Reamping With Effects In Loop

• Thread starter Deleted member 79338
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 79338

Morning all

So I have my new AXE FX 3 and I have to say I am loving it. I will do a review at some point but I wanted to spend my 30 days trying it out first.

Tonight I started to record a song that I originally used my JCM800 on and I have to say, the Axe FX blew it away, the song is sounding huge and beyond what I expected.

There is however one element I am struggling with:

I have Cubase set up correctly, I have been recording my DI whilst monitoring (not through Cubase) then auditioning a few amps and reamping the dry signal with no issue.

Now I have my Wah and a few pedals in the loop of the Axe Fx and whilst playing I can hear the Wah and all my effects without issue, but when I reamp, I cannot get the Wah to work.

This is my patch:

Capture.PNG

The M-Plex is set to route 2 so I can monitor my signal. If I set the M-Plex to Route 1 I can play along and use the pedals in my loop, but it cuts the reamp signal off.​

I have tried moving In USB, Out 3 and In 3 down to Route 2 and setting the M-Plex to Route 2 but that did not work.​

Any ideas why with the routes above I can use my Wah when monitoring but not when Reamping?​

Thank you​

Mike​

Last edited by a moderator:
Why use a multiplexer? Why not just bypass whatever input you are not using.
If you do use a multiplexer for that purpose, you would put the multiplexer before the out/in 3.

The multiplexer is an input selector. So the way you have it set up, Selecting row 1 for the input select parameter will get its signal from the signal from row 1 (which in your case is IN 3 - that is input 1+usb+out3+in3) , selecting row 2 will get its signal from the shunt in row 2, column 2 (which is passing input 1 + usb . If you select input 1 for the input select parameter in the multiplex will receive the signal from input 1 (so input 1->multiplex). If you select input 2 you get usb->mutiplex.

Think of the mutiplex as a return that can get its signal from any rows attached to its inputs or any input (1,2,3,4,usb 5/6,usb 7/8). Selecting input 1,2,3,4,usb 5/6,usb7/8 will tap the signal from those respective sources and ignore any row inputs that are connected to the multiplex.

The multiplexer would work like a loop bypass there (while anything from either input block in 1st column gets through) but you can also just remove the parallel shunts and bypass the In 3 block to do that. Still you might want to move it earlier to prevent any noise at In 1 from being added while reamping.

I would look at the L/R levels (grid/meters view on the hardware) and check input/output modes in the I/O menu, plus your DAW track balance setting. If everything is "stereo" and you're sending USB audio as only left or right while the external pedals use the opposite side, you'd run into this problem.

Cheers both

I will take a look tonight.

I use the M-Plex as it was part of a tutorial in one of Leon's videos about using effects in the loop. As it worked when I just play generally I assumed the same process would work when Reamping.

The logic JavaJunkie applied at the end of his post does seem logical to me. I may have to play around later with the order of the effects.

I like the M-Plex as I can route my guitar direct to the processing without it running via my effects board so reduces any hum/tone sucking from these devices unless I am using them.

The Axe FX, once you wrap your head around the inputs and outputs is pretty logicall which is great. This just stumped me a little.

I'll try the suggestions later.

Thanks for taking the time.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the M-Plex as I can route my guitar direct to the processing without it running via my effects board so reduces any hum/tone sucking from these devices unless I am using them.
Bypassing the input block (remove MPlex and parallel shunts before it) will accomplish the same thing. (See Axe-FX III manual pg. 31, "Inserting Outboard Gear".)

Cheers Bakerman

I looked in the manual last night but it didn't solve my issue. I was 6 hours into recording and playing so it very well may have been fatigue.

Hello again

OK so I got this working and to be honest, I just overcomplicated things.

I removed the M-Plex and dragged all blocks down to a single row (not shown below is the connection between Out 3 and In 3):

Capture.PNG
(I know there are a load of Shunts but I will scale back the profile once I finish the song)

This gave me my effects loop so I could use my wah which is great and disabling IN 3 but using the cable between them meant I could flip my Effect Loop off using an alternative channel works great.

I think it just got too late and I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Cheers guys, led me down the right path.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom