Recommend some drum midi packages?

acwild

Experienced
I usually write my own drum tracks but recent flareups of my chronic lazy ass syndrome has led me to using drum grooves. The ones that I bought are Toontracks Rock and Monster Midi packages. Right now, I'm looking at Groove Monkey's offerings but wanted some opinions. Generally speaking, I'm looking for rock beats but sometimes like funk too (although I'll do rock to metal over them).

Any packages you guys are happy with?

I really like using Jamstix 3. It doesn't use preset patterns. It dynamically create a performance based on style and virtual drummer. It integrates with other drum libraries. You just plop in the song order (intro, verses, choruses, fills, etc.) and let it go. You can also controls and modify the drummer. Try that in real life :)

I really like using Jamstix 3. It doesn't use preset patterns. It dynamically create a performance based on style and virtual drummer. It integrates with other drum libraries. You just plop in the song order (intro, verses, choruses, fills, etc.) and let it go. You can also controls and modify the drummer. Try that in real life :)

Sean, did you ever use Groove Agent (from Steinberg), and how would it compare to Jamstyx 3? I moved to a new PC, need to buy an easy-to-use virtual drummer, was going to buy Groove Agent again, but maybe it would be wise to consider / research different alternatives...

That sounds really cool. I'll go check it out. The Toontrack Rock package has things broken into Intro, Verses, etc... Very convenient. Thanks!
Is Groove Agent similar?

Sean, did you ever use Groove Agent (from Steinberg), and how would it compare to Jamstyx 3? I moved to a new PC, need to buy an easy-to-use virtual drummer, was going to buy Groove Agent again, but maybe it would be wise to consider / research different alternatives...

Yes, I have used groove agent 2. This is on a whole different level. You should go to their site and check it out. www.rayzoon.com

caveats: They won't have a mac version until later this year.
you need to use fxpansion VST/RTAS wrapper for protools

That sounds really cool. I'll go check it out. The Toontrack Rock package has things broken into Intro, Verses, etc... Very convenient. Thanks!
Is Groove Agent similar?

Yes, I have toontrack superior 2 and pretty much all of the libraries and midi packs. This is different. You just put it in the interface and you can change and reorder the song super fast. You can change styles or drummers for each section if you want. The fills are not preset so each time the drummer does a fill, it might be different. If you have a take you really like you can save it so it doesn't change and you can of course alter it to suite your needs.

I would check out the Superior Drummer 2 from Toontrack, as previously mentioned.

My only recommendation would be the Songwriters MIDI Packs they have. Who can go wrong for 20$, and down-loadable??

I would check out the Superior Drummer 2 from Toontrack, as previously mentioned.

My only recommendation would be the Songwriters MIDI Packs they have. Who can go wrong for 20$, and down-loadable??

Thanks! I have Superior Drummer 2 and am just looking for some midi packs for convenience. Right now, I'm pretty sure that they're $29. I just bought the Song Writers Fill pack and am pretty happy with it (as well as the Rock and Monster Midi packs). Groove Monkey's Essential Rock Pack 1 is looking pretty good too from the free samples that I got. I appreciate the input.

D'oh! Well I'm out then.

Jamstix 3 is so good that I keep a Bootcamp partition with a Win XP license on my Macbook Pro only for using it.
It´s really worth it.

And yes, it´s a complete different and superior beast than Groove Agent.

It´s the future of virtual drum creation IMHO. Midi grooves is the past :)

P.S.: And don´t confuse drum CREATING software like Jamstix (although it comes with a very decent sounding drum library) with specializes Drum LIBRARIES that don´t create grooves but may come with some additional midi grooves (like Superior, Addictive Drums, SSD, BFD).

Last edited:
Jamstix 3 is so good that I keep a Bootcamp partition with a Win XP license on my Macbook Pro only for using it.
It´s really worth it.

And yes, it´s a complete different and superior beast than Groove Agent.

It´s the future of virtual drum creation IMHO. Midi grooves is the past :)

You guys have me sold on it. I'm just waiting for the Mac version. My computer had Parallels on it but it didn't work out so well for me. Lots of freezing up issues. I'll avoid anything Microsoft these days if I can. Jmho.
By the way, one of my favorite places to go when I'm in your neck of the woods is http://www.hamburg-hofbraeuhaus.de/. :)

I'd be particularly interested in packages which have not only drums, but also bass. I use the BOSS DR-880 for this, but I'd also love to have something software based, for easier programming.

I'd be particularly interested in packages which have not only drums, but also bass. I use the BOSS DR-880 for this, but I'd also love to have something software based, for easier programming.

Same here. Mine is still getting a lot of mileage. I noticed that the price of the DR-880 finally dropped. Maybe a long-overdue new model is coming?

Rayzoon really needs to hire a proper designer to re-do their user interface. My Mac will barf if I install something like this on it. I would sort of understand the crappy UI if the program was free, but it isn't.

Back
Top Bottom