Recommended Settings Thread

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
This topic is derived from: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18130

80% said yes so lets take matters to our own hands. Why are we waiting for Cliff to solve our problems when we can help each other. The point is to share patches that consist of only one amp block and a cab block. No user slots! Then we have these "recommended settings patches" so we can upload these patches to our Axe-Fxs and scroll through amps that have somewhat ideal bare bones settings. This would make scrolling and creating patches so much easier. Just fine tune the amp and add effects and you're ready to go. I understand that there's no one right way to setup an amp so there can be several patches from the same amp. Still it would be best if we'd get at least one patch from every amp so we can ideally scroll through all the amps and select our favorite amps with our ears and not with our eyes.

What we want is people that are familiar with these amps to make the patches. I know Mesa/Orange gear so I made these. Scott probably has more intel on Marshall etc. You get the point.

REMEMBER! to add "RCM" in front you the patch name so we know where they came from. (RCM = recommended)

Attachments

• RCM Diezel Metal.syx
    2 KB · Views: 359
  • RCM Mark IV Metal.syx
    2 KB · Views: 342
  • RCM Orange Brit.syx
    2 KB · Views: 310
this is my 5150 settings, this is a popular setting for heavy metal bands and similar eq setting that evh used with his 5150, i like to use the cali, recto 2, and 20w cabs depending on what sound im after. i think i dig the 20 w the best. This amp should always use a od...i set it for 100% these days, if its to mushy i will pull off some of the output from the pedal. Eq the highs to taste and if your after more mids raise it to 3 instead of 2. I use these settings with a real cab as well, the presence will change depending on how loud you have it.

Attachments

• rcm5150.syx
    2 KB · Views: 249
Stratman68 said:
Is this to be a metal thread or all types of music? That's a sincere question, no sarcasim
all types. CK shared recto and diezel settings (and an Orange, yes, I didn't test it yet) but it's up to anyone to share Marshall, Vox, Fender or Dumble settings

fremen said:
Stratman68 said:
Is this to be a metal thread or all types of music? That's a sincere question, no sarcasim
all types. CK shared recto and diezel settings (and an Orange, yes, I didn't test it yet) but it's up to anyone to share Marshall, Vox, Fender or Dumble settings

OK Thanks-

This is for all genres. I just made metal and rock settings and left other patches for people that know the more common settings. :)

Sure you can use a drive pedal too. I used a PEQ with the Mark IV. What ever is the common way to run the real life amps. Like Marshall metal needs OD.

REALLY GOOD IDEA!! It will be great for me to have this..i mean i have never played through 99% of the real
amps so it would be great to have the settings for "that sound" the amp is most associated with even if its
just as a starting point to fine tune!!
This almost makes up for them dangling balls in edit and psychotic profile pic!! :lol:

I actually wish this is something that would be in the default settings for the amps...i've heard all the for
and against..but to me the main future buyers of the Ax are going to be people with not alot of experience
with so many amps and a great starting point for inexperienced ones..there are soo many amps i have not used
because i don't know what they should sound like, and i'm prob missing so much from not using them.
And may help with the threads..."why does my Marshall/Mesa/Fender sound like cr*p!!

Clark, what i would suggest, is you taking the amps as this list grows and edit your first post to include them
to keep the amp patches together, otherwise this is going to be a 1000 pages with amps all over the place and
people not knowing if what they post has already been posted or were to look to find the amp they want and not
wanting to check through so much just to find out.
Even as the list grows, maybe putting the amps in alphabetical order just as a reference so people know what they
are looking for..alot of work maybe..but once its done..its done for good!!

Thanks guys for initiating and following-up on this topic. I for one, don't have 20 years of experience with a slew of amps, and would like to hear what others more familiar with the actual amps are doing with the presets. It won't preclude me from doing my own customization but will provide some interesting data points and perhaps point out settings I would not have considered on my own. I think most amp user-manuals also go 'out on a limb' and provide some 'typical' settings to achieve various sounds ... even though the various knobs may not actually reflect any of those settings once you bring the amp home :). I can't recall seeing a user manual that said ... "hey, put the knobs wherever you want, who are we to to give you suggestions on how we think our amps sound best!"

Looking forward to the results .. thanks again ...

Great thread and thanks to those that have contributed! Even though I have a decent idea of where to start with most of the amps it is nice to get another perspective. Sometimes the sweet spot for an amp isn't exactly where I expect it to be.

mark_melling said:
[quote="Clark Kent":1przvqxd]For some reason I wasn't able to add more than 3 files in one post...

I will save them in a folder and subfolders and post it up when its complete for convenience! :)[/quote:1przvqxd]

Thanks Mark! This would be a dream come true. Just give me the URL so I can put it in the first post. Another way to do this would be to share these in the editor AxeChange but now all of us are using it.

mniel8195 said:
someone needs to do a mrk II setting and an engl powerball i have no idea how to set that one up.

I don't have experience with Engl gear. I've played the Mark IIC+ in the Mark V although some people are saying it's not even close to the original thing. Even when I've heard the 2C+ on records I just though it's the lousier little brother of the Mark IV. Here are the factory sample settings:

IICsample.jpg

I made a metal patch of settings I'd recommend. Still... it's the lousier little brother of the Mark IV patch I recommended. :)

Attachments

• RCM Mark IIC+ Metal.syx
    2 KB · Views: 170
Here's a go at an AC30

[attachment=0:8o3fvcnx]Top Boost.syx[/attachment:8o3fvcnx]

I use dynamic filtering, so it will be necessary to adjust the envelope settings for one's playing style & gear
for that part to function properly or else bypass the filter block and disable the amp input auto-pad.

That may make things flabby/flubby in the bottom. :? :lol: YMMV...

For me, I like what I get using a Treble Boost drive block driving the Top Boost model in this case rather than the plain amp model...

2 hi res mono cabs w/ PEQ blocking low & high.
I usually use RedWirez, but put similar builtins into this patch...

I once owned one of the first Cherry Panel integral Top Boost AC30s and this seems to be close to what
I think I remember but I'm a CRS sufferer, especially when it involves tones I heard in the past...

Feedback appreciated, I've got tons of these...

Thanks for making these patches. I know I should just accept whatever settings were posted here but I have to check them in order to keep a certain quality on this thread. The 5150 f.ex. had so much gain that it made me think: "is this the way people set their 5150" I don't think it is. So if it's up to me to decide it won't be in the collection. Sorry man, I know your intentions were good but it's not something I would recommend and this is RCM thread. :)

The topboost patch was good! However it did have those envelope tricks which lead to sounding weird so I removed those and kept the settings. The presence control had to be rolled down to 0. It's the maximum in the real amp. Other than that nice job! :)

Attachments

• RCM Top Boost.syx
    2 KB · Views: 203
Back
Top Bottom