Rear and Front Inputs not the same?

kippiejr

Inspired
Hello,
Might have been discussed already. Wiring Ultra for show tomorrow night to go wireless. Moved to rear input to hook up Shure ULX4. Notice higher highs and more sizzle. So I unplugged the wireless and went direct guitar into rear input and the same thing. Moved back to front input guitar only and I am back to awesomeness... So i went front input to wireless and better than rear but natually seemed a little compressed. Had body pack on -20db and matched gain to like of guitar when input and verified input levels in I/O. Any others have this issue? Ideas. I cant believe I could here the wireless natural compression on the AXE FX. I have always known that wireless do add some compression but never heard it while in a tube amp.
Thxs

The front input has "magic sauce" over the rear inputs. I always run my wireless on 0db and it sounds great.

The so called Magic Sauce is a noise reduction emphasis/de-emphasis scheme where Input 1's Front Panel Input has a analog treble boost followed by a DSP treble cut (which is controlled by the front/rear parameter), so for flat response make sure when using the Front Input it's set to front, and the Rear Input to rear (unless you like some additional treble and noise).

Due to the analog variable some units like my Ultra do have a noticeable treble loss via the front input set to front, though it's not really a problem for electric guitar, but it is for other sources with more high freq content.

Whatever sounds best...

Hello,
Might have been discussed already. Wiring Ultra for show tomorrow night to go wireless. Moved to rear input to hook up Shure ULX4. Notice higher highs and more sizzle. So I unplugged the wireless and went direct guitar into rear input and the same thing. Moved back to front input guitar only and I am back to awesomeness... So i went front input to wireless and better than rear but natually seemed a little compressed. Had body pack on -20db and matched gain to like of guitar when input and verified input levels in I/O. Any others have this issue? Ideas. I cant believe I could here the wireless natural compression on the AXE FX. I have always known that wireless do add some compression but never heard it while in a tube amp.
Thxs

The so called Magic Sauce is a noise reduction emphasis/de-emphasis scheme where Input 1's Front Panel Input has a analog treble boost followed by a DSP treble cut (which is controlled by the front/rear parameter), so for flat response make sure when using the Front Input it's set to front, and the Rear Input to rear (unless you like some additional treble and noise).
^^^ This.

If you switch to the rear input and don't configure the Axe for it, you're cutting back the high end. On the other hand, if you're configured for rear input and switch over to front, you're hyping the highs.

I cant believe I could here the wireless natural compression on the AXE FX.
I've never heard of (or heard) "wireless natural compression."

My tinnitis must be worse than i thought cuz I plugged into my a-b switch with A going to front and B going to rear, and going back and forth between the two I could not hear a difference.

There's an audible difference between front and rear input on the Standard and Ultra, at least for the left side. I don't recall whether I heard a difference between Left Front and Right Rear. The "special sauce" would be kinda meaningless on the right side, and a difference may not exist.

There is no "left front" as the front input is mono.

"Front" is front, "Rear" is rear input 1 (L + R).

There is no noise reduction scheme on rear input 2 (L + R).

There's an audible difference between front and rear input on the Standard and Ultra, at least for the left side. I don't recall whether I heard a difference between Left Front and Right Rear. The "special sauce" would be kinda meaningless on the right side, and a difference may not exist.

The front input is Input 1 Left. It is very important to know this if you are using multiple inputs and panning them.

There is also Input 1 Left in the rear, and of course you select the correct one in the I/O menu. They cannot be used simultaneously.

I use a Sennheiser GW172 gen 1 wireless going to the front input for a year and a half...I recently switched to the rear input to tidy the look and confuse people that look at my rig...I notice no difference in sound between front/back inputs.

I use a Sennheiser GW172 gen 1 wireless going to the front input for a year and a half...I recently switched to the rear input to tidy the look and confuse people that look at my rig...I notice no difference in sound between front/back inputs.

My Ultra when switched to rear input in I/O has more treble. However I solved the ULXS4 issue by using the front input and leaving the body pack at 0db and gain turned all the way down (EMG's). Worked great last night at HOB. Now if they could only get some house wedges that did not sound like AM radios..lol
FOH sound was rich and full and awesome. Might be mute point now switching to AFX II here on out. Was not dialed in for last nights show.. Thanks for the input guys...
JLP

^^^ This.

If you switch to the rear input and don't configure the Axe for it, you're cutting back the high end. On the other hand, if you're configured for rear input and switch over to front, you're hyping the highs.

I've never heard of (or heard) "wireless natural compression."
Sorry forgot to repsond. Google wireless and compression for more insight.
With a typical analog wireless system (like that of Shure, Sennheiser, or Audio-Technica), the signal from the guitar gets compressed at the transmitter. This allows for better wireless transfer. The signal then gets expanded at the receiver before going on to the amp or mixer.

The problem with this system is that all this “companding” (compression and expanding) tends to suck the life out of the guitar’s tone. Guitarists sometimes complain that the guitar doesn’t respond as dynamically when plugged into a wireless system as it does when plugged directly into the amp.
etc..etc.. However the systems have come along way..

So for those of us not hearing any difference between Front and Rear L on the AxeFx2, should we check our hearing or is the difference so subtle that many would not be able to tell the difference? Like The_Kid, I switched to rear L input to clean up the look of things.

Sorry forgot to repsond. Google wireless and compression for more insight.
With a typical analog wireless system (like that of Shure, Sennheiser, or Audio-Technica), the signal from the guitar gets compressed at the transmitter...then gets expanded at the receiver before going on to the amp or mixer.

The problem with this system is that all this “companding” (compression and expanding) tends to suck the life out of the guitar’s tone.
Understood. But if your wireless is sucking the dynamics out of your tone, you need to get a different wireless rig. :) There are lots of 20-year-old wireless untis that get companding right.

So for those of us not hearing any difference between Front and Rear L on the AxeFx2, should we check our hearing or is the difference so subtle that many would not be able to tell the difference? Like The_Kid, I switched to rear L input to clean up the look of things.
If you properly configure your Axe for the input you're using (front vs. rear), there will be no audible difference. Your hearing is fine. :)

If you properly configure your Axe for the input you're using (front vs. rear), there will be no audible difference. Your hearing is fine. :)

That's not my experience. With a Strat with some crisp single coils there was several dB's of high end attenuation already from 8 kHz. Using humbuckers and distorted sounds, you likely won't hear it. It is very apparent to me though. The presets I have now were made using the front input...if I switch to the rear input they sound unpleasantly thin and harsh.

When using the Axe II with 4 CM, the rear input sounds like going straight to amp. The front input does not.

Again, this is using crisp pickups and amps. Humbucker types and high gainers can forget about it 8)

Back
Top Bottom