Rectifier power amp

indeloon85

Inspired
Hey guys, quick question.

does anyone know if the "Vacuum tube or Silicon Diode" switch was modeled, and the "bold/spongy" switch? I remember these switches having a significant difference in the response/tone/feel of the amp. And if they were, curious how these may be adjusted. Thanks!

Adjust the Sag parameter in the amp block to change rectifier types. I think the values Cliff gave were about 4 for silicon diode and about 6.0 for tube. Spongy and Bold changes the power supply voltage in the amp. It functions the same as tweed power and full power in other Boogie amps. Use the Variac parameter to simulate this. Bold is full 110 volts (100%) and Spongy is about 90 volts (82%).

Adjust the Sag parameter in the amp block to change rectifier types. I think the values Cliff gave were about 4 for silicon diode and about 6.0 for tube. Spongy and Bold changes the power supply voltage in the amp. It functions the same as tweed power and full power in other Boogie amps. Use the Variac parameter to simulate this. Bold is full 110 volts (100%) and Spongy is about 90 volts (82%).

Oh awesome!! Thank you for the heads up!

Amazing post ... I must have missed Cliff saying this somewhere!

"Spongy and Bold changes the power supply voltage in the amp. It functions the same as tweed power and full power in other Boogie amps. "

I did not know that and I have an early 90's 2 chan Triple Recto.

I LOVE this forum.....

Which 'Sag' are we talking about? Is it 'Supply Sag' on the 'Dynamics' page? Because that defaults to 6 for me. So if Diodes is 2 and Tube is 4, why would it default to 6?

Also as a sidebar, I've kind of moved away from rectos now, but I loaded up my old recto preset, changed the sag from 6 to 4, and what a difference! The attack is a lot nicer now, imo.

Which 'Sag' are we talking about? Is it 'Supply Sag' on the 'Dynamics' page? Because that defaults to 6 for me. So if Diodes is 2 and Tube is 4, why would it default to 6?

Also as a sidebar, I've kind of moved away from rectos now, but I loaded up my old recto preset, changed the sag from 6 to 4, and what a difference! The attack is a lot nicer now, imo.

I believe the Supply Sag is what we're talking about. Im mistaken then in saying 4. I played it last night and thought it defaulted to that. Definitely weird if the correct values would be 2 or 4.

Yes, it's the Supply Sag parameter on the Dynamics page. The same parameter is also called Mains Imp. (SAG) on the Advanced page. I did a bit of digging through old threads and the values from Cliff seem to be 2 for silicon diodes and 4 to 6 for tube rectifiers. He also said that higher master volume settings will make the virtual power supply sag more as well. Don't forget that setting the sag parameter to 0 turns power amp modeling off, so don't go too low if you are looking for a tighter sound.

In just sitting with the rectifier model at 2 sag instead of 4 sag, I feel made the amp so much better. It gave it the slight tightness that I felt was lacking, even when doing the low cut and LF resonance decrease. I've owned and played rectifiers for a long time and I know they could feel a bit tighter, and simply doing this definitely did the trick. Thanks everyone who contributed to this article! Huge Help!

In just sitting with the rectifier model at 2 sag instead of 4 sag, I feel made the amp so much better. It gave it the slight tightness that I felt was lacking, even when doing the low cut and LF resonance decrease. I've owned and played rectifiers for a long time and I know they could feel a bit tighter, and simply doing this definitely did the trick. Thanks everyone who contributed to this article! Huge Help!

Of course, rectifying with silicon diodes gives you a tighter response: i generally use it for rhythm patches, then simulating tube rectification (i found that around 4-4.5 is similar to what my old road king sounded) for single-note leads gives you a warmer, softer feel.

Of course, rectifying with silicon diodes gives you a tighter response: i generally use it for rhythm patches, then simulating tube rectification (i found that around 4-4.5 is similar to what my old road king sounded) for single-note leads gives you a warmer, softer feel.

Good idea!! This thread I think definitely seems to have made the rectifier models more versatile for me. Thank u for all the tips!

So then I'm curious (I don't know why I just this myself haha) do you guys usually do the same to the Mark series? Since the Mark V has the same silicon diode and tube rectifier features?

I'd love to get some confirmation on this information after the latest firmware release. There have been so many changes to the power amp modeling that I'm not sure where we stand at the moment....

This is definitely stuff that I'm interested in as I'm trying to get the amp block to match the real thing at the studio right now.

I'd love to get some confirmation on this information after the latest firmware release. There have been so many changes to the power amp modeling that I'm not sure where we stand at the moment....

This is definitely stuff that I'm interested in as I'm trying to get the amp block to match the real thing at the studio right now.

Just curious, are you trying to match it to the a rectifier or the Mark series?

So I just noticed also that the Recto1 vs Recto2 sag are different (Recto1=4, Recto2=6). Both of them in the modern mode set around 2, really react like the silicon. Much more preferred than the default values IMO. I do also boost the MV to 5.75 so im getting a little more mid-focus, plus using the low cut, but it really makes this amp more usable. Or at least the way I used to use them. Woo!

Back
Top Bottom