Recording straight USB buffer size?

Ironwill

Experienced
What is the suggested USB buffer size in the Axe-Fx II when record straight? Default setting is at 1024, (iam on Mavericks OSX) With which size i get the best result? Anybody have experience at it?

I'm on Windows 8.1, but here is what I do. My buffer size is usually between 1024 and 4096. Since I'm monitoring directly from the outputs of the Axe-Fx, latency is not an issue; also, your DAW should compensate for it while recording, so in my opinion, there is no reason to choose a too small buffer size.

Oh, and in case you didn't already know: Choosing a too small buffer size might lead to nasty pops due to audio drop outs.

Leave it at default unless you'e experiencing issues. That applies to almost everything, BTW.

I've actually had random USB issues with the audio being out of sync when tracking in Ableton Live 8. Also I believe the USB outs use more processor power on the Axefx so if you have a preset that is borderline maxing out it could cause a problem tracking. I just use the AES digital outs now on my axefx, I can't be bothered with the stress of it working or not. But I would imagine higher buffer settings are always safer as long as you are monitoring through the analogue outs.

I've actually had random USB issues with the audio being out of sync when tracking in Ableton Live 8. Also I believe the USB outs use more processor power on the Axefx so if you have a preset that is borderline maxing out it could cause a problem tracking. I just use the AES digital outs now on my axefx, I can't be bothered with the stress of it working or not. But I would imagine higher buffer settings are always safer as long as you are monitoring through the analogue outs.

Great to hear from your experience with it! \m/

The buffer setting causing a latency problem is only an issue for me if I attempt to enable software monitoring in Logic Pro, so that I can hear my guitar tone with the backing track while I record a new track. If you lower the buffer, you minimize the echo effect while you are tracking, but in the old days prior to the latest Mac driver, you'd get chirping artifacts on your recorded tracks. The solution for me was to increase the buffer size, and as we mentioned earlier in this thread, do not enable software monitoring in Logic audio preferences, but monitor the guitar tone directly from the Axe Fx.

In my modest setup, I record from the Axe via USB into a macbook pro. I run the output 1 1/4" to an amp. I keep the amp and my studio monitors the same relative distance from my ears.

Logic Pro calculates the recorded track latency and compensates for it, so you can run high buffer sizes (so you don't get fizz or chirps/crackles on your tracks), and the software realigns your tracks so they sound like they are in-tempo when you play back.

Sounds almost like my little issue, the Axe Fx is playback engine in Pro Tools of course, so everything i play goes out at the Axe Output 1 Left and Right, I monitor my guitar direct while play-,recording also through Output 1, (send this per USB), when i record a track,I have to mute this one, that i only hear me without latency over the Axe, yep, that how it works for me. I USB Buffer size like default, no problem actually, only wanted to know what is better to the recorded signal.

There's something i thought about in this second, When my Output 1 in the Axe-FX I/O settings is set to L+R Summed in general! Is my playback what comes from my daw not a real Stereo mix i hear then from my monitors that going out of my AXe output 1???!!..

Last edited:
I have figured out that it's better to put USB BUFER SIZE in the Axe "I/O - Audio" meny, to 64. Cause when it was higher (by default) i noticed latency during Re-amp. Re-amped signal was delayed.
Latency on in driver meny on the computer have no effect on re-amping or recording

I have figured out that it's better to put USB BUFER SIZE in the Axe "I/O - Audio" meny, to 64. Cause when it was higher (by default) i noticed latency during Re-amp. Re-amped signal was delayed.
Latency on in driver meny on the computer have no effect on re-amping or recording
Hey man thats very interesting for me! At what DAW and system(windows/OSX) do you work at? The signal quality stays high with 64?

Hey man thats very interesting for me! At what DAW and system(windows/OSX) do you work at? The signal quality stays high with 64?
I work in Cubase 7.5, Windows 8 64bit
As far as i can hear, audio quallity remain the same at 64, no pops or clicks or any other artifacts.
I keep my driver bufer size at 2048 and internal Axe buffer at 64

I work in Cubase 7.5, Windows 8 64bit
As far as i can hear, audio quallity remain the same at 64, no pops or clicks or any other artifacts.
I keep my driver bufer size at 2048 and internal Axe buffer at 64

Alright! :) Yeah not sure how to compare to the use with OSX Mavericks on Mac, iam sure there is a difference with the USB driver i'd read in Axewiki anyhow,

It depends on how many CPU heavy plugins you use in your DAW. The more you use, the more buffer you need to NOT get any popping and crackling.
More buffer will create longer latency, so you want to set it as low as possible.

I tried a lot, it works well with 64 USB buffer, without crackling and things! :)

I uploaded two videos, please have a look to the USB status. Should i go for setting 64 ..the USB state fluctuate around 50

or let it by default 1024 where the status looks like fixed to 50% ? What safer, do i lose quality that i don't hear straight?!

Back
Top Bottom