a weird noise or they suck if you play general music thru them. These units are not exactly cheap and the actual manufacturer really gives very little spec information on them. Would not buy something based on specs alone but certainly is somewhat helpful in understanding some sort of relationship to some other device in its class. On another rant none of these modeling amps/speakers/cabs have a frequency response that is 'flat'. Your room isn't flat, your ears aren't flat and transducers and or cabinets are not flat. You are going to get the IR response that is to be influenced by everything that it flows thru. The FRFR thing is really more theory than actual reality. Kind of a rabbit hole. It is very interesting that we have really good modelers now (FM3 here) but have fits over how to get the sound out of them as was originally intended or recorded from the IR files. It goes back around to my original thought of how to find the thing that works for me. Maybe hauling that Fender deluxe reverb around or similar wasn't so bad after all. At least I knew what it generally sounded like.

Well reading thru this thread like many others I have read on other speaker/cabs meant more or less for modelers I can come to no conclusions. Furthermore living in the US and with no distributor, that I know of, not very easy just to checkthe Elis.8 or MF.10 out in my own environment. This is a very big problem with acquiring or choosing gear these days. Going to forums and Youtube demos to try and pick thru all of the information is quite challenging. As far as how these powered speakers actually sound I really have not much of a better idea than when I started. Varying opinions really do not help much. As soon as you start thinking well these might actually be for me another thread comes along and says wow mine have a weird noise or they suck if you play general music thru them. These units are not exactly cheap and the actual manufacturer really gives very little spec information on them. Would not buy something based on specs alone but certainly is somewhat helpful in understanding some sort of relationship to some other device in its class. On another rant none of these modeling amps/speakers/cabs have a frequency response that is 'flat'. Your room isn't flat, your ears aren't flat and transducers and or cabinets are not flat. You are going to get the IR response that is to be influenced by everything that it flows thru. The FRFR thing is really more theory than actual reality. Kind of a rabbit hole. It is very interesting that we have really good modelers now (FM3 here) but have fits over how to get the sound out of them as was originally intended or recorded from the IR files. It goes back around to my original thought of how to find the thing that works for me. Maybe hauling that Fender deluxe reverb around or similar wasn't so bad after all. At least I knew what it generally sounded like.
Whatever FRFR solution you select you still have tweak your presets to your taste and your rig. If it's complicated to acquire these cabs from Italy, I believe you'll get great results from the Xitone Active 12" Wedge or the Atomic CLR NEO MKII, both of which are distributed within the US. If it helps, here's a comparison I posted of those two: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...neo-mkii-with-the-xitone-active-wedge.175938/

… not very easy just to checkthe Elis.8 or MF.10 out in my own environment.
Definitely an issue. The same would be said of Fractal except they have a well published return policy. If REDSOUND had the same thing it’d help I think.

As far as how these powered speakers actually sound I really have not much of a better idea than when I started. Varying opinions really do not help much. As soon as you start thinking well these might actually be for me another thread comes along and says wow mine have a weird noise or they suck if you play general music thru them.
Perhaps this will help: I have a pair, and without any tweaks to EQ I think mine sound like the sound Marco Fanton gets in his demos of them. Clear, well-balanced, musical are the adjectives I’d use. They’re loud enough for your personal stage monitoring but I wouldn’t try to fill a room with them unless it’s a small room.

Yes, they would suck for general music, but that’s to be expected because they are not designed to be used that way. Their frequency is tailored for a guitar’s range, and they do that extremely well. It’s kind of like complaining that a Porsche is lousy for pulling a travel trailer… well, yeah, it’s not made for that.

My only issue with the ELIS.8 speaker is that it can’t tip back far enough for me on a tight stage. I’m tall, and when I’m standing immediately in front of them the sound shoots into my knees, effectively cutting a lot of the volume I need to hear myself in a band situation. As a result I needed a more traditional floor monitor shape that could be positioned using multiple angles.

These units are not exactly cheap and the actual manufacturer really gives very little spec information on them. Would not buy something based on specs alone but certainly is somewhat helpful in understanding some sort of relationship to some other device in its class.
Somewhere I think I saw a frequency chart of them, along with the power specs, but I’m not at my computer.

The problem with specs is they’re so easily twisted, especially power ratings. The hi-fi industry tried to tame the amplifier industry into using common and consistent measurements but the manufacturers were afraid of losing sales because the average consumers don’t understand what is important to understand in the specs, so they abandoned or ignored the standardization effort. And, we see disconnects between ratings for various classes of amps, which is frustrating as heck. Those frustrations can’t be focused on REDSOUND though, all the manufacturers are to blame for the mess.

On another rant none of these modeling amps/speakers/cabs have a frequency response that is 'flat'. Your room isn't flat, your ears aren't flat and transducers and or cabinets are not flat. You are going to get the IR response that is to be influenced by everything that it flows thru. The FRFR thing is really more theory than actual reality. Kind of a rabbit hole. It is very interesting that we have really good modelers now (FM3 here) but have fits over how to get the sound out of them as was originally intended or recorded from the IR files. It goes back around to my original thought of how to find the thing that works for me.
Exactly, there are a number of issues. In addition, we get used to a particular sound and something different gets labeled as being bad, even though it might be more accurate or flatter. Without the equipment to measure and chart in a neutral/flat environment, people speak their opinions based on their preferences formed from their brain having grown accustomed to what their usual sound is.

Maybe hauling that Fender deluxe reverb around or similar wasn't so bad after all. At least I knew what it generally sounded like.
I do that also.

Sometimes a combo is a much better solution. They take up less space, they’re faster and easier to set up, and they’re lighter than a full modeling rig. And if you spend an equivalent amount on the combo as the modeler, it’ll kick some major ass sound-wise. I use a Toneking Imperial Mk II for my grab and go amp, and a Mesa Lonestar Special as an alternate, and they are spectacular sounding, but the modeler is so flexible and sounds so good I prefer it now. So, it gets used when I have a bit more space and the time to set up and tear down.

To fix the cab angle issue with the ELIS.8, I bought a pair of the EV PXM-12MP monitors. I think they are equally as clear and musical sounding, they’re a reasonable size and weight, and are more flexibly positioned. They don’t claim they’re FRFR, but they have built-in EQ curves and a recallable custom curve you can set, and the one of the curves is relatively flat. I think they’re also equipped with a more powerful amp, which, combined with their 12” coaxial speaker, can get really loud. I haven’t ever turned them full up but they’ll shake the stage if I want. And, they’re domestic, and should be available in local music stores where you can try them. And, of course you will hear people bitch about them too, but I have never been able to replicate the problems I’ve read people talk about.

Really excellent responses to my original post. Thanks to all. Would agree mostly with those comments. Have decided against the Red Sound monitors as they do not have a distributer here in the USA. Not interested in dealing with issues that then have to go back to Italy etc. etc. I play mostly at home now and have a decent recording setup. More or less thinking of the 2Ch or stereo aspect of using the FM3 and sometimes with a looper (Pigtronix Infinity orig). Great sounding looper with 2 Ch capability. My recording area is in a different room than the one I like to just practice in. Was thinking that the Red Sound speakers could work also as music playback monitors in that room but having read that they are not tuned for that purpose gave up on them. Will look more into a set of studio type active monitors in the 5-8" range for both the FM3 and general music playback. Also thinking later of building a speaker cab using the Celestion F12-x200 coaxial speaker somewhat along the lines of the spec cab that Celestion put out for that speaker. Would use one of my older studio amps to power or add a plate amp to the back of the cab. Will use that if I gig anywhere with the FM3 etc. Again thanks for all of your thoughts. It still goes that it is much different these days to choose the right equipment or instrument as the brick and mortar type store distributor is dying out and replaced by internet based suppliers and distributors.

Sounds familiar: Over the weekend I tried many of my QC presets, with strat, tele, semiacoustic, different acoustic guitars through the Elis.8. The emphasized upper mids are very obvious, the bass is very tight (or cut in the lower register), to my ears they are definitely not flat (in the sense of FRFR) sounding. Maybe this is exactly what others like and what is meant to be voiced for guitar. I had to use the EQ way more often with the Elis.8 than with the Blueamps Junior EX I compared it to side by side for many hours. Often I preferred the Elis sound for their punch and ability to cut through (but needed to dial some honky mids), then I jumped back to the Blueamps for sounding smooth and more „natural“, less EQing, but also less punch. Dammit, I have a hard time deciding between two great solutions... first world problem, I know ☺️
Just a short follow up: As much as I loved the Elis 8 stereo pair for their punch and amp in the room sound, I sold them and bought a Blueamps Junior Ex active stereo cab. I tested them side by side months ago, had a hard time to decide and went with the Elis 8 at first, because the sound pressure that came out of these small boxes won me over. After some months I realised I had to use the EQ on my modeller intensively to deal with the emphasised mids. And I did not like their sound for acoustic guitars because I could not dial in the shimmering highs I needed. Had to decide again because I liked the Elis. Then I ordered a Blueamps Junior Ex custom made for me with an active 3-way EQ built in which gave me another 9 db power and the chance to turn up the mids as I see fit. For my needs, this is it and for the first time I think I have a nearly perfect solution that covers a lot of (my) ground. The sound is excellent and very near FRFR.

Glad that you found your perfect speaker!
That’s the way to go, there is no right or wrong, or „The Perfekt Speaker“ that fits exactly what everyone needs.
I know the Blueamps, I tried two of them, great speakers.
Cheers
Sash

Can any one recommend a good FRFR with Bluetooth option for playing backing tracks from mobile directly.
The Xitone 12" Active wedge that comes with the Dayton amplifier has Bluetooth. I've never used it, but it's in there. It's a great FRFR.

Question for @Sashman or anyone else who owns an Elis8, when the cab is tilted back, what are the dimensions of the base that it sits on? I looked at the manual and didn't see those measurements. Looking to get an isolation pad for the speakers.

Question for @Sashman or anyone else who owns an Elis8, when the cab is tilted back, what are the dimensions of the base that it sits on? I looked at the manual and didn't see those measurements. Looking to get an isolation pad for the speakers.
I just had a quick look and it measures at 150mm from the angled part to the edge past the rubber feet. It sits back comfortably too. I hope that helps!

IMG_0138.jpeg

Really excellent responses to my original post. Thanks to all. Would agree mostly with those comments. Have decided against the Red Sound monitors as they do not have a distributer here in the USA. Not interested in dealing with issues that then have to go back to Italy etc. etc. I play mostly at home now and have a decent recording setup. More or less thinking of the 2Ch or stereo aspect of using the FM3 and sometimes with a looper (Pigtronix Infinity orig). Great sounding looper with 2 Ch capability. My recording area is in a different room than the one I like to just practice in. Was thinking that the Red Sound speakers could work also as music playback monitors in that room but having read that they are not tuned for that purpose gave up on them. Will look more into a set of studio type active monitors in the 5-8" range for both the FM3 and general music playback. Also thinking later of building a speaker cab using the Celestion F12-x200 coaxial speaker somewhat along the lines of the spec cab that Celestion put out for that speaker. Would use one of my older studio amps to power or add a plate amp to the back of the cab. Will use that if I gig anywhere with the FM3 etc. Again thanks for all of your thoughts. It still goes that it is much different these days to choose the right equipment or instrument as the brick and mortar type store distributor is dying out and replaced by internet based suppliers and distributors.
I have an F12-X200 in a cab built according to the Celestion design. Added a plate amp (MiniDSP PWR-ICE125) but can also use my Powerstage 170. I generally like it quite much, it even sounds great as a regular speaker. Have troubles though cutting through the mix when in rehearsal and with the plate amp added to the back a bit heavy and cumbersome to move around.
I'm wondering if the MF.10 actually would be an upgrade. It's 2 times the price of my Celestion cab (not counting my own working hours), but it's smaller and lighter and from what I read here sits good in a band mix. If I could be sure it's better I wouldn't mind spending the money.

Back
Top Bottom