Recording using S/PDIF

Gave up on the 6i6 SPDIF connection and returned it for a 2i4 and never looked back.

I couldn't hear an audible difference between the digital and xlr inputs.

The 2i4 is just so much easier to use when just practicing and listening to audio from the web plus it doesnt require me to keep resetting the clock value on the device so that it could communicate with the AX8 and logic.

"As stated (I believe by Cliff himself) most pros record Axe-FX via balanced XLRs. That's wha I do so I can change sample rates , etc. with no worries and manage levels simply.

If you always record at 48 kHz.and have consisten level settings from your interface then spdif may be for you. But don't sweat using the XLRs. Just pretend it's a Shure SM 57 plugged into a console and placed on a cabinet."

I like what I read here.... I did quick comparison and XLRs indeed give me "warm" sound... not to mention there's always an option of putting nice mic preamp right before interface. Besides, perfection has tendency to appear artificial on some occasions :)

Thanks.
Anyone using the SPDIF for recording successfully ?

Yes. SPDIF is so easy for the home studio, or on a laptop. Have a SPDIF cable connected, the DAW configured and hit record. No setup hassles or any need to tweak AX8 presets or how the AX8 analog outputs are routed to monitors.

XLRs record great, and are more convenient if you're recording live, or in a studio situation where the whole band is patched to the board/interface.

I use SPDIF into my audio interface for rehearsal at home. It lets me play songs out the speakers and mix the guitar to the same level and is very very convenient. AS long as hte interface can go to 48K - you're all set.

Back
Top Bottom