Recommended Settings Thread

I actually tried updating to firmware 10.03 but it failed three times so I gave up... I'll give it another try later.

My main metal patch uses Recto New and until yesterday I had run it with low master volume setting (as recommended). Just before yesterday's practice I redid the patch (at gig volume) because I updated to 10.03. I ended up liking high master volume setting this time. It sounded bigger that way. I use blocking PEQ @150Hz and around @7kHz. The patch currently is wah-amp-cab-peq.

Once we started playing I noticed that top end sit in the mix very nicely and cut through beautifully but low end did not stand out and got lost a bit. Now I don't know whether it was the high master volume setting or the fact that our bass player used a new amp and was louder than before. We also have another guitar player but his setup was the same as before.

Maybe for the next practice I'll make another patch with low master volume setting and compare them during practice.

knoll said:
Once we started playing I noticed that top end sit in the mix very nicely and cut through beautifully but low end did not stand out and got lost a bit.

Now I don't know whether it was the high master volume setting or the fact that our bass player used a new amp and was louder than before.

I use blocking PEQ @150Hz

hi.

my guess is that the louder bass masks some of the guitars low frequencies. If you guys had a good balance going, why would the bass player turn up? ok, new amp - it's understandable, but once my band had achieved the best possible setup (location of amps in the room, levels etc.) it was a sacrilege to mess with it.

also, I find a blocking eq @ 150Hz quite high. the fundamentals of E, A and D live in that region:

E - 82.4Hz (if you tune to D - 73,4Hz)
A - 110Hz
D - 146.8Hz
G - 196Hz
B - 246.9Hz
E - 329.6Hz

In my mixes I usually roll of the low end on guitars in the 60-90Hz region, depending on the track / number of guitars etc.

DonPetersen said:
also, I find a blocking eq @ 150Hz quite high. the fundamentals of E, A and D live in that region:

A - 110Hz
D - 146.8Hz
G - 196Hz
B - 246.9Hz
E - 329.6Hz

Great tip, this one. I've adjusted the PEQ on all my live patches to have the blocking EQ down to 81Hz (from about 130Hz) and hey presto - nice, fatter bottom end and still not interfering with the bass player. Many thanks ;)

jonPhillips said:
DonPetersen said:

A - 110Hz
D - 146.8Hz
G - 196Hz
B - 246.9Hz
E - 329.6Hz

Great tip, this one. I've adjusted the PEQ on all my live patches to have the blocking EQ down to 81Hz (from about 130Hz) and hey presto - nice, fatter bottom end and still not interfering with the bass player. Many thanks ;)

cool! :)

DonPetersen said:
knoll said:
Once we started playing I noticed that top end sit in the mix very nicely and cut through beautifully but low end did not stand out and got lost a bit.

Now I don't know whether it was the high master volume setting or the fact that our bass player used a new amp and was louder than before.

hi.

my guess is that the louder bass masks some of the guitars low frequencies. If you guys had a good balance going, why would the bass player turn up? ok, new amp - it's understandable, but once my band had achieved the best possible setup (location of amps in the room, levels etc.) it was a sacrilege to mess with it.

A - 110Hz
D - 146.8Hz
G - 196Hz
B - 246.9Hz
E - 329.6Hz

In my mixes I usually roll of the low end on guitars in the 60-90Hz region, depending on the track / number of guitars etc.
Next practice was much better and the problems I had were due to too loud bass guitar.

Currently in rehearsals I like to block that high (@150Hz) to give room for bass guitar and rhythm guitarist who uses traditional setup. For recordings I do block lower.

I'm blocking the lows @155.2Hz.
I found that way I can match the sound of my Marshall 1960 AV usigna a 4x12 30W cab block going direct.

DonPetersen said:
knoll said:

hi.

A - 110Hz
D - 146.8Hz
G - 196Hz
B - 246.9Hz
E - 329.6Hz

When I need to block low freqs to fit the guitar better into the mix, I start at 100Hz. I don't gain anything from a lower blocking point. It can go up to 155kHz indeed. Works great, even though I use this method less and less. Don't know how that matches with the information above.

Porkchop Xpress said:
I just remembered this site http://www.grailtone.com/tone-settings/tone-settings.html from when I was looking for settings for my Mk IV a couple of years ago. Has anyone here used the settings posted on this site to see how they translate to the mighty Axe-Fx? I'm going to try it out tonight.

Also, most of the big amp manufacturers have suggested settings in their manuals. Here are all of the Mesa manuals for reference. http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm

Some of this stuff has been documented in the Amp Wiki (links to manuals and such).
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... imulations

yek said:
Porkchop Xpress said:
I just remembered this site http://www.grailtone.com/tone-settings/tone-settings.html from when I was looking for settings for my Mk IV a couple of years ago. Has anyone here used the settings posted on this site to see how they translate to the mighty Axe-Fx? I'm going to try it out tonight.

Also, most of the big amp manufacturers have suggested settings in their manuals. Here are all of the Mesa manuals for reference. http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm

Some of this stuff has been documented in the Amp Wiki (links to manuals and such).
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... imulations

yup, good stuff. got some great sounds out of the Axe that way. it's a tribute to how accurate it really is. :)

Does anyone have any copies of these that can be opened on the newest version of Axe Editor? I've been looking at a lot of the old threads and there is a ton of stuff that would be a shame to lose. Is there any way or tool that can convert old patches to update them so we can still use them?

NONE of these work since the latest and last forum migration. I was hoping to get a repost of the patches/presets please

This would be a great help for a lot of us.

Thanks.
-Ben

Back
Top Bottom