Record video playing over backing track

jpp247

Hi,

tried a few searches but can't seem to find this. AxeFx connected to an iMac. HS8 speakers connected to the Axe. I can play over backing tracks (played through apple music) no problems.

Using Quicktime I can record video and have the video source be my iPhone (better camera) and the audio source be the Axe. This works except it only records my playing and not the backing track - even though both are coming out of the speakers connected to the AxeFx. Screenshot below. I can't understand why the guitar audio is captured but not the backing track on the recording but both are heard through the speakers.

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 4.33.05 PM.png

Pass through audio isn't sent to usb output. It only goes to analog outs. You'll need to route the computer audio through the grid to an output block if you want it recorded. For example, use an In USB block and send computer audio to usb channels 7/8 using audio midi setup.

Also, if you listen carefully, you'll hear you're recording a DI that I'm sure you don't want. Here's a solution to that:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/usb-in-block-dry-signal.199563/#post-2486469

I can't understand why the guitar audio is captured but not the backing track on the recording but both are heard through the speakers.
Axefx's USB outputs 1&2 carry the audio from the output1 block on the grid, not the USB audio from your computer. The USB audio outputs from your computer are mixed in with that processed audio from the Out1 block before the converters for the physical hardware output 1. That enables you to play along with audio from your computer and record the processed guitar alone. When recording in a DAW you only want to print your guitar audio on the armed track, not the guitar audio mixed with the click and master bus you're playing to.

There's software that will allow you to do what you want, but the most practical solution is to just record the video and audio separately. Record your guitar audio in a DAW with the backing track, then bounce out the finished audio product and add it to the video in video editing software. This way you can edit your recorded guitar, do multiple takes, double track, etc inside the DAW.

You could also route the USB audio from your computer to the In USB block (USB 7+8) using Audio Midi Setup in MacOS, then connect the In USB block directly to the Out1 block, but this seems unnecessarily complicated and requires editing presets and your MacOS audio setup.

Last edited:
Pass through audio isn't sent to usb output. It only goes to analog outs. You'll need to route the computer audio through the grid to an output block if you want it recorded. For example, use an In USB block and send computer audio to usb channels 7/8 using audio midi setup.

Also, if you listen carefully, you'll hear you're recording a DI that I'm sure you don't want. Here's a solution to that:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/usb-in-block-dry-signal.199563/#post-2486469
Thanks. I'll get that SW.

the most practical solution is to just record the video and audio separately. Record your guitar audio in a DAW with the backing track, then bounce out the finished audio product and add it to the video in video editing software. This way you can edit your recorded guitar, do multiple takes, double track, etc inside the DAW.
Thanks to you also. I'd like to explore this also. So... I load up quicktime to record video and set its audio to iMac built-in mic (for example since this audio track will be removed later?). Then load up GarageBand and set its input to the axefx.

I have to click record on something first. So, click record in quicktime, then click record in GB. Then open the video file in final cut. Bring in the audio file from GB. How easy is it to sync up (shift) the audio track to align with the video? Is there some trick or technique here?

Make a marker 8 beats in on both audio and video side, line them up in final cut.

Im more likely to do the usb 7/8 than I am edit a video, which is partially why I havent done that type of video yet haha.

I have to click record on something first. So, click record in quicktime, then click record in GB. Then open the video file in final cut. Bring in the audio file from GB. How easy is it to sync up (shift) the audio track to align with the video? Is there some trick or technique here?

Final Cut does a good job of automatically syncing using Clip -> Synchronize Clips. You can experiment to see which audio source for the Quicktime recording works best for the synchronization. The mic picking up the room audio might work well, or the Axe-FX might work better.

Make a marker 8 beats in on both audio and video side, line them up in final cut.

Im more likely to do the usb 7/8 than I am edit a video, which is partially why I havent done that type of video yet haha.

Final Cut does a good job of automatically syncing using Clip -> Synchronize Clips. You can experiment to see which audio source for the Quicktime recording works best for the synchronization. The mic picking up the room audio might work well, or the Axe-FX might work better.
Thanks to you both. I’ll give it a shot in the coming days. I’ll also grab the loopback software for that option.

I use Microsoft Camera that comes with Windows and a usb webcam.
Axe FX into interface via spdif, interface into PC via usb.
No need to sync anything as it records audio and vid together to a MP4 file.
Just start the backing track and hit record on MS Camera.

Just my 2 cents, but personally I (sometimes) make short videos for stuff like Instagram/reels but I'm no pro. My workflow is:

1. Load backing track into my daw
2. Press record on my iphone camera
3. Press record in my daw (my guitar takes and backing track are recorded in daw)
4. Bang guitar strings 3 times (use this to sync video and audio later)
5. Record take
6. do any audio editing/mixing I need to do in my daw
7. Export audio as .wav
8. Load video from iphone and audio from daw to lightworks (video editor)
9. Sync video to audio and cut to length
10. Export final product as mp4

Basically what I'm trying to get at is I isolate the audio and video parts of the project as part of my workflow and that has helped me a lot. When I tried doing everything all at once in one software, it was always a headache trying to get everyone to play nice with others lol. Anyways just my experience but I hope you find a good solution!

-ZZ

I use Microsoft Camera that comes with Windows and a usb webcam.
Axe FX into interface via spdif, interface into PC via usb.
No need to sync anything as it records audio and vid together to a MP4 file.
Just start the backing track and hit record on MS Camera.

👏👏

Just my 2 cents, but personally I (sometimes) make short videos for stuff like Instagram/reels but I'm no pro. My workflow is:

1. Load backing track into my daw
2. Press record on my iphone camera
3. Press record in my daw (my guitar takes and backing track are recorded in daw)
4. Bang guitar strings 3 times (use this to sync video and audio later)
5. Record take
6. do any audio editing/mixing I need to do in my daw
7. Export audio as .wav
8. Load video from iphone and audio from daw to lightworks (video editor)
9. Sync video to audio and cut to length
10. Export final product as mp4

Basically what I'm trying to get at is I isolate the audio and video parts of the project as part of my workflow and that has helped me a lot. When I tried doing everything all at once in one software, it was always a headache trying to get everyone to play nice with others lol. Anyways just my experience but I hope you find a good solution!

-ZZ
thanks. That's helpful. I'm absolutely no pro either. Just playing again for first time in decades. Thought it would be easy to capture a couple of vids to share with friends. Yikes...

One question. Any reason why you export as .wav format in step 7?

thanks. That's helpful. I'm absolutely no pro either. Just playing again for first time in decades. Thought it would be easy to capture a couple of vids to share with friends. Yikes...

One question. Any reason why you export as .wav format in step 7?
I totally get you! And thinking about it, you might be better off trying some of the other suggestions. I feel like what we want is to have a simple workflow where we're messing with things as little as possible and can just focus on playing. And while I have my workflow down pretty good, there is still a bit of manual effort to get everything right. Now the other suggestions might make it so that once you set everything up the first time, after that all you have to do is press record, and I think that's what you want (correct me if I'm wrong). However, I will say that even though my process can be annoying, it did get me more into the video side of things which I've actually enjoyed and I really didn't think I would lol.

And from my understanding, .wav is less compressed and basically better than mp3.

I use few things to record video using computers backing tracks (from Youtube, MediaPlayer, from file etc. (mp3, wav. etc).

In my audio interface have that Mix 1/2 (in loopback function) that brings computers audio to Presonus Studio 1810 Mic/Inst/Line Inputs
where is my Axe FX 3 connected (so every sound comes same time in when recording video using Logitech Capture from my webcam),
(Logitech Capture also can capture your screen and your web cam same time or even part of your software like Media Player).

2. I use also OBS Studio (free software) and there you can choose several audio sources where you want bring recorded sound in and
also there you can choose from where you want take video (from your webcam, or your screen capture or even part of your screen etc.)

Those two ways I don't have to synchronize any sound and video, just one record and everything is synchronized and done.

I haven't use Axe FX 3 as my audio interface and tried if those two ways works with Axe FX 3.

I totally get you! And thinking about it, you might be better off trying some of the other suggestions. I feel like what we want is to have a simple workflow where we're messing with things as little as possible and can just focus on playing. And while I have my workflow down pretty good, there is still a bit of manual effort to get everything right. Now the other suggestions might make it so that once you set everything up the first time, after that all you have to do is press record, and I think that's what you want (correct me if I'm wrong). However, I will say that even though my process can be annoying, it did get me more into the video side of things which I've actually enjoyed and I really didn't think I would lol.

And from my understanding, .wav is less compressed and basically better than mp3.
I haven't tried anything new yet (but I did install the loopback SW today). What I did do was take the video file of me only (without backing track) and put that in final cut. Then I imported the backing track audio file. After manually shifting the backing audio I was able to align it ok enough. Then exported (shared) that out. Pretty clunky but it worked - for what it is. I don't think I can post here so there's a short clip on my X.

Back
Top Bottom