Recommendations for Brad Paisley cab tones

Jvstrat

Experienced
Hey guys I could use some recommendations for cabs to use with the DRZ amps to get a Brad Paisley type tone. I have a lot of own hammer stuff, Fractal Cab Packs, and Cab Pack 7 and 8. I just haven't had much luck getting that percussive twang.

Brad Paisley is known to use Celestion Alnico Golds, of which have been sampled in the OwnHammer 212 BOG-SH impulse response library. Brad is known to use MD421's (and they sound on record like the great old ones like in the OH libraries, not the needle in the ear new ones) for close mic'ing and AEA ribbons for mid field, both of which are available in this library. The OH2 and OH2F mixes, which are vintage 421 dominant, absolutely shine with single coils/P90's with the Axe-Fx's clean to mid gain amps, and have wowed major label Nashville producers in the last month since OwnHammer V4 libraries have been released. To add to that, the "MID" capture is an AEA ribbon, and this mic choice and placement was literally inspired by the Paisley setup, no joke. I would recommend grabbing that, pulling up the OH2 or OH2F file in the Quick Start folder, then maybe blending in the MID, starting at low levels and notching it up, to see if that gives a little bit more element of natural room space, though you may not even need it with that mix type.

Hope that helps!

Brad Paisley is known to use Celestion Alnico Golds, of which have been sampled in the OwnHammer 212 BOG-SH impulse response library. Brad is known to use MD421's (and they sound on record like the great old ones like in the OH libraries, not the needle in the ear new ones) for close mic'ing and AEA ribbons for mid field, both of which are available in this library. The OH2 and OH2F mixes, which are vintage 421 dominant, absolutely shine with single coils/P90's with the Axe-Fx's clean to mid gain amps, and have wowed major label Nashville producers in the last month since OwnHammer V4 libraries have been released. To add to that, the "MID" capture is an AEA ribbon, and this mic choice and placement was literally inspired by the Paisley setup, no joke. I would recommend grabbing that, pulling up the OH2 or OH2F file in the Quick Start folder, then maybe blending in the MID, starting at low levels and notching it up, to see if that gives a little bit more element of natural room space, though you may not even need it with that mix type.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Kevin, I was hoping you would chime in. I was thinking about adding that one to my collection as I have a lot of your other packs. I noticed the Dr Z Z Wreck 2x12 cab has the gold plus a blue. Guess I will pick that one up tomorrow.

i've actually been playing with the cab that Kevin recommended, trying to decide what i like best. going to spend some time tweaking this afternoon, i'll try to throw some clips up if i have time.

love it, my fav for these types of tones so far. replaced the OH 212 silver/blue mix i've been using. Not surprised, though, the Gold is pretty much my fav speaker ever. trying to decide if i like just the gold or the mix of the gold and silver. (the silver is second fav speaker, lol)

didn't get to record today but got to spend a good bit of time switching between cabs/speakers. the golds only is definitely more mellow, so it seem darker at first but i'm sure light eq could fix that. at first listen the gold/silver mix seems more chimey but again, i think eq"ing the gold gets you there without some of the rattiness the silver can get. it's not an unpleasant rattiness, but it's there. i think the golds will handle drives better due to it's smoother response across the spectrum. will try my best to get some clips up tomorrow. have a busy day then weekend, leading at a retreat tomorrow night then 3 services over the weekend....a day (or 3) in the life....

didn't get to record today but got to spend a good bit of time switching between cabs/speakers. the golds only is definitely more mellow, so it seem darker at first but i'm sure light eq could fix that. at first listen the gold/silver mix seems more chimey but again, i think eq"ing the gold gets you there without some of the rattiness the silver can get. it's not an unpleasant rattiness, but it's there. i think the golds will handle drives better due to it's smoother response across the spectrum. will try my best to get some clips up tomorrow. have a busy day then weekend, leading at a retreat tomorrow night then 3 services over the weekend....a day (or 3) in the life....

If you can post a couple presets that would be great. I have a big show tonight and would love to try a new tone.

Ive recorded Brad several times, he prefers the gold than the blue, but does like a small percentage of that in too. - You may want to reduce the gold flubb though at 200K just how he likes it with a good tele. Prefers FET mics, but a good R121 will do too. as long as its not close in proximity, so about 2 feet away. for the Spangly stuff, and closer for the rest. - you may also try a U47, 87 and R121 Mixing with a Dynmanic, he uses circ 70's S545s & dimed mic pre's - and finally room mics are very important. (L/R) but we cant do that very well in the axefx yet..

I also dont think you shoudl get your hopes up for "his sound from IR's alone. - Although he uses a stock Wreck most of the time (most) - ts his style of playing that does that talking.. but good luck anwyay!

I'm not really trying to nail it just in that territory. I have heard lots of great punchy similar tones on DrZ's site. I want to approach it the right way mic and speaker wise.

I bought and tried the ir's from Own Hammer and spot on. Did what he recommended in his post with what ir's to use and made my patch with the ruby rocket made some minor tweaks to the amp but dam i love it !! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom