Recording with an interface (USB driver issues): Questions.

As a result of the glitchy issue with the USB 2.0 connection on my iMac, (odd pops and crackles that get recorded and turn into blank spaces in sound when bounced), I am going to have to connect my Axe-II through my Saffire Pro 14 for any serious projects. That is, at least, until Apple decides to get off of their collective asses and fix the issue (we shall see).

So, I know I have to send my balanced l+r outputs to my Saffire. Using the front inputs is probably a bad idea, as I will have to control the input volume to Logic with the gain knobs on the front, which is inaccurate and a little nit-picky. I don't really want to accidentally record all my left channel .25-.5 decibels louder than the other. I am going to be using inputs 3+4 as line inputs because I (think, at least) I can then control my input volume through my Axe alone (set it to -10 on level and be happy). My questions, in no particular order (it's about to get seriously newb up in here):

1. Obviously, each channel only sends the channel information from one side of the Axe-II. In order to record a stereo file, I will have to run two separate tracks, yes? Is there any other way? Are stereo effects seamless this way?

2. If I want to do EQ/compression/etc. on said stereo track, do I have to either bus to a plug-in track, or run multiple instances of a plug-in? Is there any other way I'm not understanding?

3. If I'm recording mono, double-tracked guitars (one hard left, one hard right, for example) should I record both inputs and pan them left, record two inputs again on separate tracks and pan them right Or should I simply record input 3 panned hard left, and then record input 4 panned hard right?

4. Am I making this harder than it has to be?

Sorry if these are simple questions, but I'm just trying to figure out how to get around this problem. I want to do a quality mix in the near future, and the interface is my only viable option until the USB bugs are worked out.

Alexander McQueen shoes designer discount handbags, Hermes handbags, Prada bags, how attractive! Gorgeous, I think you have the same felling that every girl should dress herself well and go shopping is really a big hobby. When you go out, are you annoyed that you have no suitable designer handbags to match your dress? Even though you have many bags in your fashion stock, you can’t choose one. Don’t be depressed because of such a small problem. You can go hunting for a classic designer discount handbags from online shop discount handbags.

designer handbags, designer handbags,discount handbags,designer discount handbags--designerdiscounthandbags.net, discount handbags, designer discount handbags

1. In order to record a stereo file, I will have to run two separate tracks, yes? Is there any other way? Are stereo effects seamless this way?
Or you could record a single stereo track. Either way, stereo is two audio channels of information, whether you treat them as one stereo track or two mono tracks panned left and right.

2. If I want to do EQ/compression/etc. on said stereo track, do I have to either bus to a plug-in track, or run multiple instances of a plug-in? Is there any other way I'm not understanding?
You could use a stereo EQ/compression/whatever plugin.

3. If I'm recording mono, double-tracked guitars (one hard left, one hard right, for example) should I record both inputs and pan them left, record two inputs again on separate tracks and pan them right Or should I simply record input 3 panned hard left, and then record input 4 panned hard right?
If you're recording a truly mono guitar track, both left and right outputs will be identical. You only need one mono track per guitar. Pan them in your DAW the way you want them to sit in the mix.

4. Am I making this harder than it has to be?
Could be. Start recording. Experiment. You'll quickly figure out what works, and why it works that way.

Your Sapphire interface is just duplicating the interface that's built into the Axe-FX. Think about that while you're experimenting, and you'll figure out how it all fits together.

Back
Top Bottom