Received my invite for an FM9 finally…

ejmarlan

Now that I am finally settled in and been using the FM3 for three or four months now, do I go ahead and upgrade to the FM9?

How many of you have done this and is it worth the extra money keeping in mind I will sell the FM3, but there is a lot of those out there now.

thanks
ericm

We don’t know your needs so any recommendations we make are conjecture.

Give us a good insight into what you ARE doing with the FM3 and want to do that you can’t and we can give you some reasonable advice.

The FM9 waitlist will eventually run its course and they’ll be available to order from the site, so that should reduce or remove any feelings of urgency.

And, the FM3 is a powerful tool on its own and super portable.

It’s never that useful to keep or sell a unit like that based on the economics, decide between them by the features and your needs.

FWIW - I passed on the 9 because I don’t use reverb live. My kitchen sink preset wouldn’t work if I needed reverb but the size of the fm3 won over the missing BTU’s. As Master Fergusson has said, your needs will determine your need.

Thanks, these are all great responses. I do not gig and was thinking of maybe just getting the FC-6 as I like switching reverb, delay, compressor, phaser, etc. on and off, but at $550 its hard though not to just put the FM-3 out for sale, take the money, use the $550 I would have spent on the FC-6, and pay the difference to get the FM-9 which also gets the additional processing power and dual amp mode, etc. along with 6 more switches. Wish the FM-9 would have been available sooner as I probably would have just stepped up to it last year.

I like this statement from Greg though and it makes sense to also sit tight:

"The FM9 waitlist will eventually run its course and they’ll be available to order from the site, so that should reduce or remove any feelings of urgency."

Heck, maybe later this year or next there will be an FM-10 that comes out. Who knows?

Thanks again, ericm

I was in this spot a couple weeks ago. Ordered an FM3 and got the FM9 invite while the FM3 was in transit (yea, just my luck). This pissed me off at first becuase the FM9 was the one I wanted in the first place. Had I waited just 36hrs to order, I would have gotten the FM9. Oh well, 1st world problems...

Now that I've had the FM3 for a few weeks, I decided that it's enough for my needs and the ~$800 saved can be used better in other studio gear that I actually do need. I don't play live and don't necessairly need the extra switches. My patches are pretty simple and I don't need the extra CPU unless I want to run higher reverb quality. I like the compact size and it fits comfortably on my studio desk when I want it to.

Having said that, if I really needed the extra switches, I would probably rather sell the FM3 and get an FM9 instead of buying an FC6. The price difference from FM3 + FC6 vs. FM9 seems like FM9 would be the way to go unless you really just have to have the bigger scribble strips.

Heck, maybe later this year or next there will be an FM-10 that comes out. Who knows?
We have a pretty good idea that there will NEVER be a FM-10 based on Cliff's statement…

"The entire product line was conceived years ago. The goal was to maximize the number of parts shared between products. The footswitch PC boards do three switches each. An FM3 has one board. An FC6 has two. An FM9 has three and an FC12 has four. All products use the same LCDs, encoders, side plates, etc., etc. This reduces cost and repair inventory. The FC6 and the FM3 are basically the same enclosure. The FC12 and FM9 are basically the same enclosure. This isn't a huge market. Margins are thin so you have to think of ways to minimize development and product costs. Parts bin methodology is the route we took on this generation." [14]
There is no FC chassis to match, nor will the three switch modules divide into 10 very well.

As a proud owner of FM3 for gigs and FXIII for home, I say if you don't gig get the most you can afford.

I wouldn't worry about a flooded used market for the FM3. Fractal gear holds it's value and people always seem to want it. I'd say rather than the FM3 and buy an FC6, it's much easier and cost effective to get the FM9 and sell the FM3. just my opinion

My bassist got his invite, ordered, and sent it back within a day or two. Unless you need the extra switches or 2 amps, etc., you're not missing anything, and then you now have a unit that's twice as large and almost twice as expensive. Nothing about the cost/benefit analysis of the FM3 vs FM9 sounds attractive to me unless, again, you NEED what the FM9 has to offer. At that point, though, I'd just get the Axe Fx III.

The FM3, FM9, and Axe Fx III exist to provide choices. No solution works best for everybody and folks telling you “I did choice A, and it worked out so choice B and C are bad ideas” aren’t helping you much. If you can fit an FM3, and are considering adding an FC6, size isn’t a concern for you. The FM9 fits in that same space. If you want more switches you can go with the FM9 or add an FC6. One gives you size flexibility, because it can be split, while the other gives more power and capability.

For the record, I went with the FM9. Love it! But best? That’s going to be a “per person“ kind of call.

The FM3, FM9, and Axe Fx III exist to provide choices. No solution works best for everybody and folks telling you “I did choice A, and it worked out so choice B and C are bad ideas” aren’t helping you much. If you can fit an FM3, and are considering adding an FC6, size isn’t a concern for you. The FM9 fits in that same space. If you want more switches you can go with the FM9 or add an FC6. One gives you size flexibility, because it can be split, while the other gives more power and capability.

For the record, I went with the FM9. Love it! But best? That’s going to be a “per person“ kind of call.
^THIS^

Reactions: Ole
I passed on my invite. I’ll buy a 9 next year but for now the little guy works fine. Too much going on this year. Most of my presets are pushed to the speed limit which can be frustrating. So I use multiple presets of the same amp/cab with different effects. It’s fine really but it all comes down to do you really need it and can you afford it. In a year they might have another version out. It is possible. Larger text on the switch labels, turbo plus. Who knows. My daughters getting married and it’s my 25th anniversary. The wife says for 25 I have to go big lol.

I passed on my invite. I’ll buy a 9 next year but for now the little guy works fine. Too much going on this year. Most of my presets are pushed to the speed limit which can be frustrating. So I use multiple presets of the same amp/cab with different effects. It’s fine really but it all comes down to do you really need it and can you afford it. In a year they might have another version out. It is possible. Larger text on the switch labels, turbo plus. Who knows. My daughters getting married and it’s my 25th anniversary. The wife says for 25 I have to go big lol.
Congrats on your daughter getting married and for 25 years. We passed the 30 mark last year but we still celebrate each year like it was the first.

I suggest if anyone has the option to go bigger, go for it. Even if you don’t utilize all the functions now, there’s so much room to grow with in these units. Probably 75% of the tones/setups I’m going for now are not what I initially expected I’d be doing, but having the options opened up a lot of doors. Not worrying about the CPU running out is certainly a comfort.

You have a good idea of what the FM3 can or can't do for you. If your needs are satisfied now, you might be happier standing pat. The FM9 is twice as big and commensurately heavier. The impact of that surprised me a bit.

I prefer the FM9 because of the better preset compatibility with the III, but I kept the FM3 so that I can travel light when I prefer. Yeah, I have quite the investment in Fractal stuff. LOL

I use my FM3 when I don't need to do a lot of scene switching, like for non-cover band stuff like ABB trib band and blues sub work, and also if it is a REALLY tight stage.

FM9 gets the cover band stuff, which is in the majority.

FWIW, the FM3 is the backup for my FM9, and either my Pod Go or FR5 V2 (if I don't feel like carrying the PG) is my FM3 backup.

Back
Top Bottom