USB In block (dry signal)

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
real quick question. and yes i'm sure its in the manual somewhere:) scenario: i'm recording some guitar clips into photobooth app on my mac. I set my audio to Axe fx USB. I also know to set outputs 7/8 in my mac settings. reason for using USB in block in my chain is so i can pipe in whatever mac audio (music files) to jam along with and record.
problem: I'm pretty sure its catching doubled dry signal as well. Probably overlooking a simple setting somewhere yes?

edit: okay i'm reading the manual hahah. Looking at page 20 , 21 for usb mapping and mac osx specific settings. I'm sure its in here somewhere.

Last edited:
Following since i would use photobooth as well if I could get it to work easily.
Photobooth should be straightforward but I find it to be a PITA especially with setting input sound source. It did not like my Apollo X6 at all

Are you trying to record from the grid or send USB signal back to the grid for additional processing?
the reason i was using USB in was to pipe in mac audio to record along with my guitar signal into photobooth. If I set my audio source in mac to Axe Fx i know it will playback audio from my mac in general but I would not be able to record any audio from my mac (itunes library for example) into photobooth unless I used the USB in block.

Ah gotcha. So you're getting a doubled signal on just the audio going to USB Outs 7&8 or on everything? What inputs are you recording in Photo Booth?

Ah gotcha. So you're getting a doubled signal on just the audio going to USB Outs 7&8 or on everything? What inputs are you recording in Photo Booth?
yeah it sounds like i'm getting a doubled (dry) signal piping through after i listen to playback on what i've recorded on photobooth. Photobooth is pretty dumb really. It doesn't have much selection in terms of selecting inputs for audio. It basically defaults to whatever primary audio is set by the mac ..so in this case I have Axe Fx via USB as the sound source in my mac settings. In the advanced audio setup for mac I've set channels 7/8 to get the Axe to play through... The limitation is really photobooth here i suspect. But IF i'm not mistaken does the DI signal from Axe come via usb 5/6? or soemthing like that? i'm mnot sure why the dry signal would be coming through on top of a processed usb signal....or perhaps photobooth is just seeing the axe fx and listening to all its USB outputs...

after work i need to open it up again and see what options /settings are avail

real quick question. and yes i'm sure its in the manual somewhere:) scenario: i'm recording some guitar clips into photobooth app on my mac. I set my audio to Axe fx USB. I also know to set outputs 7/8 in my mac settings. reason for using USB in block in my chain is so i can pipe in whatever mac audio (music files) to jam along with and record.
problem: I'm pretty sure its catching doubled dry signal as well. Probably overlooking a simple setting somewhere yes?

edit: okay i'm reading the manual hahah. Looking at page 20 , 21 for usb mapping and mac osx specific settings. I'm sure its in here somewhere.

I ran into the same problem with Quicktime screen recording. It takes input from all channels. The way I solved it was to use Loopback from RogueAmoeba to create a 2 channel audio device which takes input from Axe-FX channels 1/2, and use that as the input audio device.

Loopback.jpg

I ran into the same problem with Quicktime screen recording. It takes input from all channels. The way I solved it was to use Loopback from RogueAmoeba to create a 2 channel audio device which takes input from Axe-FX channels 1/2, and use that as the input audio device.

View attachment 130053
you sir, are a life saver! thanks so much. yeah i suspected it was just listening to all inputs. Ill give this a go. cheers!

I haven't had a chance to mess around with this since posting...looking at what RogueAmoeba does ...creating a 2 channel audio device...there's no reason that my Apollo X6 shouldnt work as this is really my preference anyhow. I was using that before with Axe connected via SPDIF but was having issues getting that signal through to photobooth for recording which is why I simplified my connections using the Axe 3 as USB device but then necessitated using "USB IN" to pipe in other audio so the Axe fx was doing what my Apollo would do (act as a mixer for other sound sources)

I might just bypass stupid photo booth. I was going to use iMovie but can't use external camera? wtf apple?? I have a mac mini...i dont have a built in webcam?! I might just try out using Final Cut Pro. see how that goes

small bump here @GlennO thanks for the suggestion on amoeba loopback. I finally pulled the trigger on it. Yes, its a bit pricey but its a powerful little program and very easy to use. I have things working nicely now without pulling in the dry signal i was getting in from all usb channel outputs when i was selecting Axe fx as interface into photobooth. What's more is I was even able to route my Yamaha MODX+ USB into the Axe Fx as OUTPUT source which is pretty cool

Back
Top Bottom