Reaper newbie help

cheosamad21

Hi guys, this is my first post on the forum so let me start by saying hello and that I'm so excited to be a member of the Fractal Audio Axe FX community.
Love my unit.
Now, I have a configuration regarding Reaper. I've used Reaper for all my recording in the past and it's served me well so I wish to stick with it, however I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the Axe FX's sound to show up in it to record. I've tried going to preferences and setting the Axe FX as my input and output as both an ASIO and a Direct signal but still no luck. I've had digital interfaces in the past, and with them I simply plugged in through the USB port, armed a track and immediately my tone was coming through and could be recorded directly. Clearly that won't be as simple with the Axe FX unless I'm just making a silly mistake, so I was hoping someone on here could help me out.
If it makes any difference, I'm running windows 7 and the latest Axe FX firmware. Please get back to me I can't wait to start recording! Thanks!

I found out what the problem (strangely) was. It was of all things a faulty USB port. The port works fine with any other device I plug in, and when the axe fx is plugged in I can use axe edit ect through it but for whatever reason it wasn't sending a signal to my DAW.
Anyhow, by changing USB ports it solved that problem.

Now the only problem I'm having is the signal in the DAW is INCREDIBLY low. I tried going into axe edit and turning up the output level but all that seems to happen is I get a huge amount of fuzz added to my tone but hardly any change in the level shown in the daw. Turning it up in the DAW hardly does anything either and even maxing it again just adds horrible fuzz.
I also made sure I adjusted my input level until I'm just shy of clipping. The tone is at a normal volume coming out of my speakers and is even at the same volume as everything else when I'm playing, but the volume value shown in reaper is still incredibly low even if when I play it its as loud as the backing track I'm playing with THROUGH REAPER.

I took a picture.
I'm trying to record a cover of Icarus Lives by Periphery, as you can see the recorded signal is incredibly low but when I'm playing the sound coming from my speakers is at the same volume as the backing track being played through reaper. (Note, in this picture I've even maxed the track volume for the guitar tone and left the backing track volume at its default setting and no luck) Any ideas?

10806387_1507149049554396_936384969119513667_n.jpg

Was it a USB 3.0 port? Sometimes the Axe doesn't play well with certain USB 3.0 ports. USB 3.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible with 2.0 devices, but that is not always the case.

What kind of levels are your presets averaging at in the new VU meters in the Utility menu? The level coming from your speakers can be deceiving since you can have the front panel output knobs and power amp levels turned up really loud and still have a really wimpy grid signal level.

This may not help you but do you have reaper set at 48k for the sample rate? I don't use the axe as my interface but I seem to remember if you do, set your daw to 48k.

I tried moving around to a different USB port at the back of my PC and it completely solved the problem! I think when I built this PC I used multiple types of USB ports and forgot the layout. It's been a few years. Thanks for the help guys, I can tell I'm gonna love this forum.

Now the only problem I'm having is the signal in the DAW is INCREDIBLY low.

Are you sure? I mean are you just going by the size of the blobs on the screen, because (at least in every DAW I have used) you can zoom that in and out. If the bottom track is a mastered periphery track, your wave form view is almost certainly zoomed out a bit.

Just an idea.

Edit: you fixed it while I was replying :) Enjoy the forum and your new Axe Fx!

Back
Top Bottom