Recto owners - Recto sims accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to take the long road in answering your question, if you don't mind, because I think it is a more complicated one than it might seem and this is probably a question that many looking at the Axe Fx might have...

Hopefully my answer only comes across as an effort to be thorough and also completely honest, which is my intent. Obviously, I own an Axe-Fx, and am writing here in the forum, so I very much like the product and appreciate the considerable efforts of its creator and all those that help to make it what it is. I also continue to use my real world amps for many situations, so I do not see the Axe as a total solution for all of my personal needs.

First, I'll say that I have lots of real world experience with Rectos. I currently own a modern 3 channel Dual Rec Solo head, two Recto Std 4x12's and two Recto 1x12's. I used to own a late 90's Dual Rec Trem-O-Verb head. I've played quite a number of the various Rectifier incarnations and a buddy of mine has a number of Recto heads (mostly 2 ch Dual Recto solo heads). I've done lots of A/B'ing between the various amps (all have their own particular sound... A Road King does not sound like a modern 3 ch Dual Rec Solo head which does not sound like a Roadster which does not sound like an older 2 ch solo head, etc).

Out of all the Recto type amps available, I purchased the modern 3 ch version. This particular amp has more top end fizz than older Rectos, which are a bit smoother. This can be a good or a bad thing, depending on taste and intent. I use my Recto as part of a multi-amp rig for my heaviest crunch tones, especially for my 7 string rhythm work in my prog metal band. Basically, da brootalz. :twisted:

For this purpose, the actual (real world) Recto kills. Took quite a while to properly dial, but the pay-off has been in spades. Good stuff. The older, 2ch Rectos are great here as well (as is the Single Recto). The newer ones sound a bit more aggressive, though, and the top end fizz (if dialed properly) can add clarity and definition to your sickest riffing. If you're looking for a lead tone, you will probably prefer the smoothness of the older heads. The Road King and Roadster are different, tonally. In a very quick nutshell, they are darker and rounder.

I bring up all of this because I think that there are a lot of notions of what a Dual Rectifier sounds like and not all of them are very close in sound. Most guitarists I know with a Dual Rectifier cannot get a good sound out of them. Some seem happily oblivious to this and some are hyper aware and blame the amps for this. The truth is that these amps are plenty capable of incredible sounds, BUT you really have to know how to dial them. You also have to be aware as to the differences of the various Rectifier type amps and which sound which way and the method for getting what you want out of that particular amp. Finally, it helps to understand a few different tips and tricks for getting the live tone you want as well as other tips and tricks for getting the recorded tone you want. The Boogie Board is a good place to go for info. All of this info will help you to dial in your Axe Fx Recto tones, as you'll want to approach replicating your Recto tones in the Axe in similar fashion, whether this means pushing the front end with a TS-808 or using multiband compression to your mic'd up tone to eliminate some problem spots.

So, with all that out of the way, and with the caveat that you know how to properly dial in a real world Recto for live use and for recording, then...

You can get some pretty good sounding Recto tones out of the Axe-Fx. For recording, with the right cab and mic choices and the right engineering chops, you will get some solid and very usable tones. Certain aspects are harder to dial in than others. Low end thump, mid range percussion, and top end clarity are a delicate balance to achieve, but I've been able to get about 85% there (which, in fairness, is far more than most folks with the real world amp can get on recordings without a good recording space, a lot of volume, and pro recording help). I'm sure that Cliff will continue to improve things and we'll get closer. He really doesn't seem to sleep, which is good for us. :D You'll notice things in terms of feel more so than just in terms of sound. More so with lead playing than rhythm. Etc. Basically, what you might expect.

In terms of live playing, I think that so much depends in terms of sound and feel on what you use to reproduce the sound of the Axe-Fx. A pro level PA with true full range reproduction is going to be a very different experience with the Axe than a pair of powered monitors. A lot of people wouldn't be comfortable with their actual amps off of stage and only hearing them through stage monitors and echoing back from FOH, so listening to the Axe-Fx in this way is going to feel uncomfortable for these people as well. Also, a lot of the sound that we associate with good live tone or good stage experience has to do with the interactivity between speakers and pickups. This is one aspect, IMHO, that the Axe-Fx doesn't yet have down. For me personally, nothing beats a real amp live. Period. However, I'm someone who has a strong connection with my amps live, though. I play my amps as much as my guitars. I fuss over every little aspect of my set-ups, can hear the difference between things that many others can't and completely obsess over things that wouldn't matter to others. If you are not this OCD, less empathetic with your amps, or someone who tends to play in situations where you are already compromising, such as having to have your volume strictly limited, having to use some sort of isolation methods, or having to use attenuators (many church bands, for example), the Axe may feel like a no compromise solution for you. Also, if you are willing to compromise a bit of the sound and feel for convenience, portability, flexibility, etc, the Axe-Fx is a good alternative for many. If you tour on smaller levels where you have to fly or drive without your rig and use what the promoter provides rather than your own rig, this is a great alternative. Etc. Etc.

That all said, if you are asking if the Axe-Fx is the exact same in terms of sound and feel as a real Recto or any other real amp... My own personal answer is no. Absolutely not.

If you are instead asking if this is a wise purchase for direct recording of Recto (and other tones)... Absolutely.

If you are asking if this is a good alternative to a real world Recto (or other amp)... For me, no. For you, it depends on certain factors (see above).

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
-Matt

thanks for that Matt
i'm bored at work so i slowly read your entire post :lol:

bit confused on this part:
"If you are instead asking if this is a wise purchase for direct recording of Recto (and other tones)... Absolutely.

If you are asking if this is a good alternative to a real world Recto (or other amp)... For me, no. For you, it depends on certain factors (see above).

You're saying you think the axe-fx works good for a recording recto tone but then saying it doesn't suit you live :?:

If you get a good recorded recto tone using the axe... wouldn't that sound just as great through a venue PA? :?

mainly said:
at low volume???

No, I said at *lower* volume. i.e with the master at about 11 O'clock or so, instead of at 2 O'clock - i.e. loud enough to be louder than the drummer. Which isn't quiet by any stretch of imagination.

saxxamafone said:
mainly said:
saxxamafone said:
have you compared the sound of a recto head mic'd versus the axe-fx direct?
that's where the true test lies

bolony.

unless your intention is just recording. the true test for me is the sound live.

what gives you more of a rush? more pleasure?

sitting in front of your pc recording through a pair of monitors? or playing live in front of screaming fans?

i think the latter

and for that the REAL dual recto stands alone.

Zen Guitar said:
That all said, if you are asking if the Axe-Fx is the exact same in terms of sound and feel as a real Recto or any other real amp... My own personal answer is no. Absolutely not.

SEE?

SEE??

another with real world recto experience, who said basicly the same thing i did.

thank you.

mainly said:
bolony.

unless your intention is just recording. the true test for me is the sound live.

sitting in front of your pc recording through a pair of monitors? or playing live in front of screaming fans?

i think the latter

No

I mean in a big venue, the crowd will hear your rig mic'd through the PA yes?

I'm saying, how does THAT sound compare between the real deal and the axe-fx?
The true test live is how well your rig mics up out the front... not how good it sounds and makes you feel on stage

I couldn't give a rats ass how it sounds through a guitar cab... i want to know what the FOH result is!

saxxamafone said:
mainly said:
bolony.

i think the latter

No

The true test live is how well your rig mics up out the front... not how good it sounds and makes you feel on stage

I couldn't give a rats ass how it sounds through a guitar cab... i want to know what the FOH result is!

YES-YES-YES - i know. and if it sounds great coming out of your cab, and you have a good soundman, with a PA that can really push, then it should sound the same out front. only much much bigger! of course your amp has to be loud. if your amp is loud enough the soundman will have all the signal he ever needs.

i dont know, i just dont think direct is the way to go for guitar. for bass i like it. but not guitar.

no one will ever convince me that digital is better/can equal analog, my ear can tell the difference.

as i sit at home i have a nice pair of hifi speakers with an ipod docking station and i play mp3s through it( now im talking high quality mp3's, 320 kbps). it sounds great. crystal clear. thumps.

then i go downstairs and i put on an old vinyl record from the 80's and play it through my valve stereo amp and tyler acoustics linbrook stereo speakers, and its a totally different sonic experience.

i think the same thing applies to live guitar music.

and i think there are a whole lot of people that agree with me.

^ cheers for that

of course there are many that agree with you

think i need to do some A/B-ing myself

Get my hands on a recto head and mic it, then see what i can come up with when using the axe

Hi again!

Sorry... Guess I'm in long answer mode tonight. :lol:

The quick answer to your question is that what ANYTHING sounds like through FOH is dependent upon the FOH engineer and the quality of the house PA. What you or I hear on stage is dependent upon the monitor engineer (and whatever monitor speaker you get) AND, if you are playing through a backline of real amps (or some mini PA for the Axe-Fx), your cabs. The only part that we typically have much control over is our own cabs. I know this from being both a musician and from working as a sound engineer. So, what works for you in terms of a live performance rig is going to be partially dependent upon what types of venues you play at (relating to their quality of engineers, PA, and love for your band) and partially dependent upon what your brought in backline can provide for you (whether this is in addition or in substitution to a good monitor sound). So, you can have a great tone dialed in your Axe-Fx and the FOH engineer can mangle it while the monitor engineer mangles it worse and puts it 18dB below the tamberine player in your monitor. So, unless you have a solid backline solution for it, you are SHAFTED. :lol: Of course, this could happen to you with a real amp, but hopefully your real amp is enough to get you your tone at a volume you can work with for the night.

What you might want to consider, though, is what you require in a recorded tone versus what you require in a live tone. Sounds like a stupid question at first, because what works on a recording SHOULD work live, right? Well,... Maybe. Maybe not. It depends.

In my opinion, a direct recording solution and a live performance solution are very different things.

For instance (when tracking Recto type heavy rhythm tones as an example), I will often double or even quadruple track my guitars. I also have the ability to control panning in a recording, but most live situations dictate that I present my tone as mono. Sometimes stereo is a possibility, but only through FOH not monitors. In either case, it is, of course, always a single performance as I am the only guitarist in both of my bands. So, if FOH is stereo, I can add a 7ms delay to heavy tones for some spread, but I don't like the way this sounds in a recording, because of the comb filtering due to the phase relationship between left and right. In a recording, I will often cut a lot of low end out of my guitars so as not to fight with the bass guitar. Live, however, I will often leave some of this in so that I can feel it punch me when I play, knowing that the engineer will roll it off with a high pass at the board for FOH. I can choose to remove all ambience while direct recording or create whatever ambience is desirable. Playing live, each venue adds its own ambience to the sound. Because of these factors, how I create my tones is going to be different when recording in this fashion rather than playing live. My desire in either case is that the resultant sound is similar, just BIGGER on record (because it can be).

What this all adds up to is that I, personally, have different requirements for what I need to hear and feel with regards to recording or live.

Additionally, in a recording environment, what is most important is the sound that hits the disk. If needed or desired, I can split my signal so that what is recorded and what I hear in my headphones is different in terms of sound, feel, or even its source. I can also track through a real amp and reamp through the Axe-Fx. In a live situation, what is most important is split between sound AND feel. Apart from having the monitor engineer EQ or process my sound different from the FOH engineer, my sound is usually very similar in my monitor and through FOH. What augments this, and where I retain most control, is my backline of real amps.

As talked about in the beginning of my post, control is a key factor as well. How many times I've gotten a bad monitor mix, my guitar tone has been mangled by a bad sound engineer, etc is probably beyond counting. Having a real amp at my back gives me the ability to reference this for my stage sound, if necessary. If intending to do this with the Axe, I would need to bring along a FFFR PA set-up just for my own backline. In my experience, anything sufficient would be as big if not bigger than a typical guitar amp set-up.

How my amp reacts to my playing at stage volume (interaction between guitar and speakers) is important to me. The interaction between any direct recording source (including the Axe) and my guitar, even at volume, is different IMHO. Apart from the quality of the interaction, there is also the case of certain types of interactions being present at all. For instance, if you use IEM's and run direct, your tone does not change with regards to your physical location on stage. Even with IEM's, if you have an actual backline, your tone is dynamics (resonant feedback pitch, etc) with regards to where you're standing.

So, what might work well for me for direct recording, might not work well for me in a live situation, and vice versa.

Also, it's helpful to remember that, at least for me, direct recording itself is a compromise. If I had a genie in a bottle, I'd of course wish for 24/7 access to a great sounding tracking room with great real world amps, mics, pre's, etc and a really great engineer rather than direct recording. This isn't reality for me (and for most) and a direct recording solution like the Axe-Fx is a huge blessing. It allows me to work, at a professional level, in a very convenient and consistent way. I can keep the tracks I make with the Axe-Fx for a commercial release, which is something I never would have considered with previous options. And, based on Cliff's excellent track record for innovation and improvement, I'm confident it will continue to get better and better. :)

Playing live, though, I usually don't have to make the same compromises, so I can play through my really great amps at healthy volumes and feel the love. ;)

So, depending on what you want/need, the Axe-Fx can be a good thing (or not) for your live performance requirements. Lots of folks in this forum use theirs live and love it. Many others (like me) continue to play live through their tube amps. That said, I think that just about everyone here is going to agree that for direct recording, it is a great solution.

Hope this helps!
-Matt

saxxamafone said:
mainly said:
bolony.

i think the latter

No

Don't you know some people don't care about the audience and are in it for themselves only? Apparently that means airconditioning your legs and causing hearing damage to the front rows. For me the exhileration is in the reaction of the audience and the execution of the music. Not the dBs.

My 2ch Dual Recto was so loud it could kill small animals. Could never fathom the necessity of the triple rectifier model.

But apparently it wasn't a real world amp. Funny. It had the leather and the black knobs and the glowing things on the inside. Real heavy too, so was the matching 4x12 with the V30s.

Then again I'm glad to be rid of it and that makes me unfit to answer this question. Please consider my sincere apologies.

to answer the mic question..... i dont think it sounds quite as good as the real deal...but for me it was about pro's and con's... i have had alot of failures live using my recto's...and they never sounded consistant, every venue was different.. and times have changed too... i cant crank a real recto in 90% of the places i play these days.. and thats where the axe out shines IMO.. and i couldnt cover alot of sonic territory with the recto..for me these days versatility far out weighs one awesome sound....playing live everybody thought the recto was awesome,,and now everybody thinks the axe is awesome,,go figure.

"no one will ever convince me that digital is better/can equal analog, my ear can tell the difference."

Maybe, but I doubt it.

If a pro recording engineer made 10 clips of a mic'd recto and let you hear them 1 time each, and assuming you agreed that, "Yep all 10 sound like I think they should sound," and then one of the skilled Axe-FX owners around here took those 10 clips and then dialed them in, and then made his own 10 clips to try and match them, then randomly played back the digital vs. analog clips for you, my guess is that you couldn't pick-out the "Real" clips a statistically significant number of times.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an analog junkie - but I still feel you'd fail at this test. I'd put money on it... likely a sound investment :)

Dutch said:
Don't you know some people don't care about the audience and are in it for themselves only? Apparently that means airconditioning your legs and causing hearing damage to the front rows. For me the exhileration is in the reaction of the audience and the execution of the music. Not the dBs.

:lol: Well said. What I love about the Axe is I don't feel like I need to compromise the on-stage feel to get a great FOH tone. With my Verve 12ma FRFR [350W is more than enough for me], I can get plenty loud on stage (granted, I don't play stadiums!), get the "feel" right - get a nice interaction between the guitar and the speakers going - basically not feel like I'm compromising ...

Add to the that the fact that I was tired of carting around my RoadKing half-stack, and I'm plenty happy.

I guess that means that I have cloth ears too and obviously my RoadKing isn't a real-world amplifier. Good thing I'm not playing it much any more. ;)

VintageGearGuy said:
"no one will ever convince me that digital is better/can equal analog, my ear can tell the difference."

Maybe, but I doubt it.

If a pro recording engineer made 10 clips of a mic'd recto and let you hear them 1 time each, and assuming you agreed that, "Yep all 10 sound like I think they should sound," and then one of the skilled Axe-FX owners around here took those 10 clips and then dialed them in, and then made his own 10 clips to try and match them, then randomly played back the digital vs. analog clips for you, my guess is that you couldn't pick-out the "Real" clips a statistically significant number of times.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an analog junkie - but I still feel you'd fail at this test. I'd put money on it... likely a sound investment :)

i wont argue too much on that point. yes the recording of the real amp vs the recording of the axe will be very comparable. in terms of quality.

BUT,

a very BIG BUT,

i believe alot of what we hear from a tube amp, the analog tube magic, just cant be captured by a "DIGITAL" recording. im assumong your talking about listening to a digital source...

especially if your listening to both recordings back from a digital source.(cd player/computer)

see.... because youve conveted the sound to digital.

thats the thing, unless you can record both sources with analog equipment, and make an analog vinyl record, then your still comparing digital to digital. of course youd probably have to record the axe using a mic through a cab, just like the tube amp.

are you getting where im coming from?
once you convert the real recto signal to digital , you just lost alot of what makes it what it is.

i own a home hifi stereo system with a tube stereo amp , and turn table. when i listen to music , the sound im listening too at no point has ever been converted to digital. its been converted, yes, from mechanical to electrical, and back and forth again ,etc, but digital never enters into the picture. and i can hear the difference from that to a cd. its like night and day.

im not saying digital systems couldnt sound good, but it would have to be a super high end cd player with very high end converters, etc to compare.

mainly said:

thats the thing, unless you can record both sources with analog equipment, and make an analog vinyl record, then your still comparing digital to digital. of course youd probably have to record the axe using a mic through a cab, just like the tube amp.

Out of curiosity, do you own an Axe-FX? I'm assuming you don't based on your statements, since you're essentially saying you don't want to ever convert your signal chain to a digital signal.

Are you familiar with the Nyquist theorem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist%E2 ... ng_theorem), and the auditory range of the human ear (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... rsens.html)?

I'll summarize the science for you: A signal sampled at 44.1 KHz or higher, with a sufficiently high quantization rate (24 bits is more than enough) can be used to perfectly create the an analog signal that contains up to 22 KHz (the highest frequency a human ear can hear). Guitar amps aren't even full-range devices (i.e. they produce little if any sound at the upper range of human hearing - 22 KHz). Yes, that depends on good electronics for A/D and D/A conversion (and the internal signal chain) and that's part of what makes the Axe-FX unique in the digital modeling field - its components are all extremely high quality.

I owned a Road King II a few years ago and I thought that through a tube power amp and cab, the Axe-FX simulation (it was Recto 1 I was using I think) was very very close to the feel of the real thing. It has that low end "sag" or "mush" that happens on the real thing when you play on the lower strings, which is something no other recto model I've tried had. Is it 100% identical to the real one? Probably not. Does it even matter? Probably not. ;)

"thats the thing, unless you can record both sources with analog equipment, and make an analog vinyl record, then your still comparing digital to digital. of course youd probably have to record the axe using a mic through a cab, just like the tube amp.

are you getting where im coming from?"

--------------------------

Yep I get where you're coming from, I know all about that stuff too... I enjoy my vinyl and have an analog pedalboard that rivals any in the world. However, if a skilled Axe-FX user dialed-in these tones and recorded them via a FRFR system and you made a few vinyl records of that as well as the real recto, I'd still bet a paycheck you couldn't pick them out. Nothing against you personally of course. I just feel a skilled Axe-FX user can match the tones enough to fool, well, anyone. In just don't believe you'd be able to pick-out the digital vs. analog clips a statistically signifiant number of times in a double blind experiment, done properly of course.

Maybe I'm wrong... :) We'll probably never know. I'd like to do the test though, I'm pretty certain I'd win some cash on the bet. Better chances than the darn stock market!

mainly said:
i believe alot of what we hear from a tube amp, the analog tube magic, just cant be captured by a "DIGITAL" recording.

There's no such thing as magic.

mainly said:

are you getting where im coming from?
once you convert the real recto signal to digital , you just lost alot of what makes it what it is.

i own a home hifi stereo system with a tube stereo amp , and turn table. when i listen to music , the sound im listening too at no point has ever been converted to digital. its been converted, yes, from mechanical to electrical, and back and forth again ,etc, but digital never enters into the picture. and i can hear the difference from that to a cd. its like night and day.

im not saying digital systems couldnt sound good, but it would have to be a super high end cd player with very high end converters, etc to compare.

You really don't have any idea what you're talking about.

A digital recording of sufficient quality (well within the capabilities of current technology) is undetectable by the human ear. That is to say, if I set up an analog microphone in one room (which contains a guitar player and a Mesa amp) and put you in another room listening to analog speakers or headphones, I can switch between the live sound picked up by the microphone and a digital recording made earlier with the same microphone and you will not be able to tell the difference.

The fact that you can hear a difference between your analog stereo system and a CD just means that you're able to hear the imperfections (noise, distortion, etc.) introduced by your analog components, which are not perfectly transparent. You may like that lack of transparency, but there's nothing special about being able to hear it.

Whether or not the Axe is able to accurately simulate the sound of analog circuitry is a completely different issue; there's really no point in continuing the analog vs digital debate, since you don't seem to understand the concepts involved. At this point you're just trolling, and people should save their energy for responding to comments from people who either own an Axe or are seriously interested in getting one. Since it's that "evil digital", it can't possibly be of much interest to you.

chase said:
The fact that you can hear a difference between your analog stereo system and a CD just means that you're able to hear the imperfections (noise, distortion, etc.) introduced by your analog components, which are not perfectly transparent. You may like that lack of transparency, but there's nothing special about being able to hear it.

I can hear it too, especially running just the MP-1 & 2/90/2 together (similar enough...it's all analog)...yet I couldn't agree more with you on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom