Recording video

gearjunkie

Inspired
what's everyone using to record vids here? I see a lot of really good quality videos posted on the forums. I've tried an old camcorder, iPhone, and 2 different webcams and they all suck.

I am using a Canon 70D with a Metric Halo ULN -8 for my in studio performance and HD lesson videos. I just picked up a Zoom H6 which is great, and will allow me to record gigs and concerts pretty easily. Very happy with the setup. Also secured some great softbox lighting which was very affordable and reliable.

and try to record your audio directly into your computer (room mics don't really show the great quality of the sound of any gear, IMO)

What I use:

Video : Hero 4 Silver
Guitar Audio : Reaper + AxeFX + Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40
Voice Audio : Mackie mixer/Lavalier mic into separate track in Reaper
Video Software : Sony Vegas 12 (x64) to sync, edit, and render.

It doesn't take all this to do good videos though. As long as you can record to computer and sync it with video you'll be golden.

Ex: iPhone (or Android) for video + AxeFX via USB for audio + <video editing software of choice to sync the two> = more than sufficient to produce quality videos.

Good luck with it. It's always cool to see new video content produced by AxeFX users.

Last edited:
What I use:

Video : Hero 4 Silver
Guitar Audio : Reaper + AxeFX + Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40
Voice Audio : Mackie mixer/Lavalier mic into separate track in Reaper
Video Software : Sony Vegas 12 (x64) to sync, edit, and render.

It doesn't take all this to do good videos though. As long as you can record to computer and sync it with video you'll be golden.

Ex: iPhone (or Android) for video + AxeFX via USB for audio + <video editing software of choice to sync the two> = more than sufficient to produce quality videos.

Good luck with it. It's always cool to see new video content produced by AxeFX users.

Video capture is the only issue. I use Cubase 6.5 and a MOTU interface for audio. I've been using PowerDirector 12 for video editing. It's alright I'm still learning it. Doesn't seem to be very easy to sync video & audio so far (but that may be my ineptitude with it). My only issue is getting good clear video. I don't have the "budget" for really high end thousands of dollar camcorders. But I had been wondering about those GoPro rigs for awhile. I have an iPhone 4S and I don't find the video very good on the one screen and the other side that's "better" I have no way to monitor the capture as I'm recording it.

Video capture is the only issue. I use Cubase 6.5 and a MOTU interface for audio. I've been using PowerDirector 12 for video editing. It's alright I'm still learning it. Doesn't seem to be very easy to sync video & audio so far (but that may be my ineptitude with it). My only issue is getting good clear video. I don't have the "budget" for really high end thousands of dollar camcorders. But I had been wondering about those GoPro rigs for awhile. I have an iPhone 4S and I don't find the video very good on the one screen and the other side that's "better" I have no way to monitor the capture as I'm recording it.
Yeah, iPhone 4s won't give you HD and the front facing camera is fairly poor quality... only really suitable for face timing...
The GoPro's are great quality and the app will allow you to monitor what you are seeing... a camera such as this will serve many situations beyond this type of video, very handy to have at gigs or taking away on vacations etc.. If this is within your budget i think it's a worthy candidate.

One question I have to add to the fold here for anyone using the H6. Would anyone be able to shed some light on why I am hearing a more natural acoustic sound of my guitar recorded through some very high end 3 way acoustic instrument speakers with the the Zoom H6 rather than with my Shure KSM 137 which is a pretty high end condenser for guitars and guitar cabinets. I would expect the latter Shure to win out, but the acoustic sound that is reinforced by the speakers is not being replicated by the Shure but sounds great with the Zoom H6> I am perplexed I wouldn't think that just the xy two mic would make a difference.

Mid-priced stereo mic vs mid-priced mono mic with a different pattern. Different placement? Capturing a three-way full-range speaker is vastly different from close-milking a guitar cab. Anyway, when recording, you listen to results, not to price. :)

A Lamborghini can cost a quarter of a million dollars or more, but it's a lousy way to take your family on a vacation.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, good point. The Shure is a cardioid pattern as is the Zoom XY stereo mic capsule which is curious that they sound so different on the acoustic cabinet.

Here is the Zoom info on the capsule for those who may be interested.

"The capsule adds two matched high-quality unidirectional microphones to your H6 or H5. This kind of microphone is most sensitive to signal coming from directly in front, and less sensitive to signal coming from behind or from the sides; in technical terms, they are said to utilize a cardioid polar pattern.

Playing back stereo X/Y tracks in mono results in a fuller sound than you would get with one microphone, but if mono compatibility is critical (for example, in television production), the Mid-Side (MS) mic technique can be a better choice."

I second a setup similar to flysold's. A decent DSLR can go a long, long way. Even if you didn't go for the more expensive Canon 5D Mark III, something used like a Canon T3i would do excellently with plenty of room to grow with it. In photography, we sometimes say "You date the body, but marry the lens". Basically, investing in good glass will make a much bigger impact than the camera body itself will and you'll keep the good lenses over the years while eventually upgrading bodies. And of course, lighting (and composition) are paramount, so also investing in a cheap starter softbox lighting setup from Amazon will take your professionalism a step further, too. You could have a whole new setup for well under a grand these days and shoot excellent images.

Canon Rebel
Canon Rebel
Canon Rebel

Better than any video camcorder under $2000

You can get a higher end Canon with a full frame sensor- but I think for most cases you'd be fine with like a T3i, T6i etc- and You could get two for the price of a 5D or whatever.

I have a T3 and a T4i

I want to sell them both and get two T6i's

Canon Rebel
Canon Rebel
Canon Rebel

Better than any video camcorder under $2000

You can get a higher end Canon with a full frame sensor- but I think for most cases you'd be fine with like a T3i, T6i etc- and You could get two for the price of a 5D or whatever.

I have a T3 and a T4i

I want to sell them both and get two T6i's
I use the 5Dmkiii (and I have a couple of larger Sony broadcast quality NX Cams) for most stuff these days but also have a Canon T4 (650D) which is excellent providing you use a reasonable lens... I've recorded commercial promos with it and a Canon 35mm 1.4 Lens... really stunning footage.

Back
Top Bottom