Reamping Troubleshooting (Feedback?)

imrecs

Inspired
Running into a problem.

I've got a patch with a delay block (set up like a Boss DD-6 in warp mode) that I use in conjunction with volume swells from my guitar. The patch works great when playing directly through.

I decided to record a DI signal (via USB) without any volume swell from the guitar directly, and automate the volume swells in my DAW via fade ins.

Now when I try to reamp this signal out through the patch (VIA USB), I am hearing some high pitched feedback that's not there when I play my guitar directly through the patch.

At first I thought it might be a level thing, though the levels of the DI I'm sending out aren't any louder than when I swell up my guitar on it's own...I've tried decreasing the level of the DI going back to the Fractal, but no matter how low I go, it still gets a high pitched feedback. When I play directly through, even qwith much hotter levels (i.e. a boost pedal) the patch shows no signs of this feedback.

Any ideas on how to reamp this signal without getting this feedback? What could be the issue?

Thanks!

Usually that means software monitoring is causing a loop. Check/disable monitoring option for any tracks using Axe-FX as input.

I don't have anything going on in terms of software monitoring. Just soloing the track with the DI on it, sending it back through the Axe FX (monitoring directly off the Axe FX outputs) and recording it into Logic on tracks 1 and 2 (which is muted so there is no software monitoring at all). Just monitoring it off the Axe's Outputs.

Any other thoughts? Thanks

Can you post a recording of this noise and/or a screenshot of the track controls? My best guess is still that you're getting a loop from software monitoring. There might be a setting that allows monitoring even though the track is muted.

While main input source = USB: If you turn up the Axe metronome or a synth block (last column, no shunts before it) and see its input LEDs light in response, that's a sign of a software monitoring loop.

software monitoring in logic is definitely turned off. even when i don't have an audio track set to record inputs 1 and 2, and i'm just monitoring the DI being sent through the Axe FX via USB and monitoring off outputs 1 and 2 on the Axe, i hear the feedback.

Recording.

I take the track that has the DI I captured via input 3 on the fractal. Solo it. Turn input to USB. My monitors are connected to outputs 1 and 2.

Whether or not I arm tracks in logic to record the reamped signal, or just monitoring the reamped signal in realtime, I am getting this feedback.

Can someone confirm that I am taking the right steps to reamp? When capturing the DI signal I set a track for input 3. Got the DI signal on that track. Set I/O Input Source to USB. Solo the track with the DI in Logic. Hit play. The track is sent back into the Fractal and I hear it coming from my speakers connected to Outputs 1-2. The next step would be to arm a track with input 1 and 2 to record the reamped signal, though to clarify, I am hearing this feedback before I even do this step.

In Logic X I have software monitoring set to off.

Here is a screen shot of the session and the patch. Im not sure how to attach the patch though I would gladly do that.

A4, D3, G4, etc. Are single notes captured via Fractal's DI with automated volume swells programmed.
The External Midi tracks is set to control the feedback parameter of the delay block...this basically functions like a DD-6 warp mode. When sending that exact midi automation through while playing through the patch I get no feedback, only when reamping, so it's not a problem with the delay block or settings.

Reamp Feedback J.jpg

Can anyone help me figure this one out?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Reamp FeedbackJPG.jpg
    Reamp FeedbackJPG.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 12
Can someone confirm that I am taking the right steps to reamp? When capturing the DI signal I set a track for input 3. Got the DI signal on that track. Set I/O Input Source to USB. Solo the track with the DI in Logic. Hit play. The track is sent back into the Fractal and I hear it coming from my speakers connected to Outputs 1-2. The next step would be to arm a track with input 1 and 2 to record the reamped signal, though to clarify, I am hearing this feedback before I even do this step.

In Logic X I have software monitoring set to off.

Here is a screen shot of the session and the patch. Im not sure how to attach the patch though I would gladly do that.

A4, D3, G4, etc. Are single notes captured via Fractal's DI with automated volume swells programmed.
The External Midi tracks is set to control the feedback parameter of the delay block...this basically functions like a DD-6 warp mode. When sending that exact midi automation through while playing through the patch I get no feedback, only when reamping, so it's not a problem with the delay block or settings.

attachment.php

Thanks!

I use Logic X also. There have been occasions where I faked myself out, and low and behold, my macbook pro built-in mic was active, and I was getting ambient noise. I coughed during a silent moment, and saw meters move and lights blink, so I coughed again, and it happened again.

Check apple/system preferences/sound and make sure nothing goofy is going on. I've fought settings conflicts between Logic X and the mac's system settings - one day, for 4 hours, about 2 months ago.

Reboot your machine without the Axe plugged in via usb, and open Logic. Then close Logic, plug the axe in again, and open Logic again. Double check you don't have a built in mic open somewhere.

Just tried that. I did have my display mic on. turned it off, followed your steps and still no luck. I tried recording the reamp signal with the speakers off too, and still feedback.

Any other thoughts/steps to try?

Thanks!

You indicate here that you "Solo the track with the DI in Logic".
So just to clarify - maybe i'm just confused - but why do you have the direct track solo'ed at all?
(I never solo the direct rack - i just assign it to an output such as S/Pdif or the USB port, and only after i've recorded the part and ready to re-amp)

ready to reamp. I solo it so that Logic doesn't send all the tracks into the Axe FX for reamping. Not sure what the USB port is...maybe that's where I am going wrong? When I have the Axe plugged in Via USB as my interface, outputs 1 and 2 in logic go back into the Axe FX...so if i don't solo the track, the entire song goes through the "reamp". Is this not the way to do it? I learned it from a YouTube video.

ready to reamp. I solo it so that Logic doesn't send all the tracks into the Axe FX for reamping. Not sure what the USB port is...maybe that's where I am going wrong? When I have the Axe plugged in Via USB as my interface, outputs 1 and 2 in logic go back into the Axe FX...so if i don't solo the track, the entire song goes through the "reamp". Is this not the way to do it? I learned it from a YouTube video.

OK, just so i understand what stage of the process you encounter the trouble - you indicated that you "Solo the track with the DI in Logic" when 'capturing' the direct signal, but i now assume you only solo the track after you finish recording the direct rack, right?

In logic you should have an 'input monitor' button on each track, for when you want to hear what's coming in on that track from your interface. Turn this off during re-amping if you don't already. Another way to go might be to set the 'input' for the track (with the direct signal recorded on it) to 'none' while you are re-amping that track...

Correct, I've already tracked the DI signal and am trying to reamp it through the Axe...so I solo it and turn input mode to USB, which sends the signal back into the Axe FX. That's the only way I know how to reamp. There is no input monitoring button or record button armed. Tried setting the input of the DI track to non, though that didn't change anything. No record enable buttons pressed at all, no input monitoring, no software monitoring. Just a single low level DI track solo'd playing to outputs 1 and 2, and the I/O on the Fractal set to Main Input Source USB.

Last edited:
Have you tried changing presets (after you save the one you're working with)?

Here's another thought - I assume you get the feedback even while the DAW transport is stopped...
If so, try closing your DAW program and see if the 'feedback' stops.

Last edited:
I don't get feedback when transport is stopped. I only hear the feedback when the DI signal is being sent back out into the fractal, which requires me to hit play...This is really perplexing me.

Do you have USB channels 1,2 coming from the AXE and going into your DAW? What input channel(s) is/are USB 1,2 set to within your DAW?

Back
Top Bottom