Reamping issues

ConnorGilks

Experienced
So I tracked a part through a DI and split the signal, the DI out went to my interface, and the "thru" went to the AxeFX II. I've edited the part and now want to reamp it and tweak the tone, but when I reamp it there seems to be a certain fuzziness and messiness around the notes. The main tone is still pretty much there, but it's not as clean as when I first tracked it, despite the patch being identical. I tracked through the front input and am reamping through the rear input (I have things setup this way so I never have to change my setup to do either task).

I thought maybe the signal coming out of my interface might be a different volume, but the fader in logic is at 0db, so shouldn't it be the same level the DI was recorded at if there's no other volume control for the output?

EDIT: I dropped the fader to -16db and it seems to be doing better now, but trying to find the EXACT sweet spot is a nightmare, is there an easy reference here? It's still not the same, just closer, no matter what volume I set it to. I'll lose the fuzz, but I'll also lose the aggression and punch.

EDIT 2: Would a reamp box fix my issue? Reamping over USB is a pain when you like working with real pedals, and makes my audio device setup a little cranky and slow.

Last edited:
You don't have a reference now, since the recording level is unknown. Recording through the axe USB keeps the di-levels correct for reamping. If you have something you can use for a constant tone, (looper pedal, synth, etc) that would be easiest way to find the correct level. Make a patch without any blocks, (or just a volume boost), play and observe the output levels. Then play your recording and adjust its track volume so that you get same output level from Axe.

Last edited:
Analog reamping never worked satisfactorily for me. The noise was always unacceptable. I use the Axe's USB exclusively now. You have to record the raw track at 24 bit 48K, but the results are perfection.

You don't have a reference now, since the recording level is unknown. Recording through the axe USB keeps the di-levels correct for reamping. If you have something you can use for a constant tone, (looper pedal, synth, etc) that would be easiest way to find the correct level. Make a patch without any blocks, (or just a volume boost), play and observe the output levels. Then play your recording and adjust its track volume so that you get same output level from Axe.

But why would it be any different? If I've recorded a DI before it even hit the AxeFX, then sent that exact DI out of my interface without any volume adjustment, should it not be the same level, if the only volume control is in my DAW and it's at 0db?

Analog reamping never worked satisfactorily for me. The noise was always unacceptable. I use the Axe's USB exclusively now. You have to record the raw track at 24 bit 48K, but the results are perfection.

That's really annoying, especially when I'm working with a 44.1 session...

But why would it be any different? If I've recorded a DI before it even hit the AxeFX, then sent that exact DI out of my interface without any volume adjustment, should it not be the same level, if the only volume control is in my DAW and it's at 0db?

What type of input did you use on the interface? That reasoning might be true for a line input, but not other types. Unity gain from a mic/instrument input monitored through a line out wouldn't be a very logical design.

It's also not ideal to aim for the original guitar level from an interface's line out. That's just going to result in a noisier reamp than necessary. You're better off sending a higher level out, then lowering the Axe input block's "level" parameter. Or use input volume CC for a (temporary) global adjustment while reamping in this way.

But you are recording with an unknown input sensitivity in your setup, so your output can easily be 5 times hotter than a guitar would output. Anyways, the peaks of your DI track should be in the -10...20db range for it to work without adjustments. Also, the input stage of the Axe is likely better than any interface's DI input, so its a good idea to start with that.

Last edited:
That's really annoying, especially when I'm working with a 44.1 session...

I agree. Another problem is that the Axe II USB won't let you listen to your reamped track along with the pre-existing audio in your DAW using ASIO.

But the results of USB reamping are stellar enough for me to force myself to use 48K for all of my projects now. I even switched my DAW from Sonar to Reaper just so I could use ASIO4ALL and listen to the reamp and existing tracks simultaneously.

I really REALLY wanted to get analog reamping to work. But I never could. It sounded like shit no matter what gear or techniques I tried. For squeaky clean tones, maybe. But any amount of distortion/gain made it hopeless. If you do find a method that works, please post it.

But why would it be any different?

It has an extra round trip A/D->D/A, which adds a little noise. That said, I've used analog reamping with the Axe-Fx on some pretty big records. Often, when you're reamping, you can set the gain levels by ear -- as long as you're not trying to re-match the sound of an existing track (and even then sometimes.)

Am I correct that reamping in this method does not allow you to hear the tone you are dialing in "in the mix"?

Am I correct that reamping in this method does not allow you to hear the tone you are dialing in "in the mix"?

If your DAW supports ASIO4ALL, you can use the Axe's interface simultaneously with your regular audio interface and have no compromises. Reaper works flawlessly in this manner (for me). Sonar never did (for me).

Let me also add that my analog reamping experience was when I had the Mark 1, which lacked ultrasonic filtering. I have not tried it with my XL, and have no need to, since I now use USB exclusively.

I'm on Mac, so there's no ASIO here, unfortunately.

It has an extra round trip A/D->D/A, which adds a little noise. That said, I've used analog reamping with the Axe-Fx on some pretty big records. Often, when you're reamping, you can set the gain levels by ear -- as long as you're not trying to re-match the sound of an existing track (and even then sometimes.)

I understand how additional conversion adds noise, but like I said in the OP it's not just an issue of noise (buzz/hiss) it's actually changing the tone quite a bit, and creating a fuzziness around the notes. And yes, I am trying to match another tone, the tone I tracked with - which is using the exact same patch. Is there really no workaround for analog reamping to at least get the levels matched properly and accurately?

Is there a way I can use the AxeFX II to record and reamp over USB without having to change audio devices? Everything goes through my audio interface, and I want to be able to reamp live with the mix playing like I do with an analog setup.

I'm on Mac, so there's no ASIO here, unfortunately.

Is there a way I can use the AxeFX II to record and reamp over USB without having to change audio devices? Everything goes through my audio interface, and I want to be able to reamp live with the mix playing like I do with an analog setup.

I don't know if this will help your particular situation, but I figured I'd post it:

http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/quick-tip-use-multiple-audio-interfaces-on-mac-os-x--audio-9095

I believe Macs support creating aggregate audio devices native in the OS. Windows doesn't support that so we are forced to use ASIO4ALL as a work around.

Edit: steadystate beat me to it. The article posted explains how to do it.

Got a question for you guys, would a reamp box solve my issue? Because reamping over USB makes using pedals a bit complicated and annoying.

I've successfully recorded DI and reamped thru sp/dif while mixing through my audio interface...works great.

I've successfully recorded DI and reamped thru sp/dif while mixing through my audio interface...works great.

Yeah, but unfortunately that also makes reamping with real pedals and rack gear a bit more complicated. Honestly, the setup I have now sounds good, but it doesn't sound the way it should, so I just want to get that extra 10% back.

This sounds like an impedance issue for sure, which is why reamp boxes exist. Definitely give one a shot! I like the MW1.

Back
Top Bottom