Recommend a piezo-equipped electric

Zwiebelchen

Fractal Fanatic
Hey guys... time for a NGD for me, so I'd wish to collect some recommendations on electric guitars to try out, strat and LP style.

I have retrofitted several electric guitars with piezo systems in the past and wouldn't want to miss that flexibility anymore. But since I am aiming for the 3k price range now, I don't want any "taints" on my new guitar that might hurt the resell-value.
So this time, retrofitting a piezo is not an option.

So which guitars can you recommend in the 2k-4k price range that come with a Piezo system? A requirement is that the guitar comes with a stereo jack so that piezo and electric signal can be seperated using a Y-cable (into input 1 L and R). Because that's how I fitted all my other guitars and I want compatibility between my setups.

So far, I've found these guitars:
EBMM JP series. I've heard nothing but good about the JP6 and the Mystic dream finish is a real eyecatcher.
Gibson Alex Lifeson Les Paul. Awesome piezo equipped LP. Again, nothing but good heard about it yet.
Parker Fly series. Great playability, unique body design, though the headstock isn't my cup of tea.
There's also the Duesenberg TV plus, but I already own a retrofitted Duesy.

Have I missed anything? That can't be everything on the market, right? Anyone has recommendations?

PS: No modelling guitars please.

Yeah EBMM JP or PRS P24 would be my suggestions. I've owned 5 EBMM JPs. :D Right now I just have one but it's definitely one of the best guitars I've ever owned. My #1 guitar is the PRS Custom 24. (I own a few of them right now) Those are the kind of guitars you simply can't sell... they're so good I know I'd regret selling them.

PRS P22 or hollowbody, those piezos are great (craps all over the ghost system for example). You'd need an adapter to do the Y cable thing though.

Does the PRS P24 have a stereo output to route both signals left and right through the same jack or just two mono outputs? It would be a bummer if I had to use different cables for my guitars and I'm currently using an Y-cable to connect my guitars to the Axe.

Afaik, the JP6 and AL LP have both options: stereo output through the same jack or double mono output through two jacks.

EDIT: Nvm, it got answered already. Bummer, I love the design of the PRS P24.

I use a Parker Fly with a stereo cable so that I can choose piezo vs magnetics from the Axe FX. It has the advantage of being a very light guitar. I didn't particularly like the sound of the Fishman circuit board, and retro-fitted a Graphtech Acoustiphone (and a synth output, but that's another story)

Lately I've been wondering about getting a P22 or P24 because they have a much warmer tone than the Fly. If I did got one then I'd immediately rewire it to use a stereo cable

I've been thinking about going with one of the Carvin guitars with piezo.
I can get a fully loaded one for about $1600.
I'd like a MMJP, but I'd probably have to spend another $800 or so for something similar.

I've been using Parkers for a long time. Saved my back and sound great. Nice piezo tone and through the Axe FX tone matching I've had nothing but raves on my acoustic tone.
Never played the Les Paul but can't bear the weight.
The neck of the JP 6 is not my cup of tea but I hear they're fantastic. Then again I heard the pickups are very hot. I like milder pickups as I play Jazz, blues and classic rock by choice and everything else as called for. So Parker was right for me on all fronts and still is.

Sample here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...at-im-talking-about-acoustic-tone-heaven.html

When I had my guitar rental business, I had about a dozen guitars with piezos. I would rank my top 3 favorites as...

1) XoX
2) Parker Fly
3) PRS HB II

Just one man's opinion.

3erezuba.jpg

I just got the lifeson model as a gift from my fiancé. It's by far the most amazing guitar I own. And just an FYI my friend at guitar center gave her a deal on it, brand new for $3300 plus tax. Pretty decent discount considering its $4500 new.

Great sound piezo and i love the pickups.

Only issue I had with it is that the piezo and magnetic circuits need to be separated and rewired. Guitar center did it for me for free and covered it under Gibson warranty. Unless its rewired the magnetics have excess noise. Once separated it is quiet as can be. BUT... You lose the mono blended jack and the guitar becomes strictly one jack for piezo and one for mags. But that's the way I wanted it anyways. And with the axe it's more practical. One jack goes to L and the other to the R input on the axe fx.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I know these don't match your price range, but having played/owned several, I can say they are worth twice what they cost (when compared to other brands).

Godin Freeway SA (has Ghost system, but no piezo output)
Godin LGXT
Godin LGX-SA

Another alternative (and what I have done recently) is to custom build something. For that much money, you could easily get something decent built at most custom shops.

Last edited:
Only issue I had with it is that the piezo and magnetic circuits need to be separated and rewired. Guitar center did it for me for free and covered it under Gibson warranty. Unless its rewired the magnetics have excess noise. Once separated it is quiet as can be.
Wow, that's a real shame for a guitar that expensive. And imho the death sentence for me. I won't pay 3 grand for a guitar that I need to fix before I can use it.

I know these don't match your price range, but having played/owned several, I can say they are worth twice what they cost (when compared to other brands).

Godin Freeway SA
Godin LGXT
Godin LGX-SA

Another alternative (and what I have done recently) is to custom build something. For that much money, you could easily get something decent built at most custom shops.
Great suggestion! I'm always in for saving one grand if it doesn't miss something in terms of sound. I'll make sure to check out some reviews on YT on those. Though the LGXes have something weird going on with their body shape. Especially around the output jacks.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a real shame for a guitar that expensive. And imho the death sentence for me. I won't pay 3 grand for a guitar that I need to fix before I can use it.

Great suggestion! I'm always in for saving one grand if it doesn't miss something in terms of sound. I'll make sure to check out some reviews on YT on those. Though the LGXes have something weird going on with their body shape. Especially around the output jacks.

It's a minor adjustment that needs to be made. But it was really just a personal preference for me. Keep in mind that the problem isn't with the Gibson guitar but its with the piezo ghost system. I had the same issue when i installed the ghost system in my other les Paul.
Therefore if the JP guitar uses the same piezo I would bet it has the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I can only vote for what I've experience with: Godin LGX(T). Great guitar, great piezo sound IMO.
Unless they changed something, Godin guitars don't have a stereo output jack, just two mono ones. One just for magnetic PUs, the other if used alone provides a mix or only piezo if the magnetic output is in use, too. I guess it's simple to retrofit the guitar with a stereo jack to be consistent with your other guitars.

BTW, the body shape at the outputs is straightened, because most piezo-equipped Godins have triple outputs (magnetic, piezo/magnetic, hexaphonic) and are mounted on a (straight) plate:

lgxt-jack.jpg

I can only vote for what I've experience with: Godin LGX(T). Great guitar, great piezo sound IMO.
Unless they changed something, Godin guitars don't have a stereo output jack, just two mono ones. One just for magnetic PUs, the other if used alone provides a mix or only piezo if the magnetic output is in use, too. I guess it's simple to retrofit the guitar with a stereo jack to be consistent with your other guitars.
I was under the impression the mix output was stereo, but admittedly I've never used it that way, so couldn't say for sure. I'll see if I can find a cable to test with.

Edit: Checked it, you're right, it is mono. Easy problem to solve with a dual 1/4" TS to single 1/4" TRS cable.

Last edited:
I have tried a lot of different brands piezo's and found the Ghost to be the easiest to install but the nosiest of the bunch from what I am told due to un-shielded piezo leads. The ones that did the best for me are the LR Baggs and RMC. LR Baggs is pretty straight forward yet somewhat limited to how it can or what it can installed into, best on a Strat. RMC has the most versatility but the hardest to assemble. Also tried one of the Line6 Tyler Variax the LP59 humbucker imports, for the money it did some cool stuff may be worth shaking a pic at depending on if its going to be used a lot or just for a few tunes. Haven't tried many other manufactures turn key piezo/electrics although I did work at Ernie Ball for a while and theirs was not bad at all plus American Made. PS Fishman has a new system thats rather interesting did one install on a guys Strat, sounded nice but I didnt get any quality play time to truly comment on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom