real amp tone match

echo44

Inspired
ok so i posted this latest attempt on gear page
My prior attempts I was way off Now I am getting much closer
to TM my deluxe fender reverb!

ok so I went back to the drawing board made a new IR
and new TM and this time instead of recording the axe through the speakers
I went straight to the computer via usb.
I also used a strat excuse the playing was just trying to play some open chords
not to distract from the tone

here is the deluxe fender 1965 all original

and here is another IR and axe with tm the IR was made with different level

here is one more the levels are better

what do you think? Suggestions?(other than guitar lessons and or a tuner;) )
No effects or eq changes were made

Seems to me the first clip has just a bit more bite or grit to it, and a tad more warmth. Still like both of the other clips, though.

The Deluxe Reverb is already matched. You shouldn't even need to match it. Just shoot the IR and you're done.

The Deluxe Reverb is already matched. You shouldn't even need to match it. Just shoot the IR and you're done.

So there'd be no point in people like me matching our vintage amps, since accurate models are already on board the Axe? I know all of my vintage AC30s sound different. Maybe I could tweak the Axe model to get close, but wouldn't a tone match work just as well and maybe be faster? Same thing with my Tweed Bassman...why not tone match it? I guess that's the counter argument.

I think that people are getting confused with the matching. As you said, the Deluxe Reverb has been matched meaning the amp has been matched. However, the cabinet sound will vary depending on the construction of the physical cabinet and the speakers that are loaded in it. So to match a specific Deluxe Reverb combo, the chances are that the amp block is spot on but one needs to create an IR of the cab to use with it.

I suspect the same is true with other amps. For example, I have a hard time with the AC30 but I think it's likely due to the IRs, not the amp model. Unfortunately I don't have a reference amp to obtain the IR. Which AC30 did you model anyway? Was it a specific model? I don't know much about the internals of it but I do know that I like the sound of the early 1960's AC30 Top Boost over the newer ones (including the hand mades). Hopefully the characteristic sound is really due to the cab. If so, eventually I'll get one to make an IR (and TMA while I'm at it).

I made a tone match of the deluxe module (randall RM50) with NOS tubes.
I found that it helps with PA-OFF (only preamp). With PA-ON the Axe sounds better and in this case the tone match doesn't help.
I wonder if this is only the model with PA-ON which is tone matched inside this Axe?

I matched it because I can't seem to get close with the stock preset as compared
to the sound in the first clip which is my fender deluxe reverb.
There is a certain Mojo about that amp?
I like all the other fender presets especially the bassman however
have never got anywhere with the deluxe i think its #3?

Back
Top Bottom