Recreating Presets

slinky005

Power User
Recently started to port over the presets from my II using Fractool.
App is a huge timesaver.
The daunting part of this is trying to get the imported version to sound as close as possible to the original version as possible.
I am comparing the different pages for the amp block from the II to the III.
I am coming from Q7.02 on my II.
The dynamics page for example is really different.
I'm not sure if the difference would be that huge had I come from the most recent version of Quantum.
In my situation I'm finding some patches translate pretty much exactly and others, amp settings sound quite different.
I'm still wrapping my brain around the best way to do this.

I'm curious as to others and how they are going about recreating their tones.

Last edited:
I think there are issues when trying to port over II presets that are on firmware before 10. May want to do a full backup of the II then upgrade to 10 and check your presets. Then try and transfer to the III. If you don't rest amp blocks after the 10 update they should stay the same as they were in 7. As far as the dynamics page the Character Frequency/Q/Amount settings are now the top row in the III's Amp block input EQ. Don't know where Pick Attack went tho. I have been porting II XL+ to III for a couple days now and everything is really close.

Last edited:
Very helpful, thx.
I think going to Q.10 is an extra step that won't help.
I believe going from Q7 to Q10 would require tweaking at that stage.
I am assuming any tweaking Im doing on the III would be equivalent.

In my original II presets, I had some of them with two cabs assigned in parallel.
Now I don't need to use two cab blocks in the III.
If I mute the 2nd cab (in bypass mode) I can hear the one cab.
As soon as I delete the 2nd cab the tone changes completely.
Not sure why this is happening.

This is what I'm doing. I have an A/B pedal and plug into both the II and the III. I have both connected to the pc and both axe edits open. I manually copy the amp and cab settings. It really doesn't take long. than I try to tweak the III while switching back and forth which can take a fair amount of time.

Sheky, dumb question for you.... I like how you have both connected with both axe edits - great idea! When you say "manually copy the amp and cab settings," are you simply using the 'copy block' function in II, and pasting into III?? (hoping so as that sounds painless)

This subject gives me a headache. I have about 15 presets I need for my regular cover band gig. When I got the Ax III, I was in a panic until I realized, there's only 15 presets. How bad could it be if I just rebuilt each preset from scratch? Turns out to be the best thing I could have done. Of my 15 presets, about 11 of them are ones I built myself in the Ax8. For those, the process of rebuilding them gave me a chance to take a fresh look at each amp, cabs, effects, etc. In every case, I was able to not only rebuild the preset but really improve the tone, add effects and make them more useful. I purchased the remaining 4 from @Moke for specific tunes so I have to wait for Moke to make the Ax III versions :). My suggestion for those with a smaller number of presets is rebuild them. I learned so much about the unit by going this route. I know some folks have way too many presets and saved blocks, etc.. For those folks I say best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom