Real Friedman BE-50 or Axe-Fx 3?

Is it worth it buying a Friedman BE50 Deluxe, or should I buy another Axe Fx 3? I sold my axe 3 a few months ago, but the only amps I really ever use in the axe were the Friedmans

I'm just thinking maybe if I'm only using the Friedman models, then maybe it would be simpler dialing in tones on the real amp. And use a Two Tone Torpedo for recording like Robert Baker does.

I mean, Im just asking for opinions on here because it is A LOT more expensive to buy a Friedman head $3,500 and the Torpedo $800, plus effects pedals etc, than it is to buy another Axe 3 for $2,250.... so I don't want to just make a impulse buy. I've never played a real Friedman, but I like playing the Friedman models in the Fractal and I like all the clips of real Friedmans I've heard on YouTube. I don't wanna get both because I think that'd just be overkill and if I bought the amp and sold it I'd take a big hit in $$$ loss on the used market. Dos anyone know just how accurate the Friedman models in the Fractal are? I mean, can people tell in a double blind test which is which if the amp is miked and recorded?

Last edited:
Just get the Friedman if thats all you use. I thought the same until I started using other things like Citrus, Boger, FAS, Thrash, Fremen, etc.....then I WANTED to branch out....which i was coming from a MESA ONLY mentality....i was between an axe 3 and dual rectifier

I went with the axe 3 because it has it all, plus more, and i wont need to upgrade anything, like for another 10 years which to me means, EVER again

True, True.... I mean I like the Fenders and Marshalls in the Fractal too.... but the Friedman models are just my goto amp that I really use 90 percent of the time. Sometimes I feel like I get lost in the rabbit hole of tweaking though trying to see if I can make it even better and don't play as much as I'd like. I haven't owned a tube amp in about twelve years now... but was thinking about it now that there's Friedman, I didn't even know about the Friedman company until I got the Fractals models of it.

I think using just one amp model on the Axe is worth the entire cost of the axe. I never understand why people feel pressured to use more than what they need all the time. The value of the axe is more than trying to use every single thing it has.

That's one reason why Tony McKenzie reviewsis so retarded! All he does is complain abouty the price! But buying the Fractal is less expensive than a real amp head. Why isn't he making video reviews about how inexpensive the parts are in a FRiedman $3500 head? I would buy the Fractal just for the Friedman models.... I'm just on the fence though as to does owning the real head have any worth when you could just buy the Fractal. Like is the grass greener.

I guess if you want to gig also, you should add to the Axe price also some powered cab, monitor or whatever, but being only for recording, perhaps the Axe makes more sense given the outstanding quality of the models. You will have those lovely Friedman tones right on spot plus a lot of flexibility for effects and other cool stuff.

I use 60% of the time JCM800 tones, have actually a 1982/3 head, with a switchable SIR# 39 Mod, and when use it through the Fractal X-Load vs the model, properly dialed, cannot tell the difference on a mix. Just turn it on now to keep the unit dry :)

I think using just one amp model on the Axe is worth the entire cost of the axe. I never understand why people feel pressured to use more than what they need all the time. The value of the axe is more than trying to use every single thing it has.
THE SINGULAR reason I bought the Axe 3....I said to myself,” not only do i get one of the best interfaces, and its specific for guitarists, but if there is just ONE mesa rig thats perfect, I’m good to go.”

And you know what, I only use Mesa half the time now

but the Friedman models are just my goto amp that I really use 90 percent of the time.

Here's your answer. The other 10% you're going to continue to acquire gear (and spend more money) when the AFXIII already encompasses dynamic needs in a single unit.

It's like asking "hey, I want to go on vacation but I'll be on the beach 90% of the time. Should I go to this one resort that's 1K more and only has one beach? oh and I gotta pay for all my drinks... Or should I go to this better than average all-inclusive with 120 beaches and 200 excursions?"

Always a choice, but when in doubt, choose Fractal. ;)

You didn't mention why you sold the Axe 3, but it sounds like you were happy with the sound of the Friedman out of the Axe 3. As you point out, the Fractal is the much cheaper alternative to the Friedman/Torpedo route you're considering; especially when you start adding the cost of effects. As other well respected members have mentioned, the Axe 3 is worth the price of just one of the multiple Friedman models offered in the Axe 3; never mind the vast number of other amp models.

If you feel like the amp would be easier to dial in based on the amp having less options to tweak, just remember that you don't have to tweak every option in the Axe 3 to get where you want; not in my experience anyway. It's pretty quick and easy to dial in a solid tone, and you have the option to display authentic amp controls to simplify things. Take a look at Leon Todd's 5 minute tone videos for ideas on how to quickly dial in solid tones, if you haven't already. There are so many resources, courses, and the always helpful forum available to accelerate learning the Axe 3, exploring IRs, etc.

This discussion may provide some additional help with your choice:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/making-the-switch-from-friedman-be-100-to-axe-fx-iii.149439/

Well, the cost of the Axe FX III may seem less expensive at first, but factor in the FC 6 or 12, plus a Poweramp, possibly rack, and you're about on par with eachother on price.

My setup (the above) was around 4k. I already have my "go to" amp, a Mesa Mark V. Inside the axe I play mesa 95% of the time and I still think it's worth it.

1. Amazing tone
2. Routing and flexibility (my friend comes over and we jam on one unit, he doesn't have to lug anything over)
3. Spot on replicas of my Mark V sounds
4. Recording and playing loud or silent ( love the headphone out)
5. Kills most GAS for effects. I've never been an effects guy but I'm always curious. I'll mess around with an effect block for one day and go back to my core tones the next.
6. It kills a lot of "what if" GAS for amps. You realize a lot of amps sound similar. Now you don't have to make the decision of which to buy. Just rotate the knobs and change what you want
7. No tubes!
8. No patch cables and power supplies for effects
9. Easy to audition variations of your sound. This is a huge thing for me. Ever turn a knob on your amp or 10 band eq and wish you never did? Now you're frustrated trying to get your old sound back. With the axe just save as a new preset or snapshot using axe edit.
10. All flavors of clean mean and in between. I don't know much about Friedman cleans or breakup tones, but I've always favored Fenders for those tones.

Whichever one you get, don't look back. Life is too short to spend time regretting decisions that otherwise don't matter in the grand scheme of things. Have fun and play your gear with whatever free time you have! Hope this helped.

If you're undecided, go with the Axe FX III. Even if all you use is the Friedman stuff, there are multiple Friedman options for you to choose. I would love to have a BE-50 Deluxe, but I'm not selling the Fractal to get it. I own several amps that are also modeled in the Axe FX III, including a Deluxe Reverb, 64 Super Reverb, Tucana 3, but the III is what I gig on because I can have all of them and any effect/controller I need for any gig in one portable setup.

I seriously doubt you'd regret the purchase of a BE-50 based on tone. Awesome amp, Friedman's best yet in my opinion. In the end, it's your call, mate. And it's great to have choices with good outcomes on either side.

I have to say that I have only been playing the Axe III for about a month and can already tell it is worth its weight in gold. As mostly a bedroom guitarist these days, having all effects, cabinets, and amps in one place is fantastic. I only use one or two amps, but the convienece of having everything in the same place cannot go unrecognized. The BE-50 is great but expensive. Not to mention adding in pedals, cab, load box, etc. I think you may be better off with an Axe, but that is up to you!

Back
Top Bottom