Really great trick

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
I just had to share because this is absolutely wicked! I have been playing around on the factory preset 077 studio leads. I substituted one of the VaI GOT delays.. but here is the cool part.

the factory preset has a compressor at the end of the chain just before the out block. I was struggling with getting high notes to sing so I added the pitch follower to the level parameter on the comp block. I have it not doing any boost until about 80% thru the pitch follower range, then it jumps up 3.4db.

now this is not a new trick but somehow everything came together and the result is any kind of pinch harms just sing out of the preset so beautifully. It is highly addictive!

Quite interesting - so playing notes way way up the neck (19 fret on ) this helps them be more audible?
Yes that too and that was my original intent. The happy accident is pinch harms come out louder, and really just digging in I think creates a little burst of noise that occasionally triggers a gain increase also.

What am I missing here? Is the compressor type relevant? I've put the pitch follower on the compressor level exactly as shown, and no matter what I play, how hard I hit, how much I "pluck", that marker barely moves along the bottom axis, rarely if ever hitting the slope. Pinch harmonics don't change with regard to volume or sustain, same with or without the pitch follower.

I'm sure I've got to be missing something, any notion as to what it is? Perhaps the compressor type? I've tried with Analog compression, JFET compression, etc. I understand it's supposed to be subtle, but the yellow marker barely moves and never makes it to the slope. It's so subtle here that it's imperceptible both aurally and visually.

I'm using it at the end of a simple chain with the USA Lead Mid Gain amp, a cab, and the comp block at the end of the chain. Any ideas?

EDIT: went and looked at the Studio Lead compression block and set mine to the same, Studio FF Compressor. Still nothing but an occasional spike up to the slope, same as above.

What am I missing here? Is the compressor type relevant? I've put the pitch follower on the compressor level exactly as shown, and no matter what I play, how hard I hit, how much I "pluck", that marker barely moves along the bottom axis, rarely if ever hitting the slope. Pinch harmonics don't change with regard to volume or sustain, same with or without the pitch follower.

I'm sure I've got to be missing something, any notion as to what it is? Perhaps the compressor type? I've tried with Analog compression, JFET compression, etc. I understand it's supposed to be subtle, but the yellow marker barely moves and never makes it to the slope. It's so subtle here that it's imperceptible both aurally and visually.

I'm using it at the end of a simple chain with the USA Lead Mid Gain amp, a cab, and the comp block at the end of the chain. Any ideas?

EDIT: went and looked at the Studio Lead compression block and set mine to the same, Studio FF Compressor. Still nothing but an occasional spike up to the slope, same as above.
Is the level dB going up on the high notes? If so, maybe try copy and paste the block from the Studio Lead preset? That's what
I did anyway, and it sure seems like I can tell a difference with it on. Other than that, not sure what the problem could be.

Is the level dB going up on the high notes? If so, maybe try copy and paste the block from the Studio Lead preset? That's what
I did anyway, and it sure seems like I can tell a difference with it on. Other than that, not sure what the problem could be.
Thanks for the reply brother! I just did that and it did indeed appear to change things a bit. I am getting a very brief 0.3-1.5db punch on very high notes (15+ fret on the B & E). I was getting a maximum of 0.2db flux on anything I played, so this was a definite improvement. I also did this in the meantime on the actual Studio Leads preset and it seemed to have more of an effect there, so there is probably a multitude of subtleties that are in play and I just need to step up my game on detecting the small stuff. (My ears just aren't what they used to be, we were sooo stupid in the 80's and 90's, playing at maxed volumes on stage night after night, payin' for it in the 21st century! Hell I didn't think I'd live to see it! :) :))

I suspect even though I knew it was a subtle effect that I didn't quite expect just how subtle. :)

So much to learn, it's things like this that I learn from and get the confidence to explore these things more and more! Thanks again for the reply, and to all for sharing! I absolutely LOVE this forum!

The indicator should be moving quite a bit. If it’s not play with modifier settings. That said the way I have it is almost too much. It’s fun to play with but for actual use in a band scenario I would probably pull it back a little bit.. my point is it should be quite noticeable when playing.

Also trading out the delay block for one of the GOT Vai delay blocks sweetened up the preset a bunch. It is highly addictive with those 2 changes.

I've used the pitch follower to minimize pedal stomping. Such as getting an octaver to enable in a certain range of notes and turning off a gate simultaneously, and back on when I go back to riffing. Great feature and the ways to use it is almost endless.

I've used the pitch follower to minimize pedal stomping. Such as getting an octaver to enable in a certain range of notes and turning off a gate simultaneously, and back on when I go back to riffing. Great feature and the ways to use it is almost endless.
Can you share how you accomplished this? I would also like to know other ways to utilize pitch follower if you have the time to list some. Cheers and thanks

Back
Top Bottom