Recording using S/PDIF

Dan Hill

So I've been looking around and it seems that if I have my AX8 connected to my Scarlett 6i6 via S/PDIF it won't transmit audio to Garage Band. I believe it's because the AX8's sample rate is 48khz and GB is locked at 44.1.

So the question is do I upgrade GB to Logic Pro X? Before I drop the dough has anyone dealt with this? With some basic searches I couldn't find the info I was looking for.

Logic has a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be familiar with a DAW that's used around the world in studios.

Your other options are to use an analog connection (AX8 Output 1 to the analog inputs on the 6i6) with GarageBand or to find a cheaper DAW if you aren't excited about the $199 cost for Logic. Maybe Reaper?

Are you choosing the correct inputs?
spdif = input 5 and 6 I believe, not in front of my computer right now

Did you check in the focusrite software that the signal is coming in?

Only tried logic though, works fine there with same setup

So I've been looking around and it seems that if I have my AX8 connected to my Scarlett 6i6 via S/PDIF it won't transmit audio to Garage Band. I believe it's because the AX8's sample rate is 48khz and GB is locked at 44.1.

So the question is do I upgrade GB to Logic Pro X? Before I drop the dough has anyone dealt with this? With some basic searches I couldn't find the info I was looking for.

Logic has been great for me. Its got a complete array of pro quality plugins and midi instruments to cover everything from tracking to mastering, soundtrack mixing, a workable score editor, and the pitch and time flex tools are close to cutting edge. Now it's even got Alchemy, my favorite synth included. Yes, there are likely some boutique plugins you may eventually want to add: but nothing lacking to keep you from finishing a project to a high standard.

Specifically what I've done and works: I set up a 24/48k session in Logic: I can run the AX8 with a Coax RCA to optical S/PDIF converter into the iMac as an aggregate device with a UAD Apollo Twin (interface), or I can run it into the S/PDIF in on the Apollo, when that's not hooked up via ADAT to an 8X preamp. Or, record the AX8 analog outs line in on the Apollo or the XR18 (the live recording rig): But, hey, this is guitar (not a symphony orchestra) we're recording, here: My moving two inches to the left and picking up a tad more hum on the pickups probably degrades the signal 100x more than extra AD/DA signal conversion.

IME, Feature limited software like Garageband, or high maintenance DAWs like Protools that require deep pockets and, IMO, extensive tech support, to keep it running after updating are poor choices for project studio musicians that want to put as much of their effort into the actual music as possible.

Garageband is designed around its 44.1 sample library. The show stopper is that being only 44.1: the OS has to convert incoming audio from 48 to 44.1 on the fly (and only if you can use the optical S/PDIF on the Mac) which induces too much latency for software monitoring: Since most external interfaces don't do sample rate conversion - one would have to add a Behringer SRC2496 or the like to the external interface. Logic on the other hand: can be set to whatever sample rate is required for the the incoming audio. If 44.1 loops are desired for the session, those used are converted offline and saved at 48k.

Last edited:
Please forgive me for asking something this stupid but how do i record with the ax-8 and a prosonus $100 device. I don't believe it even has spdif. Do i just use the 2 inputs on the front? Do i use 1 input? Where does it go on the AX-8 too

Correct. If the interface does not have a S/PDIF connection (usually found on the back of interfaces) then you would simply connect the main outputs of the AX8 to the main inputs of the interface either with standard 1/4" instrument cables or you could use XLR's if the interface has them.

Well Logic Pro works great with the Scarlett 6i6 using the SPDIF input with the AX8. I had to learn some things through trial by error but it seems to be working great now.

Thanks Dan, so i would plug into the ax-8 like normal and use the out (which currently in is my EV PA Speaker) to one of the inputs inn the front of the presonus....is that right?

Thanks a bunch, i just bought a presonus bundle and trying recording for the 2nd time alone....last time was a waste and i didn't realize the learning curve. This time i'm going to try to go all in. Wish me luck, lol......cheers Dan

Ok. I got one other question.

I'm noticing a pretty big difference in signal strength between xlr and SPDIF.

The SPDIF signal is significantly weaker. I can't figure what to attribute this too.

I have run the SPDIF and xlr at the same time into my 6i6. Using the focusrite mixer software it's easy to see that the signal meters are confirming what I'm hearing. I have the input gain for the xlr on the interface turned all the way counter clockwise (0). There isn't a gain or trim feature for the SPDIF that I can find.

SPDIF is digital end-to-end so there usually isn't a gain control. Some devices provide a digital input trim but it's redundant with the output trim of the device you're sending from (in this case, the AX8). Turn the AX8 Output knob up and watch that SPDIF meter for a true representation of the levels coming out of the AX8. If the analog inputs are hotter, it's because you're adding gain with the analog input preamp.

Are the levels closer when you engage the -10dB PAD on the 6i6?

I haven't tried engaging the pad on the 6i6

The input gain on the interface is all the way down for input #1 which is the XLR coming off of the AX8 left XLR output.

The output 1 knob on AX8 is all the way up which is almost too hot for the XLR input on the 6i6 but not hot enough for the SPDIF input.

I want to believe that tracking the AX8 using SPDIF is better but I'm beginning to think I prefer the XLR method. Using XLR also eliminates the need to monkey around with the audio preferences on the Scarlett and Logic as it pertains to adjusting the sample rate from 44.1 to 48.

I haven't tried engaging the pad on the 6i6

The input gain on the interface is all the way down for input #1 which is the XLR coming off of the AX8 left XLR output.

The output 1 knob on AX8 is all the way up which is almost too hot for the XLR input on the 6i6 but not hot enough for the SPDIF input.

I want to believe that tracking the AX8 using SPDIF is better but I'm beginning to think I prefer the XLR method. Using XLR also eliminates the need to monkey around with the audio preferences on the Scarlett and Logic as it pertains to adjusting the sample rate from 44.1 to 48.

Folks, this is not meant to be condescending or derogatory in any way. IMHO, people need to he over the obsession of "staying digital" with these units. The balanced outputs are great. Think of it this way. Numerous effects processors do an a/d and d/a conversion on your chain. There are also clock and jitter issues that may rear their heads n your chain. Not to mention you lock yourself (literally) into 48 kHz sample rate or do conversion.

The point being, numerous things happen along the way n your audio chain. Trust your ears!!! If it sounds good, it is good. Many mix and master G engineers run all digital tracks out through a summing buss and then back to digital to add warmth and "mojo". Much of it is placebo. Some is real.

As stated (I believe by Cliff himself) most pros record Axe-FX via balanced XLRs. That's wha I do so I can change sample rates , etc. with no worries and manage levels simply.

If you always record at 48 kHz.and have consisten level settings from your interface then spdif may be for you. But don't sweat using the XLRs. Just pretend it's a Shure SM 57 plugged into a console and placed on a cabinet.

Use your ears! Do a blind comparison.

Those are all valid points Archie. That was mainly the basis of my observation. Meaning I really didn't notice a change in audio between the two different connections. And your absolutely right in that going XLR doesn't lock me into 48khz sample rate.

I was just thinking out loud.

Try Reaper. It's really good and trial version does not have any functional limits. And if you want to buy it, it's cheap.

Back
Top Bottom